Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-29-2013, 03:05 AM   #16
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich3
Laverne and Shirley had pretty much the same thing happen. They started with Laverne's father operating a pizza shop in an inner city type location. But suddenly one year it changed to fried chicken/southern style restaurant. What they heck were they thinking?

Frank DeFazio moved out to California and opened Cowboy Bill's -- you must not be familiar with the big move of the series...?

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
Old 04-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #17
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
Frank DeFazio moved out to California and opened Cowboy Bill's -- you must not be familiar with the big move of the series...?

I forgot about that too. What is up with the writers? What is up with all the Western bragalia?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #18
Rich3
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson

Yes, I had forgotten about that. But it's basically the same idea with this show and Happy Days. They removed all of the atmosphere of the original shows, changing them from urban-to-suburban. And I think Garry Marshall (Penny's brother) probably had a lot to do with both shows.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #19
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

And what I thought was kind of a downer was having Edna leave Frank for another man towards the end of the show's run.

That last season was just one downer after another. Cancelling L&S was a mercy killing by the network, in my opinion.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #20
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Default ORIGINAL ARNOLD'S

Even the producers/writers know they screwed up, because ANY Happy Days reunion they had, they did it using the OLD Arnold's stage and appearance NEVER the new one.

I LOVED it when they shot outside in the parking lot. Day or night didn't matter. It was probably expensive to do it, but very authentic looking.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #21
MacLeaper
Child of the 80s

Quote:
And what I thought was kind of a downer was having Edna leave Frank for another man towards the end of the show's run.
Well, but when the actress wanted to leave the show and her contract was done- the writers have to do something. It was sad though- I'd much rather have seen her just not show up in episodes and not get mentioned- or a storyline could have been written to explain that she had gone back to Wisconsin for a while to take care of her ailing parents or something with Frank staying in California to run the restaurant.
Oh well- nonetheless, I still want to see Seasons 7 and 8 of Laverne & Shirley on DVD.
"Ha, I kill me!" - ALF
"I am The Way, The Truth and The Life. No man comes to The Father but by Me."- Jesus Christ (John 14:6)
Old 10-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #22
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeaper
Well, but when the actress wanted to leave the show and her contract was done- the writers have to do something. It was sad though- I'd much rather have seen her just not show up in episodes and not get mentioned- or a storyline could have been written to explain that she had gone back to Wisconsin for a while to take care of her ailing parents or something with Frank staying in California to run the restaurant.
Oh well- nonetheless, I still want to see Seasons 7 and 8 of Laverne & Shirley on DVD.
i agree - they didn't have to kill her off, or make her out to be someone that would do something so evil to Frank; it just seemed so out of character.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #23
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyrob
i agree - they didn't have to kill her off, or make her out to be someone that would do something so evil to Frank; it just seemed so out of character.

Agreed. Didn't she run off with another man or something like that?

I agree with MacLeaper that they could have just not mentioned her or said she went to take care of a sick relative.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:27 AM   #24
visaman666
Forum Regular

Oh man I must have stopped watching the show by then. When they moved to LA, I watched a few episodes and I was done.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #25
shotzette
De Facto Queen of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich3
Yes, I had forgotten about that. But it's basically the same idea with this show and Happy Days. They removed all of the atmosphere of the original shows, changing them from urban-to-suburban. And I think Garry Marshall (Penny's brother) probably had a lot to do with both shows.

Happy Days was always a suburban show. Richie and his friends lived in the middle class suburbs while the Laverne & Shirley group lived in the lower-income urban area. Fonzie made the "other side of the tracks" reference regarding the girls a few times.

"Awesome" ends in "Me".

Coincidence?

I think not.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #26
shotzette
De Facto Queen of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong

That last season was just one downer after another. Cancelling L&S was a mercy killing by the network, in my opinion.

Truth.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #27
Dave_L
Frequent Poster

One of my favorite moments from the later years of Happy Days (and there aren't a lot of good ones) is when Arnold (Pat Morita) returns for several episodes during (I think) the next-to-last season. When he first walks in to Arnold's in his 1st show back, he's shocked by what he sees. Fonzie comes out and greets him. Arnold asks what happened to the place. Fonzie replies that they'd had a fire. Arnold's response is "When are you going to clean it up?" Loved that the writers actually let Arnold get a little dig in about the remodel.

Even watching as a kid, I liked the fire episode, but wasn't thrilled with the new look that came afterwards. Plus, when watching later on in reruns, the New Arnold's always meant the Ron Howard era of the show was almost over. Talk about a one-two punch.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #28
caladon

It always got the impression that the new look of Arnold's was done to cater more to the college crowd and focus less on the high school trade.

After the show went to taping in front of an audience instead of filming it, it became really hit and miss on the quality. I prefered the pre-live audience seasons. The location shooting gave it a better look and feel.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #29
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by caladon
It always got the impression that the new look of Arnold's was done to cater more to the college crowd and focus less on the high school trade.

After the show went to taping in front of an audience instead of filming it, it became really hit and miss on the quality. I prefered the pre-live audience seasons. The location shooting gave it a better look and feel.

I suppose? Either way, it was AWFUL!
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #30
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Default ORIGINAL ARNOLD'S

The old Arnold's will be missed.

Funny thing is too, any reunion special they did, where'd they have it?

At the OLD Arnold's TOO!

Last edited by antman67 : 01-26-2014 at 11:20 AM.