Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery


Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password


Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 21, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Looking Back at the Upfronts; Fresh Off the Boat and Last Man Standing DVDs Arriving on Tuesday
Fri-Yay: How Did Sitcoms Fare at the Upfronts?
The CW Upfront 2018-19: Fall 2018 Schedule; Freeform 2018 Upfront
CBS Upfront 2018-19: Fall 2018 Schedule; The Detour Back for Season 4 on TBS
ABC Upfront 2018-19: Fall 2018 Schedule; MeTV Acquires The Jeffersons and Charlie's Angels
Fox Upfront 2018-19: Fall 2018 Schedule; Raven's Home Returns June 25 on Disney
NBC Upfront 2018-19: Fall 2018 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 14, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC to Air Brooklyn Nine-Nine Next Season as Fox Appears to Move in New Direction; New Perfect Strangers DVDs Coming Soon
Fri-Yay: Fox's Comedy Bloodbath: What Does It Mean?; Fox Orders Second Multi-Camera Sitcom


New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April/May)

Atlanta - The Complete First Season Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Ninth Season One Day at a Time - Season Two Perfect Strangers  - The Complete Third Season Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Final (Eighth) Season

03/06 - Atlanta - The Complete First Season
03/06 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Ninth Season
03/13 - The New Adventures of Old Christine - The Complete First Season
03/27 - One Day at a Time - Season Two
04/03 - Ballers - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/03 - 90's Sitcom (Just Shoot Me!/The Larry Sanders Show/Wings) Starter Set - Season 1 & 2 Bundle
04/10 - Vice Principals - The Compelte Series
04/17 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Third Season
05/08 - Dear White People - Season 1
05/08 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Final (Eighth) Season
05/29 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 1
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
Roger Sterling
Occasional Poster
Watch out Radioactive Man!
 
Roger Sterling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2013
Location: WILLOUGHBY next stop WILLOUGHBY
Posts: 12
Default In "Welcome Home " did anyone else notice

that Fonzie seemed happier to see Richie than Richie did to see him? I was watching that episode on Hallmark channel a few days ago and couldn't help but notice than when Richie and Ralph came back from the army Fonzie was really excited to see Richie. Richie didn't seem all that excited to seem him though, I mean Fonze walked up to him and gave him a big hug and really looked happy to see him while Richie just seemed to have a meh "oh hi Fonze" attitude to seeing him for the first time in 3 years. I may be thinking too much about this but to me it came off as while in the army Richie somehow outgrew Fonzie and maybe became closer to Ralph who I assume became his new best friend. Especially in the end when they say goodbye to each other and Fonze gets choked up telling Richie he loves him.

Anyone else notice this and think maybe at that point in time the Fonze liked Richie more than Richie liked him?
__________________
"If anyone has a long face at my funeral, I'll never speak to them again."
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #2
70s show watcher
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: May 20, 2008
Location: between point place and studio 8 h
Posts: 4,193
Default

no i did not notice that i thought richie seemed very happy to see fonzie
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz
 
antman67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 17, 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Sterling
that Fonzie seemed happier to see Richie than Richie did to see him? I was watching that episode on Hallmark channel a few days ago and couldn't help but notice than when Richie and Ralph came back from the army Fonzie was really excited to see Richie. Richie didn't seem all that excited to seem him though, I mean Fonze walked up to him and gave him a big hug and really looked happy to see him while Richie just seemed to have a meh "oh hi Fonze" attitude to seeing him for the first time in 3 years. I may be thinking too much about this but to me it came off as while in the army Richie somehow outgrew Fonzie and maybe became closer to Ralph who I assume became his new best friend. Especially in the end when they say goodbye to each other and Fonze gets choked up telling Richie he loves him.

Anyone else notice this and think maybe at that point in time the Fonze liked Richie more than Richie liked him?

You know your right. Fonz did seem happier. Not that Richie was NOT happy to see Fonz or to be back home, but Richie probably felt like he matured. I guess it true what they say, you can't go home again. Weird thing about when you go back, to say your old high school or high school reunion is that sometimes it's exactly the same way you remembered it and your left feeling a little bummed. Or even if you go back to your home town and everything has changed, that leaves you bummed too. So there is no right answer really?
__________________
http://thefonz.webs.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Roger Sterling
Occasional Poster
Watch out Radioactive Man!
 
Roger Sterling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2013
Location: WILLOUGHBY next stop WILLOUGHBY
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman67
You know your right. Fonz did seem happier. Not that Richie was NOT happy to see Fonz or to be back home, but Richie probably felt like he matured. I guess it true what they say, you can't go home again. Weird thing about when you go back, to say your old high school or high school reunion is that sometimes it's exactly the same way you remembered it and your left feeling a little bummed. Or even if you go back to your home town and everything has changed, that leaves you bummed too. So there is no right answer really?

