Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Gilligan's Island (Sitcoms Online) / Gilligan's Island links and theme songs at Sicoms Online / Gilligan's Island Photo Gallery


Gilligan's Island - The Complete First Season

Buy Gilligan's Island - The Complete First Season on DVD
Gilligan's Island - The Complete Second Season

Buy Gilligan's Island - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Gilligan's Island - The Complete Third Season

Buy Gilligan's Island - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Gilligan's Island - The Complete Series

Buy Gilligan's Island - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Gilligan's Island
User Name
Password


Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

The CW Summer 2014 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 21, 2014)
Episodic Review: Community - "Basic Sandwich" Airing Tonight on NBC; FX Orders 3rd Season of The Americans, Solid Start for Fargo
Moesha Returns Daily to BET; NBC Schedules Maya Rudolph Variety-Comedy Special
TV Land Picks Up Hilary Duff, Sutton Foster Sitcom; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Big News" Airing Tonight on Fox
Maude Mother's Day Marathon on Logo; WE tv 2014 Upfront
Week 29 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Simpsons Comes to FXX in Style; New Fox MOD Releases; Welcome Back, Kotter on DVD?

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #1
Smilings
Forum Regular
Member
 
Smilings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 09, 2012
Location: California
Posts: 349
Default Trivia. What else happened on November 22, 1963?

It was also the last day of the Gilligan's Island pilot.

This is according to page 4 of Joey Green's Unofficial Gilligan's Handbook, which I'm re-reading.

Last edited by Smilings : 03-16-2013 at 02:37 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
gilligan fanatic
Senior Member
Born to Be Bad
 
gilligan fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 06, 2001
Location: down by the Lagoon
Posts: 9,787
Default

I looked on page 4 and didn't see anything about it?
__________________
Matt


Filmaf ~ Twitter ~ Last.FM
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Smilings
Forum Regular
Member
 
Smilings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 09, 2012
Location: California
Posts: 349
Default it's page 4 middle of page 4th paragraph

"The costly $175,000 pilot took six days to film in a remote section of Kauai, Hawaii, and was finished on the day Kennedy was assassinated."

My Joey Green book is paperback 1988.


Of course, by finished, did that mean last day of shooting or last day of post-production?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
gilligan fanatic
Senior Member
Born to Be Bad
 
gilligan fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 06, 2001
Location: down by the Lagoon
Posts: 9,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilings
"The costly $175,000 pilot took six days to film in a remote section of Kauai, Hawaii, and was finished on the day Kennedy was assassinated."

My Joey Green book is paperback 1988.


Of course, by finished, did that mean last day of shooting or last day of post-production?

Ahh, yeah, I knew that about Kennedy, I was thinking it was something else you were talking about.

I would consider it last day of filming.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Smilings
Forum Regular
Member
 
Smilings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 09, 2012
Location: California
Posts: 349
Default Dallas is 5 hours ahead of Hawaii

President Kennedy was killed on a Friday at 12:30 pm.

Hawaii time, that was 7:30 am.

The Gilligan crew may have been in a remote location.

I wonder when they heard about JFK?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
gilligan fanatic
Senior Member
Born to Be Bad
 
gilligan fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 06, 2001
Location: down by the Lagoon
Posts: 9,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilings
President Kennedy was killed on a Friday at 12:30 pm.

Hawaii time, that was 7:30 am.

The Gilligan crew may have been in a remote location.

I wonder when they heard about JFK?

I remember there was a scene in Surviving Gilligan's Island about it, but I honestly don't remember.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
Smilings
Forum Regular
Member
 
Smilings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 09, 2012
Location: California
Posts: 349
Default JFK story is on Surviving Gilligan's Island at 18 minute mark

Gilligan Fanatic, you are right again.

At the 18 minute mark, Bob Denver talks about how they heard about JFK on radio. (A white transistor radio like the one Gilligan hooked with a fish line and cast into the ocean in "Birds Gotta Fly, Fish Gotta Talk")

The JFK news put a damper on the flight home.


The 2001 TV movie Surviving Gilligan's Island was fun to rewatch.

It has many behind-the-scene stories that the cast members put in their books.

Like Alan Hale riding a horse off movie set, thumbing and flying across 4 states to get to audition.

It has young actors playing the original actors. Here are two Mary Anns.
Samantha Harris and Dawn Wells.
Attached Images
 
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
gilligan fanatic
Senior Member
Born to Be Bad
 
gilligan fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 06, 2001
Location: down by the Lagoon
Posts: 9,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilings
Gilligan Fanatic, you are right again.

At the 18 minute mark, Bob Denver talks about how they heard about JFK on radio. (A white transistor radio like the one Gilligan hooked with a fish line and cast into the ocean in "Birds Gotta Fly, Fish Gotta Talk")

The JFK news put a damper on the flight home.


