Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
sandmountainslim
Occasional Poster

Default I hated the New Arnold's

One of the memories I have about HD going downhill (in my mind) was the episode where Arnold's burned and they rebuilt it as a wood panelled ......roadhouse or something. Nothing EVER looked right on the set after that.
Did anyone else hate the new look?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
mets82

I didnt like it either. The way you entered Arnolds with those doors reminded me of the old west. And what about those tables and benches? Were you going to a picnic?

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Default Hated the new Arnolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
I didnt like it either. The way you entered Arnolds with those doors reminded me of the old west. And what about those tables and benches? Were you going to a picnic?

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU! What were they thinking using this set? They could have just changed it but not gone Western DUDE style? What's up with the swinging doors too?

I really liked the movie Grease and maybe they should have done some type of diner look or something? It would have been so much better as seen here (See attached.
And yes, we have all heard it before that Henry Winkler was offered the Danny Zuko part but he turned it down because he thought he'd be type cast. (LOL).
Attached Images

Last edited by antman67 : 01-21-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad

Send a message via AIM to gilligan fanatic

I didn't mind it, but I didn't understand the western look either

Filmaf ~ Twitter ~ Last.FM
Old 02-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

According to the Internet: Season 7 Episode 156 January 22, 1980 "Hot Stuff" - Chachi burns down Arnolds leaving the stove on and throwing his apron on the grill, causing Arnold's to go up in flames.

This storyline was part of a decision by producers Garry Marshall and Lowell Ganz that the old '50s-style Arnold's was no longer appealing enough to teen audiences; it was burned down so it could be replaced with a more modern 60s-style restaurant set to coincide with the turn of the decade from the 50s to the 60s.

Last edited by antman67 : 04-28-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
retrofan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman67
This storyline was part of a decision by producers Garry Marshall and Lowell Ganz that the old '50s-style Arnold's was no longer appealing enough to teen audiences; it was burned down so it could be replaced with a more modern 60s-style restaurant set to coincide with the turn of the decade from the 50s to the 60s.

I can understand them wanting to better represent the 60's, however when they said that a 50's diner wouldn't appeal to teen audiences anymore, were they referring to the TV audience? If so, the show at that time was airing in the 80's, so, I'm not sure what difference it would make to teens of the 80's if the diner was 50's or 60's. LOL! In regard to the new style of Arnold's, I believe that western style was a very common look for restaurants in the 60's.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
shotzette
De Facto Queen of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrofan05
In regard to the new style of Arnold's, I believe that western style was a very common look for restaurants in the 60's.

I wonder if the same set did double duty as the set for Cowboy Bill's in Laverne & Shirley?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

That's a good question shotzette. I don't know -- the configuation seems wrong to be able to accomplish that. Plus, consider all of the signage and stuff in Cowboy Bills. Would they really take the time to re-dress the set over and over with all of that?

Anyway, it's important to remember as a previous poster referenced that HD had become a 60s show. 1950s diners were giving way, at least to some modernization, though I think that a westernish motif was maybe unlikely for Wisconsin!

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
Old 03-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Even though the changeover to the new Arnold's took place towards the end of the Ron Howard era, I always associate it with the last four seasons (1980-1984).

I didn't hate it, but it was a little too slick looking for me.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

Just don't be the guy who ate too much chili while Fonzie was in his "office".

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Old 04-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #11
Yong Fang

I totally forgot about the second Arnold's!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
Rich3
Forum Regular

I hated everything about the later Happy Days seasons, the changes to Arnold's being a big part of it. The producers of the show seemed to realize their mistake when they began grasping at changes in the final season to make things more "real" and less corny, kind of like the earlier seasons. It would have been interesting if they had gone a little longer to see where that would have led them.

Laverne and Shirley had pretty much the same thing happen. They started with Laverne's father operating a pizza shop in an inner city type location. But suddenly one year it changed to fried chicken/southern style restaurant. What they heck were they thinking?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
mets82

Did you notice Richie and Ralph were only seen in the new Arnold's for only a couple of episodes before they left? I would have liked to see them interact at the New Arnolds a little more.

Btw, they wanted Arnold's to look like the 60s. It looks like the 60s.The 1860s
Old 04-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Default HATED the NEW ARNOLD'S

Quote:
Did you notice Richie and Ralph were only seen in the new Arnold's for only a couple of episodes before they left? I would have liked to see them interact at the New Arnolds a little more.

I HATED the new Arnold's SO MUCH. Another jump the shark moment. To be fair, they had no Internet to research what 1960's restaurants looked like. Oh but wait! Didn't they have libraries back then? Oh people old enough working on the show who remembered the early 1960s?

"1860s" You got that right. Only thing missing were cowboy hats.

Oh wait, the Lone Ranger did make an appearance!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:

Well, throw in the afros, feathered hair, jean jackets and....

We all know that HD stopped paying attention to period detail after the second season. And throw in the weak replacement characters and 1980 is pretty much the beginning of a long, slow decline.