Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Antenna TV Spends Mother's Day with Hazel; HBO Picks Up Comedies Veep, Silicon Valley
CBS Midseason Pilot Review: Bad Teacher - Premieres Thursday, April 24; Rookie Blue Coming to ION Television in Fall 2014
Bill Cosby to Be Honored with Johnny Carson Award; SNL Celebrates 40th Anniversary in 2015
Sullivan & Son Returns with All-Star Guests; George Lopez Developing Animated Series
Review of Tonight's Devious Maids Premiere; Week 30 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: SNL Looking to 40th Anniversary; New Mill Creek DVD Releases
The CW Summer 2014 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 21, 2014)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
TMC

Default 4 TV Show Genres That Need To Disappear

http://whatculture.com/tv/4-tv-show-...-disappear.php

Quote:
As television makes progress through the years, we’ve seen some genres that are adding up to the current ones that are shown now on the media. And while some of these ones are really good, some of them are nothing but complete trash, that do nothing but contaminate our intelligence and destroy the media. There are also some old ones that are dying, but refuse to do so, and while still trying to maintain themselves along the years and, “reinvent” themselves, they’re not doing anything in order to actually change the genre and keep it alive.

Why should we keep feeding these beasts? What assures us that the next series that belongs to them would be different? I mean, just think about it, we’ve let some good series and some good concepts on TV die even though they’re really good; why are we letting these things keep happening? Is it because people are afraid of change? Watching something new would hurt the audience’s brain, so they have to keep doing the same trash year after year?

I mean, just ask yourselves this question; when was the last time you saw a game changer on TV? Sure, there are still some good shows out there and once in a while you actually see one that is worth watching. However, for the most part these shows are nothing but complete garbage. This isn’t a list mentioning shows that are considered by many an abomination; sure, that plays a big role in it, but in the end they’re nothing but the result of something that shouldn’t be existing anymore. This is a list of 4 genres that are doing nothing but poisoning television, and I’m really sure that if we got rid of them, TV would be a much, much better place to find entertainment.

4. Sitcoms

Sitcoms have been on TV for more than 50 years now. Since I Love Lucy in the 50′s we’ve been flooded with thousands and thousands and thousands of series that are nothing more than a rehash of the rehash of the rehash. Nothing new has been added to the genre, and if you pay enough attention, you’ll see the pattern. With something like that, that just keeps repeating itself over and over again in an endless cycle of stupidity and neglect on the part of the TV companies, you might wonder “Then why do they keep making them?”

As I mentioned earlier in this article, people are afraid of change. When something new comes up they instantly reject it; since it’s nothing they’re used to they often believe it to be something of smaller quality than it really is. And once we found out how awesome that thing was, it’s too late, and said programs remain as a simple reminder of what happens when someone tries to do something that the world isn’t ready for yet. The irony comes from the fact that once that program is cancelled and there’s no opportunity to see it back on TV, suddenly it gains a big and loyal fanbase.

There is another reason why TV producers keep making this crap. It’s the cheapest way to produce content without spending too much money or putting effort into it. Just pay a couple of actors to overact with the excuse of being “whimsical” and “funny” and a couple of lazy screenwriters to write a script with as many jokes they can put in, no matter how little sense they make as long as common audiences find them funny. And if it doesn’t work, try reusing the same trends that were popular a couple of years ago. Don’t believe me? Just look at Sheldon for a moment and tell me he doesn’t reminds you of someone.

I’ll give you a clue. Nerdy character that began as a side character but somehow got insanely popular and now pretty much every episode is centered around his antics with the rest of the characters as side ones. Still doesn’t ring a bell? Let’s try a different approach: Who is the next character?

It is the exact same freaking character! Let’s analyse this for a moment: both characters started as side characters for the main plot but along the way they both became insanely popular, pretty much becoming the center of the show. Both characters have catchphrases that became their staple (Sheldon with “Bazzinga” and Urkel with “Did I do That?”) and most likely people will forget Sheldon the same way people have forgotten about Steve Urkel. Face the truth: Sheldon Cooper is this generation’s Steve Urkel. Whether you like it or not, they’re the same character, or at least the result of the laziness in screenwriting.

You can pretty much find the same routine over and over again in several sitcoms, either with characters like Sheldon, or the same repetitive sexual tension between the characters, how for the most part the characters insult each other and pretty much have no real reason to be actual friends. Sure, there are one, maybe two sitcoms worth watching, but for the most part they’re just the same garbage all over again. I believe it’s time for us to move on, and actually think on better ways to deliver comedy on TV rather than doing the same things over and over again.

Read more at http://whatculture.com/tv/4-tv-show-...xMV5kZkQL7f.99
Old 04-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
EmoJoe
Forum Legend
weee.

This is one of the most poorly written pieces of trash I have ever seen on the internet and I mean, that's saying a lot.

I hate The Big Bang Theory, but how the hell is Sheldon the same character as Urkel? They're both nerdy and have a catchphrase? Cool. Other than that, they are really nothing alike. And even if they were, you're going to use that as a reason to stop making an entire genre of television that has been working for 50+ years? Come on. The term sitcom means "situation comedy". There are endless types of sitcoms on the air today, from experimental single-cams to traditional multi-cams to even super out there spins on the genre like the 11-minute Adult Swim shows. Sure, some sitcoms are awful and rehashes of what worked in the past. Some dramas are the same way. And some movies. And some music. Should we eliminate all of those because of a few bad apples in the bunch? There's still plenty of great sitcoms that are fresh and innovative out there today and it's pretty obvious whoever wrote this article doesn't know **** about them and decided to write an article because he was flipping through the channels and caught a particularly irritating Big Bang Theory re-run.

