Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Joe M. Davis
Frequent Poster

Default "The Happy Days" Pilot

Not sure how many people know this (for all I know, I'm the only one that didn't know about this until recently), but there were actually two versions of the first episode of "Happy Days" shot.

No, I'm not referring to the "Love, American Style" pilot. There were two versions of the first official episode, "All the Way". I recently received a copy of this rarely seen pilot (titled "The Happy Days"). I haven't watched the entire pilot, but from what I've seen, the most notable difference from the syndicated version of the episode is that Joanie is played by a different actress.

Additionally, the "Rock Around the Clock" intro is much longer, and features clips that weren't used in later intros. The main cast isn't listed until the end credits (and Henry Winkler and Donny Most are both credited as part of the main cast).
Old 04-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Hit the Print Scrn button on the keyboard asnd put some still up for us to see PLEASE!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Joe M. Davis
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman67
Hit the Print Scrn button on the keyboard asnd put some still up for us to see PLEASE!
Indeed I will. I'm in the process of watching the entire episode, and comparing it to the syndicated version for the possibility of alternate/deleted scenes. Until then, I'll leave you with the original pilot title (sorry, the quality of this print isn't so hot).

Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
Joe M. Davis
Frequent Poster

Okay, I got through the episode. Most of the episode is actually shot-for-shot identical to the syndicated version, with a few alternate/extended takes here and there. The main 'new' segment is the dinner table scene, as a different actress played Joanie (the scene was evidently reshot with Erin Moran for the syndicated version).

Here are the images I took from it. Be sure to work your way backwards if you want to see them chronologically.
http://s1150.photobucket.com/user/mo...?sort=3&page=3

As I mentioned, the "Rock Around the Clock" intro is a tad longer (with the added line "When it's eight, nine, ten, eleven too/I'll be goin' strong and so will you". All of the clips from the season one intro (plus the "running around the car" bit later used in the season two intro) are included, and a few new ones.

There's a bit showing Richie and a girl dancing at Arnold's (or "Arthur's); Ralph Malph dances with another girl in the background. A friend of Richie's girl shows up to take her away, leaving behind a confused Richie.

We then see a closeup of a jacket reading "Magnets We Attract". We zoom out to reveal two girls wearing jackets with this saying on the back of it. Potsie, Richie, and Ralph approach the girls to chat with them.

The bit with Richie and Potise laughing at Ralph Malph's failed car-kiss doesn't freeze to reveal credits; rather it continues playing for about a second.

The 'record spin' effect used in the intro then leads us to an establishing shot of "Arthur's". "Rock Around the Clock" continues into this scene, rather than "Splish Splash".

As there are no 'fade-to-black' parts in the pilot, the beginnings of some scenes are a few seconds longer. The first case is with the shot of the white car arriving at "Arthur's".

After Richie asks Fonzie where Potise is, there's an extended bit with Fonzie drinking a soda.

Otherwise, the first scene at "Arthur's" continues normally. When Richie and Potise return inside of "Arthur's", their entrance is a tad longer. Potsie walks in, followed by Richie. Potsie says to Richie, "She (Mary Lou)'s not here yet". As they exit the shot, the camera pans over to a group of girls sitting at a table. Two of the girls speak.

Girl 1: Dolly Foreman’s off the cheerleaders’. She hurt herself doing a split.
Girl 2: I heard. She yelled “gimme a J” and broke her pelvic.

During the scene with Mary Lou, after Richie says, "I sit right behind you in English", he awkwardly continues with "that is, you sit in front of me. Which is, uh, the same thing, I guess, huh?". After this, there's some reacting from Richie, followed by a closeup of Potsie coaxing Richie to continue conversing with her. A closeup of Richie nervously reacting to a line (I forgot which one) is also shown.

The scene at the dinner table is mostly done in one long take. Howard seems a bit more cheerful when giving his sarcastic remarks here than in the syndicated version.

A personal thought: I'm not a fan of this Joanie's delivery. Very flat, IMO. Though the others also give somewhat flat deliveries in this version of the scene.

In the syndicated version, Howard responds to Joanie's remark about Chuck thinking he knows everything by saying, "Well, why shouldn't he be doing better? He's taking the same courses this semester".

Here, he says, "Well, he should be doing better. He's taking the same courses this semester".

After Chuck leaves for basketball practice, Howard remarks, "if he could think like he dribbles, we'd have Einstein under our roof".

In the syndicated version, Marion offers Howard some coffee, followed by Howard stating that he is going out to get fresh air. In the original version, Howard automatically excuses himself from the table, with no offer of coffee from Marion.

