Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Odd Couple links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Odd Couple Photo Gallery

The Odd Couple - The First Season

Buy The Odd Couple - The First Season on DVD
The Odd Couple - The Second Season

Buy The Odd Couple - The Second Season on DVD
The Odd Couple - The Third Season

Buy The Odd Couple - The Third Season on DVD
The Odd Couple - The Fourth Season

Buy The Odd Couple - The Fourth Season on DVD
The Odd Couple - The Fifth Season

Buy The Odd Couple - The Fifth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Odd Couple
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Rare Game Show on GSN with TV Veterans; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of October 27, 2014)
Steve Coogan Tapped for Happyish Pilot for Showtime; Lifetime's Lizzie Borden Movie Turning Into Limited Series
CBS to Launch Decades, A New Digital Subchannel; The CW Orders Full Seasons of The Flash, Jane the Virgin
COZI TV Goes One Step Beyond on Halloween; FX Unveils Simpsons World
Hogan's Heroes Returns to TV Land; CBS All Access Service Includes Classic TV
Week 4 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: CBS Introduces CBS All Access; Even More Remakes of Classic TV Series Under Consideration; New Family Guy DVDs

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Yong Fang
Forum Regular

Default Whatever happened to Tony Randall's wife and kids?

That is the question.

Tony Randall was married twice. He and his first wife could not have children, they were married for decades and she died.

Randall married another woman who was over 40 years younger than him and they had two children when Tony was something like 80 years old. Tony decided to concieve because having a child was something he wanted in life, but loved his first wife.

Tony died when his kids were in pre-school, and wonder whatever happened to that family, did the second wife remarry and have more children? Considering how wealthy Tony Randall probably was, she was probably in a strange position of finding someone who would not mind raising two children and for her to find someone to love her for her and not a wealthy widow.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
gidgetgrape

Heather Harlan. About 4 years ago I read an article about her that said she didn't have any interest in being a professional widow and that she spent her time doing charity work and supporting the theatre. Personally, I'm glad she has kept a low profile and hasn't ruin Tony's legacy.

Heather and Tony's son in 2010:
http://www.contactmusic.com/photo/ma...11_wenn5574265
Old 12-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad

Send a message via AIM to gilligan fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgetgrape
Heather Harlan. About 4 years ago I read an article about her that said she didn't have any interest in being a professional widow and that she spent her time doing charity work and supporting the theatre. Personally, I'm glad she has kept a low profile and hasn't ruin Tony's legacy.

Heather and Tony's son in 2010:
http://www.contactmusic.com/photo/ma...11_wenn5574265

I agree, it is probbably better that we don't hear a lot from her.

Filmaf ~ Twitter ~ Last.FM
Old 12-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Yong Fang
Forum Regular

I think that they actually loved and cared about each other. It is also something to ask a woman to bear children for a man who KNOWS that he is not going to live to see his children graduate primary school, much less high school.

She knew going into this that this would happen, which makes me question the ethics of an elderly man having children. James Doohan, Mr. Scott (my favorite TOS character) did about the same thing, although Doohan I believe already had adult children. Should Mr. Randall denied himself offspring because of his situation, being in a loving marriage with a wife who could not bear children who died. The children are going to feel some resentment about that. Not to mention having no grandparents with cousins old enough to be his grandfather.

He was 75, she was 25.

Some observations about Randall.....

He did not look like a "Tony". More like a Winthrop, a William or a Thomas. Tony is an ethnic name, mostly Italian and Latin. He was born in the 1920's, how did he get the name "Tony"? (Sort of answered my own question, it is a stage name, his real name is Albert.)

He was the original "metrosexual". He was gay except for his sexual preference. A modern example is the actor who played Fez on "That 70's Show", Wilmer Valderrama.

Guess where he was born? New York City? Chicago? Boston? Try TULSA, Oklahoma. Not a Boomer Sooner unfortunately, went to Northwestern in Chicago for a year before travelling to New York City and fame.

His first grandchild will not be born much before 2020, when Randall would have been 100 years old to more like 2030 when he would have been 110.