Good points I agree, I guess it wasn't that Richie was unhappy to see Fonzie he did seem glad to see him but Fonzie was just more excited to see him.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Polka Dot Ron
Occasional Poster
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 14, 2008
Posts: 6
Default

Interesting! My impression is that Ron Howard was sort of rusty with regard to being "Richie" at this point, and it came through in his performance ...

I do remember sort of thinking this, too - it certainly wasn't the same old "Richie"!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
70s show watcher
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: May 20, 2008
Location: between point place and studio 8 h
Posts: 4,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polka Dot Ron
Interesting! My impression is that Ron Howard was sort of rusty with regard to being "Richie" at this point, and it came through in his performance ...

I do remember sort of thinking this, too - it certainly wasn't the same old "Richie"!
i know he was in a rotten mood for most of the ep and i have read elsewhere online that other fans found his moodiness somewhat disturbing me i can sort of understand why he seemed so restless but one thing i dont understand is why he thought that lori beth would not be supportive of his dream ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz
 
antman67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 17, 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70s show watcher
i know he was in a rotten mood for most of the ep and i have read elsewhere online that other fans found his moodiness somewhat disturbing me i can sort of understand why he seemed so restless but one thing i dont understand is why he thought that lori beth would not be supportive of his dream ?

I didn't like seeing Richie pissed off nearly 100% of the time eaither. Really unsettling and one could almost assume or connect the dots that Ron Howard might have felt a little aggravated to have to be playing the role of same old "Richie" again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
70s show watcher
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: May 20, 2008
Location: between point place and studio 8 h
Posts: 4,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman67
I didn't like seeing Richie pissed off nearly 100% of the time eaither. Really unsettling and one could almost assume or connect the dots that Ron Howard might have felt a little aggravated to have to be playing the role of same old "Richie" again.
you might be right about that
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
bingbangbaby
Senior Member
I see you!!
 
bingbangbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 15, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman67
I didn't like seeing Richie pissed off nearly 100% of the time eaither. Really unsettling and one could almost assume or connect the dots that Ron Howard might have felt a little aggravated to have to be playing the role of same old "Richie" again.
Maybe, but no one forced him to come back though... I think if he didn't want to do the part on some level then he just wouldn't have done the part. It's not like he needed to do it. Plus, he wasn't returning for good, just for a few episodes in the last season. It seemed like the episodes were written specifically for his return, and if Ron Howard didn't want to return even for just that one storyline, then they simply would not have done the storyline.

I did notice that Fonzie seemed happier to see him than he was to see Fonz, but Richie really didn't seem all that happy to see anyone or even really to be there at all. I assumed that it was all connected to the fact that he wanted to be in California, not Milwaukee (storyline again!). After all, at that point they were not there for a visit, they had come home, and that is not where he wanted to be. He obviously had spent most of the 3 years in the army thinking about that dream and also had obviously not talked seriously to Lori Beth or anyone other than Ralph about it, and, while he of course wanted to see his family and friends, he wanted it to be just a stop on their way to their new life after the army. But I think he just felt now that they were there, they would end up staying there. But once he got that all out of his system and realized that he could try to pursue his dream and have everyone's support (at the very end), then he was much more like the old Richie. Just my opinion though.
__________________
"I don't even know how to begin with him! Would you like steak or salmon at my wedding? And by the way, I think I might be in love with you--" --Daphne Moon
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
The Flying Dutchmans
Senior Member
Member
 
The Flying Dutchmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 1,013
Default

Ron had become a serious movie director and I don't think he was happy returning to Happy Days. He said in an interview, that although he loved his work on Happy days, that he needed to move on to bigger things, and work toward his dream, which was working in motion pictures. Look at him now. He even has a daughter who is a wonderful movie actress. Not many child TV Stars come out of a TV series and make it as a big movie director. As we know, most of them end up in trouble or screwed up in some way. I think Ron did great, and if he was reluctant to come back to Happy Days, even for 2 episodes, it was probably because he wanted to move forward, not backward.
__________________
A strange red light as of a phantom ship all aglow, in the midst of which light the mast, spars and sails of a brig 200 yards distant stood out in strong relief."
The Flying Dutchman
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
dave insinga
Forum Regular
Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2005
Posts: 585
Default it was the whole moving to california thing.

keep in mind richie had a hard time telling his parents that he wanted to move his family to california.he knew the family and fonzie wanted him to stay.so it wasn't that he wasn't happy to see them just torn on how to tell them all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
Waterston_Fan
Senior Member
Member
 
Waterston_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,168
Default

Now that you mention it, yeah Fonzie was excited to see Richie but Richie kinda wasn't.

It could be just he was grown up and wanted to go to California but felt obligated to come home. I could understand his irritation towards the family since he wanted to do something and suddenly his father/mother tell him no.

I think it's like when you leave home, everything is the same but you feel you need to make your own decisions and not let anyone else do it for you.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.