A quick glance at the other genres present the fact that this "article" was little more than a guy saying "I DON'T LIKE SOME THINGS SO NO ONE ELSE SHOULD EITHER" and thinking that train of thought warranted an article. Such is the dangers of the internet.

www.sitcomsarestupid.blogspot.com
Old 04-22-2013, 01:52 AM   #3
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Superbowl Bound! Go Hawks!

Location: The Emerald City-The home of 2014 NFC Championship Seattle Seahawks!

Okay, so this person doesn't like teen dramas, sitcoms or reality shows... the article was a pain to go through but I can't help but wonder... what DOES this person like?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
waichingliu81
debbie allen

as soon as i saw sitcoms listed, i stopped reading the rest.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
george ho
Frequent Poster

This guy generalizes the genres and uses bad examples of genre. Probably he hasn't watched Cheers (oh wait, maybe it is repetitive and predictable) or Frasier (with a self-absorbed and unfunny titular character).

I added these parenthetical notes to reflect the author's view
Old 04-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
dlemond
Hey, I know you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waichingliu81
as soon as i saw sitcoms listed, i stopped reading the rest.

Same here.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
yankeesrj12

I'm tired of people complaining about reality shows. Sure, there are some trashy ones out there, but there are also some good ones (Shark Tank, for example).

How will they perform? Check out my predictions: http://goo.gl/kJhmAH
Old 04-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
installLSC
Frequent Poster

Saying the sitcom needs to go is as idiotic as saying the novel or the short story is outdated.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell

Oh No

I have one question...

WHO THE HELL MADE THIS LIST?!

I agree with the Teen Shows and Reality Shows, but Sitcoms and Adult Shows? The genres that SHOULD go in my opinion is...

Reality Shows
Teen Shows
Trash Talk Shows
Court Shows

And Bring Back...

Variety/Sketch Shows
Westerns
Mysteries
Family Shows

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 04-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
Regulus

Location: Nova Catacumba Exhibition Facility on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon. Avatar - A Blivet/Poiuyt/Widget

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland
I have one question...

WHO THE HELL MADE THIS LIST?!

I agree with the Teen Shows and Reality Shows, but Sitcoms and Adult Shows? The genres that SHOULD go in my opinion is...

Reality Shows
Teen Shows
Trash Talk Shows
Court Shows

And Bring Back...

Variety/Sketch Shows
Westerns
Mysteries
Family Shows

I SECOND you Mr. Cleveland
Old 04-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

horrible article, but it would be nice to see a little more variety and creativity in the new shows they are producing, and i don't think that everything necessarily has to fit into the pigeon-holes that they tend to put these shows in either.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
UMFaninMD
Forum Regular
I am Sherlocked

The reality genre, especially the dating, Real Housewives, talent competition and practically the entire TLC lineup needs to go away. However, the cost and the ratings is what's attractive to networks and you will always have a steady stream of people who want to be famous.

But to ask for sitcoms, teen shows and adult shows to bite the dust is unrealistic. You can't have nothing but police procedurals and generic dramas clogging up the airwaves. Sitcoms attract a variety of ages. Teen dramas get the young demos the networks crave and adult shows, especially the cable ones, are getting the awards and the praise.

The one non-reality genre I would like to see gone is limited concept shows. Deception and First Do No Harm didn't work, people are starting to get tired of Revenge and ABC has three limited concept pilots ready to go for fall. I just can't see a show that focuses on one central plot for one or more seasons doing that well, especially if the central plot isn't that great to begin with.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #13
Tubehead

Default gay people

i wish some of these new comdeys would disspar their to drity i watch one called the new normal it had two gay guying getting married and kissing each other .
Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
Mr. Drucker
Forum Regular

TV usually reflects what' going on in the popular culture.Right now,we're living in a much more permissive society than ever with these sorts of things.But I Do know what you mean.I watch programs from the '50's-'80's and wonder why they can't make shows without alot of today's socially sensitive issues when so many shows back then were highly funny and entertaining without them.As far as the gay thing,I'm hardly homophobic or even anything that would remotely resemble it.However,it seems like ever since Ellen came out of the closet,producers are erroneously laboring under the misconception that homosexual humor has to be involved in absolutely everything.Keeps people talking at the water cooler I guess...
Old 04-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Regulus

Location: Nova Catacumba Exhibition Facility on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon. Avatar - A Blivet/Poiuyt/Widget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Drucker
TV usually reflects what' going on in the popular culture.Right now,we're living in a much more permissive society than ever with these sorts of things.But I Do know what you mean.I watch programs from the '50's-'80's and wonder why they can't make shows without alot of today's socially sensitive issues when so many shows back then were highly funny and entertaining without them.As far as the gay thing,I'm hardly homophobic or even anything that would remotely resemble it.However,it seems like ever since Ellen came out of the closet,producers are erroneously laboring under the misconception that homosexual humor has to be involved in absolutely everything.Keeps people talking at the water cooler I guess...

The little "Sermons" the programmers weave into the programs is one of the reasons I don't watch TV anymore. I'm certain the networks are doing one H of a job driving their viewers away. Not to mention the insane amount of advertising that's thrown at you.