Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Penny Lane
Forum Celebrity

Default "One Day At A Time" star Bonnie Franklin dies at 69

RIP Bonnie

https://www.google.com/search?q=bonn...ient=firefox-a
Old 03-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
AB
Forum Celebrity
The Orville

Very sad to hear this news. May she rest in peace.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Family Ties Forever!

RIP

[url=http://www.click2houston.com/news/Bonnie-Franklin-One-Day-At-a-Time-star-dies/-/1735978/19141096/-/tvuabb/-/index.html[/url]

Bonnie Franklin, 'One Day At a Time' star, dies
Posted: Mar 1, 2013 12:50 PM CST

New York - Bonnie Franklin, the pert, redheaded actress whom millions came to identify with for her role as divorced mom Ann Romano on the long-running sitcom "One Day at a Time," has died. She died Friday at her home in Los Angeles due to complications from pancreatic cancer, family members said. She was 69. Her family had announced she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in September.

Franklin was a veteran stage and television performer before "One Day At a Time" made her a star. Developed by Norman Lear and co-created by Whitney Blake -- herself a former sitcom star and single mother raising future actress Meredith Baxter -- the series was groundbreaking for its focus on a young divorced mother seeking independence from a suffocating marriage. It premiered on CBS in December 1975, just five years after the network had balked at having Mary Tyler Moore play a divorced woman on her own comedy series, insisting that newly single Mary Richards be portrayed as having ended her engagement instead.

On her own in Indianapolis, Ann Romano was raising two teenage girls -- played by Mackenzie Phillips, already famous for the film "American Graffiti," and a previously unknown Valerie Bertinelli. "One Day At a Time" ran on CBS until 1984, by which time both daughters had grown and married, while Romano had remarried and become a grandmother. During the first seven of its nine seasons on the air, the show was a Top 20 hit.

Like other Lear productions such as "All in the Family" and "Good Times," "One Day at a Time" dealt with contemporary issues once absent from TV comedies such as premarital sex, birth control, suicide and sexual harassment -- issues that had previously been overlooked by TV comedies whose households were usually headed by a husband and wife or, rarely, a widowed parent. Meanwhile, the series weathered its own crises as Phillips was twice written out of the series to deal with her drug abuse and other personal problems.

Writing in her 2009 memoir "High On Arrival," Phillips remembered Franklin as hardworking and professional, even a perfectionist. "Bonnie felt a responsibility to the character and always gave a million notes on the scripts," Phillips wrote. "Above all, she didn't want it to be sitcom fluff -- she wanted it to deal honestly with the struggles and truths of raising two teenagers as a single mother."

In her 2008 memoir "Losing It," Bertinelli noted that Franklin, just 31 when the show began, wasn't old enough to be her real mother. Even so, wrote Bertinelli, "within a few days I recognized her immense talent and felt privileged to work with her. ... She was like a hip, younger complement to my real mom." The truth of "One Day at a Time" was brought home to Franklin when in 2005 she got together with both TV daughters for a "One Day at a Time" reunion special. She told both actresses, "You are living, in a sense, Ann Romano's life -- you are single parents raising teenage kids. That is shocking and terrifying to me."

Franklin herself was married for 29 years. Her husband, TV producer Marvin Minoff, died in 2009. Born Bonnie Gail Franklin in Santa Monica, Calif., she entered show business at an early age. She was a child tap dancer and actress, and a protege of Donald O'Connor, with whom she performed in the 1950s on NBC's "Colgate Comedy Hour." A decade later, she was appearing on such episodic programs as "Mr. Novak," "Gidget" and "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."

On stage, Franklin was in the original Broadway production of "Applause," for which she received a 1970 Tony Award nomination, and other plays including "Dames at Sea" and "A Thousand Clowns." Franklin's recent credits include appearances on "The Young and the Restless" and the TV Land comedy "Hot in Cleveland," which again reunited her with Bertinelli, one of that show's regulars.

Franklin was a "devoted mother, grandmother, daughter, sister, aunt and friend," her family said in a statement. She also was a devoted and longtime activist for a range of charities and civic-oriented issues, among them AIDS care and research and the Stroke Association of Southern California. In 2001, she and her sister Judy Bush founded the nonprofit Classic and Contemporary American Plays, an organization that introduces "great American plays" into inner-city schools' curriculum. A private memorial will be held next week, her family said.

Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

So very sad to hear of Bonnie's passing...
Old 03-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!

I'm sad to hear this too. I saw One Day At A Time when it originally aired and I'll always remember Bonnie fondly. I'm so happy I have S#2 where anomie guested in an ep. May she rest in peace.

xxoo You both Rock!!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
angiefan
Forum Regular
happy labor day!

Send a message via Yahoo to angiefan
Default one day at a time star bonnie frankiln dies at 69.

it was on facebook. why do i have one day at a time theme song in my head?
Old 03-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

I watched a bit of the show when it was originally on the air. I had no idea she was only 31 when the show premiered.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

Unhappy

Such a shame. I consider 69 on the younger side in terms of dying. That pancreatic cancer is terrible. It's swift and few survive. My husband's best friend of 40 years died from it four years ago. It also claimed Patrick Swayze.

Rest in Peace, Bonnie Franklin. You were one cool lady.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
Lee
veteran member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
Such a shame. I consider 69 on the younger side in terms of dying. That pancreatic cancer is terrible. It's swift and few survive. My husband's best friend of 40 years died from it four years ago. It also claimed Patrick Swayze.

And Michael Landon also died of it in 1991
Old 03-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
Penny Lane
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice

Rest in Peace, Bonnie Franklin. You were one cool lady.

I had a friend who died from pancreatic cancer at age 49. So sad!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

Bonnie Gail Franklin was the first main cast member of "One Day at a Time to pass away. Was BGF the first guest star on "Hot in Cleveland" to pass away?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
Ohio8

Send a message via AIM to Ohio8 Send a message via Yahoo to Ohio8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
And Michael Landon also died of it in 1991

Michael's cancer spread to his liver and lymph nodes.