The nighttime sequence in which Potise helps Richie get ready in the restroom is slightly different. The shot of Potsie entering "Arthur's" is a tad longer; therefore, the music in the background is a tad longer.

The conversation about the bra is a tad longer, and is mostly done in one take. After Potsie suggests Richie does some "practice" with the bra...

Richie: Potsie, I don’t understand you sometimes! I don’t want to practice! I like to just let it happen, you know what I mean?
Potsie: “Just happen”? Rich, it’s not a magic bra." He then goes into the "open sesame" line.

After Fonzie leaves the bathroom, the scene fades to an establishing shot of the Kellys' living room. We see Mary Lou head for the door. At the door, we get a closeup of Richie saying, "Ship ahoy!". This is followed by a closeup of Mary Lou saying, "Shh... I just got the baby asleep". Richie apologizes.

The rest of the scene plays normally; however there is some cheesy romantic music playing in the background throughout the scene.

After Fonzie leaves with Mary Lou, there's an extra shot of Richie watching them leave, followed by Potsie calling for Richie. This then leads into the last scene with Richie and Potsie. After Richie asks Potsie if he can ask him something (boy, it feels awkward using "ask" twice in one sentence)...

Potsie: Go ahead. I know everything.
Richie: Okay, if you know so much, tell me...

This then leads into the conversation about falling in love "with a girl with a reputation".

The credits in the last shot appear at the bottom of the screen, rather than in the middle of it. During the end credits, Ron (billed as "Ronnie Howard"), Anson, Tom, Marion, Henry, and Donny are credited with their respective character names below them.

There's a different version of the final dinner sequence, followed by a shot of "Arthur's" at night. The latter shot has the production info. placed on it. The creepy 1970's Paramount ident follows.

Last edited by Joe M. Davis : 04-17-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
thebigcookie

Does the ending credits still have the familiar Happy Days theme? And if you get the chance, can you post the episode on YouTube or some site so I can see it too?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Joe M. Davis
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigcookie
Does the ending credits still have the familiar Happy Days theme? And if you get the chance, can you post the episode on YouTube or some site so I can see it too?
Yes, it does have the theme.

I would post it to YouTube if I knew how to (yes, I'm a total n00b when it comes to DVD-to-YouTube posting). Any help would be great!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #7
anglemark10
Forum Regular

I have to admit I'm kind of shocked I've never heard of this version of the pilot before. Who is the actress that plays Joanie?
Old 04-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #8
Joe M. Davis
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglemark10
I have to admit I'm kind of shocked I've never heard of this version of the pilot before. Who is the actress that plays Joanie?
Unfortunately, nobody in the supporting cast is credited. Unless a cast or crew member knows who she, Joanie #2 is a mystery.

I was shocked about it myself. I bought a complete set of HD from someone on ioffer for a nice price. There wasn't any further detail on it, other then the fact that it was the "complete series". I was really surprised to find this included on the set, along with a few other odds and ends (the two reunion shows, a Biography documentary, all of the "Joanie Loves Chachi" episodes).
Old 04-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
DeepBlue
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M. Davis
Unfortunately, nobody in the supporting cast is credited. Unless a cast or crew member knows who she, Joanie #2 is a mystery.

I think Joanie #2 (shouldn't she be #1?) is the same actress that played that role in the Love, American Style skit, or at least that's what I've heard. According to IMDb her name is Susan Neher.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
Joe M. Davis
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBlue
I think Joanie #2 (shouldn't she be #1?) is the same actress that played that role in the Love, American Style skit, or at least that's what I've heard. According to IMDb her name is Susan Neher.
Susan Neher (from "Love, American Style") was a redhead. Joanie # 2 is a blonde.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
DeepBlue
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M. Davis
Susan Neher (from "Love, American Style") was a redhead. Joanie # 2 is a blonde.

Sorry, thanks for clearing that up (it's hard to distinguish in the pic you posted), I had read before that it was the same actress but I guess she isn't.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
mets82

By all means if you could post the episode, I'd like to see it.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
By all means if you could post the episode, I'd like to see it.

Put it on youtube, although I'm sure (c) reasons it would not last more than a week but at least some of us could watch it before it gets pulled.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
Joe M. Davis
Frequent Poster

As I've said, I'd jump at posting it on Youtube if I knew how to. I'm not at all familiar with that works. But if anyone can help, I will try to post it.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
thebigcookie

First, search for a free DVD ripper and rip the episode in either MP4 or AVI to your computer, then upload the file to youtube if you know how to from there.