Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Diff'rent Strokes Online / Diff'rent Strokes links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Dana Plato Yahoo Group / Diff'rent Strokes Photo Gallery

Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete First Season

Buy Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete First Season on DVD
Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Second Season

Buy Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Third Season

Buy Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Diff'rent Strokes
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Disney to Acquire Much of Fox; Roseanne Debut Date Set for ABC
Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-25-2013, 12:06 AM   #16
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabgirl
Never gave that much thought, but its true Sam definitely would've been taller...lol. But I honestly believe when NBC cancelled Diff'rent Strokes is because the show was losing its flair as the kids had gotten older. That was the whole purpose for bringing in the Sam character. Gary was no longer the precocious little one, so they began to morph Sam into the new "Arnold" with him becoming the center of a lot of the stories. Then of course, the switch to ABC, and the changing of Maggie didn't make it any better. I know that's when the show started to fall off for me.

They were damm near the same height in season 8 lol
Old 07-29-2014, 04:34 AM   #17
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Season 8 was terrible worst season by far

The last year was awful!

The final season - WTF?
Old 07-31-2014, 05:39 PM   #18
Mace Dolex

The height factor of Sam plus many other reasons were why the show got canned, tiresome sitcom, cast members absent for most of the season.

I wonder if the show went on yet a couple of more years they would have eventually written in Kimberly getting pregnant as an excuse to bring in yet another cute kid.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #19
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

two more seasons sam would be have been taller lol
Old 08-01-2014, 04:51 AM   #20
TMC
Forum Celebrity

I'm sure that this has been asked before, but why did ABC feel the need to pick up DS for what turned out to be its final season in 1985-86? Where they in desperate need for hits at the time! Incidentally, they already had their own Diff'rent Strokes in Webster (which I think was paired w/ DS on Friday nights that year).

I think most people seem to agree that DS had pretty much run its course. I'm guessing that's the main reason why NBC canceled it after the seventh season. Plus, Gary Coleman (and Todd Bridges for that matter) was getting older and was apparently getting sick of doing the show, Dana Plato was gone (because of her pregnancy), the show had pretty much officially jumped the shark w/ the introduction of Sam. I've said elsewhere that DS probably should've ended when Philip married Maggie, instead of slugging along for two and a half more years.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:40 AM   #21
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
I'm sure that this has been asked before, but why did ABC feel the need to pick up DS for what turned out to be its final season in 1985-86? Where they in desperate need for hits at the time! Incidentally, they already had their own Diff'rent Strokes in Webster (which I think was paired w/ DS on Friday nights that year).

I think most people seem to agree that DS had pretty much run its course. I'm guessing that's the main reason why NBC canceled it after the seventh season. Plus, Gary Coleman (and Todd Bridges for that matter) was getting older and was apparently getting sick of doing the show, Dana Plato was gone (because of her pregnancy), the show had pretty much officially jumped the shark w/ the introduction of Sam. I've said elsewhere that DS probably should've ended when Philip married Maggie, instead of slugging along for two and a half more years.
ABC had sunk to last place by then so yea they were desperate.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #22
king of comedy

I saw it up to season 4 so I didn't miss anything.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #23
Mace Dolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Actually my memory could be hazy but I think it was paired with Mr. Belvedere and then for the '86-'87 season Mr. Belvedere took it's place to be followed by Webster.

Man I remember Friday nights so vividly because while ABC was floundering with their shows over at NBC they had V-The Series in '84 and Misfits Of Science in '85.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #24
king of comedy

I saw V not Misfits of Science.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #25
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex
Actually my memory could be hazy but I think it was paired with Mr. Belvedere and then for the '86-'87 season Mr. Belvedere took it's place to be followed by Webster.

Man I remember Friday nights so vividly because while ABC was floundering with their shows over at NBC they had V-The Series in '84 and Misfits Of Science in '85.
Friday nights was Dallas for me so I saw very few episodes of that year's DS. After I saw them in syndication, I saw that I wasn't missing much. lol
Old 03-07-2015, 04:35 AM   #26
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabgirl
Never gave that much thought, but its true Sam definitely would've been taller...lol. But I honestly believe when NBC cancelled Diff'rent Strokes is because the show was losing its flair as the kids had gotten older. That was the whole purpose for bringing in the Sam character. Gary was no longer the precocious little one, so they began to morph Sam into the new "Arnold" with him becoming the center of a lot of the stories. Then of course, the switch to ABC, and the changing of Maggie didn't make it any better. I know that's when the show started to fall off for me.

I wonder if The Cosby Show also had a hand in NBC getting rid of DS. What I mean is that The Cosby Show was considered groundbreaking for its time because it featured an upper-middle class, affluent African American family w/ both parents being successful professionals. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the whole premise of DS (i.e. a rich white man "rescuing" two orphaned, underprivileged African American kids) didn't quite resonate anymore. What didn't help is that TCS is often credited for "saving" the sitcom format, which DS arguably helped get to the point in which it needed "saving" in the first place.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:41 AM   #27
rusty spike
Frequent Poster

Yes, the Cosby Show was bringing greater sophistication to TV. This show had run its course. I watched it when it was on NBC, but didn't discover it again on ABC until it was nearly over. Arnold had become a jerk and Sam was plain obnoxious.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:40 PM   #28
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

They should have ended the show before Sam even came on. That kid was obnoxious.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Old 04-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #29
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Regarding Willis and the Jheri Curl, he rocked it well. It looked good on him and plus, it was the 1980's. Many had Jheri Curls..
Old 04-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #30
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE
Regarding Willis and the Jheri Curl, he rocked it well. It looked good on him and plus, it was the 1980's. Many had Jheri Curls..

I think he may have been the only black adult male character on a sitcom with a jheri curl at that time