Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Polka Dot Ron
Occasional Poster

Default The Post-Richie Era is GREAT!

Hey There!

I have to say, and I've always said it, that the powers that be really put in a great effort to keep this show going after the departure of a major character, and took care of its fans.

I've been watching some of the eps currently running on Hallmark, and while yes, Fonzie did get a little fat, and Potsie was given a lobotomy, but the episodes really aren't that bad, and contained a lot of payoffs for the longtime fans.

Here's a selected list ... please feel free to add to it!

1) Jenny Piccolo came to life! Cathy Silvers nailed it. Someone posted that the writers should have had her and Joanie move in together - that would have been great!

2) We saw Rosa Coletti!

3) Grandma Nussbaum!

4) The Falcons reunion! They got the same bad guy back!

5) They took Fonzie in different directions, and it was mostly good. While making him a restauranteur, teacher, and garage owner was a little far-fetched, it also was a move away from "Super Fonzie," and made him a good role model for little guys like me (at the time). The Ashley thing wasn't that great, though. Too much screen time taken away from the veteran characters!

6) There were some heartwarming stories ...

7) Chachi came into his own ...

What else?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

I liked that they made Fonzie an auto mechanic teacher at the high school and had him grow up a little. Too see him pushing 40 and still hitting on high school chicks is embarrassing. They had some good scripts in there here and there. True.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Race's Girl
Forum Veteran
Miss Tremendous

Send a message via MSN to Race's Girl Send a message via Yahoo to Race's Girl

The only bad thing was Flip arriving but I'm well glad Flip left & we never saw him again
Old 11-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race's Girl
The only bad thing was Flip arriving but I'm well glad Flip left & we never saw him again

I liked Flip. He was ok. I enjoyed the post Richie era. I remember when NAN stopped showing it and in 2000, we signed a petition for NAN to start airing the show. NAN would only air the first six eps and then cut back to season one. I hated that. My local affiliate in Tampa, FL would air the post Richie eps. I'd call just to find out what the eps would air and they would have someone tell me. When the show went to TV Land in 2002, the network aired the post eps.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
Race's Girl
Forum Veteran
Miss Tremendous

Send a message via MSN to Race's Girl Send a message via Yahoo to Race's Girl

The only post Richie characters I liked were Roger & Jenny
Old 05-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
FonzForever
Forum Regular
A classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman67
I liked that they made Fonzie an auto mechanic teacher at the high school and had him grow up a little. Too see him pushing 40 and still hitting on high school chicks is embarrassing. They had some good scripts in there here and there. True.

Doesn't make it much better but remember Fonzie's (not Henry Winkler) supposed to be 19 in Season one. So Fonzie (the character) would have been 30 at the end of the series.
I was watching regularly as the show aired in the most Richie era and while I still enjoyed it and agree while the writers tried hard too much had changed. The show in reality, somewhat turned into Happy Days: The Next Generation without a change in title.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:22 AM   #7
JH23
Frequent Poster

For the first time in my life I finished the entire series tonight. Season 8-11 were quite good. Never a dull moment with the Fonz. Henry Winkler was certainly at the top of his game when Ron Howard and Donny Most departed. Some amazing scenes with Henry. The best of which was when Flips friends were drink driving and hit little Heather. Such a powerful scene when Fonzie found out who did it. And the one where the Fonz thinks he found his mom and he went off at that customer who was touching her inappropriately. Henry really was a superb actor and such a sweet person in later seasons and he became the voice of reason for the most part.

Roger's character was one of my favourite of the newcomers and Eugene Belvin was hilarious. Also, Potsie really did disappear in a lot of the later episodes. His episode count was 50 more than Ron and Donny despite being in season 8-11 which had a total of 88 episodes.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

I started watching season 8-11 again, and you know they are NOT that bad. Some of the episodes are pretty good. With the exception of all that silly Joannie Chiachi drama. I liked the way they matured Fonzie, but did not like how they ended it with Ashley but I suppose they needed to continue to come up with some sort of new Fonz situations so it's understandable.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #9
howilu

Even though Happy Days lost its central character when Ron Howard left, Henry Winkler became the star and Fonzie matured a lot throughout the remainder of the show's run. After teaching auto mechanics at Jefferson High School, he joined Roger at the George S. Patton Vocational School as Dean of Boys.

Howard's departure also expanded Joanie and Chachi's roles. There was one episode I remember when they sang on a folk music TV show and fonzie was upset about the loss of rock and roll.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
mets82

I wasnt that keen on the post Richie era. It was ok. It was pretty obvious they tried to keep filling voids in. I mean Roger came in to replace Richie. Flip and K.C. came in to replace Joanie and Chacai. I dont know what Flip was there for. I will say the person who suffered the most, I think, was Potsie. The poor guy was hardly on after Richie and Ralph left. He could've been used more considering Richie and Ralph were gone.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #11
FonzForever
Forum Regular
A classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
I wasnt that keen on the post Richie era. It was ok. It was pretty obvious they tried to keep filling voids in. I mean Roger came in to replace Richie. Flip and K.C. came in to replace Joanie and Chacai. I dont know what Flip was there for. I will say the person who suffered the most, I think, was Potsie. The poor guy was hardly on after Richie and Ralph left. He could've been used more considering Richie and Ralph were gone.

Sometimes it worked better than others. The episodes where they had Roger, Potsie and Chachi as a new trio were fun. One of THE highlights of the show for longtime viewers IMO was we FINALLY more of Fonzie in action and saw why for years why he was so respected as a fighter. Most notably the one punch knockout in "Glove Story".