The 2001 TV movie Surviving Gilligan's Island was fun to rewatch.

It has many behind-the-scene stories that the cast members put in their books.

Like Alan Hale riding a horse off movie set, thumbing and flying across 4 states to get to audition.

It has young actors playing the original actors. Here are two Mary Anns.
Samantha Harris and Dawn Wells.

Surviving was so nice, It was definetly not a let down. Hard to believe it aired almost 12 years ago!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Smilings
Forum Regular
Member
 
Smilings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 09, 2012
Location: California
Posts: 349
Default Surviving Gilligan's Island great

I rewatched it all.

I liked Bob Denver sticking up for Dawn Wells twice. Once getting her full credit in the theme song as "Mary Ann" rather part of "the rest."

Also Bob Denver insisting she be included in a photo shoot for TV Guide when the photographer only wanted Gilligan and Ginger.
TV Guide tricked them by including her in the photo shoot and then cutting Mary Ann out of the published photo.


It has some sad parts. Jim Backus struggling with Parkinson's disease.

Also sad was Dawn Wells scattering Alan Hale's ashes off Catalina and having to deal with uninvited news choppers .


I liked the irony of Bob Denver's original co-star Dwayne Hickman playing a CBS exec. One of a pair who just don't get it.

In real life, Dwayne Hickman did become a CBS exec.

In fact, I was lucky enough to be a staff writer on the last season of Good Times. And Dwayne Hickman was the CBS exec.
And you couldn't ask for a nicer guy.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Smilings : 03-15-2013 at 05:58 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
gilligan fanatic
Senior Member
Born to Be Bad
 
gilligan fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 06, 2001
Location: down by the Lagoon
Posts: 9,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilings
I rewatched it all.

I liked Bob Denver sticking up for Dawn Wells twice. Once getting her full credit in the theme song as "Mary Ann" rather part of "the rest."

Also Bob Denver insisting she be included in a photo shoot for TV Guide when the photographer only wanted Gilligan and Ginger.
TV Guide tricked them by including her in the photo shoot and then cutting Mary Ann out of the published photo.


It has some sad parts. Jim Backus struggling with Parkinson's disease.

Also sad was Dawn Wells scattering Alan Hale's ashes off Catalina and having to deal with uninvited news choppers .


I liked the irony of Bob Denver's original co-star Dwayne Hickman playing a CBS exec. One of a pair who just don't get it.

In real life, Dwayne Hickman did become a CBS exec.

In fact, I was lucky enough to be a staff writer on the last season of Good Times. And Dwayne Hickman was the CBS exec.
And you couldn't ask for a nicer guy.

I might have to pull it out and re watch it, I haven't seen in for a couple of years.

I am so glad Dobie Gillis is coming to DVD this year. I have only seen a handful of episodes. I finally got MeTV, but I would rather watch the show from the start so I think i'll wait for the DVD to come out.

I have that TV Guide with Bob and Tina, and Dawns hair is right there, if it wasn't for the special I would think there was a spot on it or something.

I didn't know you were on the Good Times staff, you should go to the Good Times board some, they would probbably love to have an insider from the show, it is a popular board.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
Smilings
Forum Regular
Member
 
Smilings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 09, 2012
Location: California
Posts: 349
Default

Another good thing about Surviving Gilligan Island's. As exec producer, Dawn Wells ran the show. And despite past tensions, she treated Tina Louise fairly.


Dobie Gillis is cool. It had quality that was just funny not overly sentimental like many sitcoms especially back then.

The Dobie Gillis creator Max Shulman has his unique voice similar to Rod Sterling except funny.


Maybe I will go on Good Times board. I actually co-wrote the very last episode.

Thanks.

Last edited by Smilings : 03-16-2013 at 12:54 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
McGillicuddy
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 28, 2002
Posts: 4,896
Default

The opening credits for GI were filmed shortly after the assassination of JFK. You can see a flag at half-mast in the background, as the boat is leaving the marina.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
Steve_uk
Forum Regular
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy
The opening credits for GI were filmed shortly after the assassination of JFK. You can see a flag at half-mast in the background, as the boat is leaving the marina.
The title of this thread is in thoroughly bad taste and I suggest it is modified forthwith. How anyone can make a pun out of a heinous crime caught on camera which affected much of the Western world is beyond me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
Smilings
Forum Regular
Member
 
Smilings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 09, 2012
Location: California
Posts: 349
Default

You're right. I apologize.
Sorry for any offense.
The tragic irony is a part of history.
But there is no need to add to it with a stupid pun.
So it's been changed.
Please find it in your heart to forgive.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:58 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.