Last edited by Yong Fang : 12-28-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
shotzette
Forum Regular
De Facto Queen of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang
I think that they actually loved and cared about each other. It is also something to ask a woman to bear children for a man who KNOWS that he is not going to live to see his children graduate primary school, much less high school.

She knew going into this that this would happen, which makes me question the ethics of an elderly man having children. James Doohan, Mr. Scott (my favorite TOS character) did about the same thing, although Doohan I believe already had adult children. Should Mr. Randall denied himself offspring because of his situation, being in a loving marriage with a wife who could not bear children who died. The children are going to feel some resentment about that. Not to mention having no grandparents with cousins old enough to be his grandfather.

There are some caveats about having children later in life; one's own mortalitly does factor into it. However, a nineteen year old parent could get hit by a bus...

I doubt they went into this haphazardly, and the late Mr. Randall was more than capable of establishing an estate that would ensure his children wouldn't do without. If you can do this, and have a partner whose ideals and values you respect, your children will be better off than most.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
GeorgeWBushGOP
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotzette
There are some caveats about having children later in life; one's own mortalitly does factor into it. However, a nineteen year old parent could get hit by a bus...

I doubt they went into this haphazardly, and the late Mr. Randall was more than capable of establishing an estate that would ensure his children wouldn't do without. If you can do this, and have a partner whose ideals and values you respect, your children will be better off than most.

He seemed like a spry older gentleman at the time.. Very active..

I think it was very conceivable that he thought he could live well into his nineties..

He didnt.. It is amazing to most people that he was outlived by Jack Klugman by a decade!!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #7
Yong Fang
Forum Regular

It is amazing to most people that he was outlived by Jack Klugman by a decade!!

Read more: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...#ixzz2NUmufI00

That sort of amazed me too. Randall was very meticulous about his health and he HATED smoking and would not allow anyone to smoke anywhere around him, and remember, the bulk of his career was between the 1950's-1980's when most men smoked and smoked everywhere and anywhere. He was also very fit and slim. For a 75-80 year old man to have sex with a 25 year old girl and make TWO kids means he was healthy until he died, which it should be.

Jack Klugman on the other hand was at least a pack a day smoker until he got cancer of the voicebox (or a throat like cancer). I do not know Mr. Klugman, but he seems to be a guy who probably engaged in more drinking than Randall and probably not as meticulous about his diet (however, this is speculation on my part.). Klugman was not fat, but Randall basically stayed the same size his whole life.

I think life is mostly luck, and the guy who is more guarded about his health is the one who dies, and the guy who drinks scotch and martinis in a haze of blue cigarette smoke lives a decade longer scoffing the doctors. Just luck.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #8
Yong Fang
Forum Regular

DOUBLE POST!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #9
Yong Fang
Forum Regular

Read more: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...#ixzz2NUmufI00

That sort of amazed me too. Randall was very meticulous about his health and he HATED smoking and would not allow anyone to smoke anywhere around him, and remember, the bulk of his career was between the 1950's-1980's when most men smoked and smoked everywhere and anywhere. He was also very fit and slim. For a 75-80 year old man to have sex with a 25 year old girl and make TWO kids means he was healthy until he died, which it should be.

Jack Klugman on the other hand was at least a pack a day smoker until he got cancer of the voicebox (or a throat like cancer). I do not know Mr. Klugman, but he seems to be a guy who probably engaged in more drinking than Randall and probably not as meticulous about his diet (however, this is speculation on my part.). Klugman was not fat, but Randall basically stayed the same size his whole life.

I think life is mostly luck, and the guy who is more guarded about his health is the one who dies, and the guy who drinks scotch and martinis in a haze of blue cigarette smoke lives a decade longer scoffing the doctors. Just luck.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:58 AM   #10
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang

Hmm. I can't think of a person who was more careful about living a healthy lifestyle than Jack LaLanne, and he lived to 96.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotzette

The first thought, yes one could get hit by a car at 35 and have a ten year old child. But being 10 years old with a 35 year old dad, you can say he can live to 85. You have a good 60 years with Dad. You really can't plan on seeing dad if you are 10 and he is 75.

As for Heather I expect she will remarry . I always wonder about young widows. MUst be lonely all alone.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
gidgetgrape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeecup
The first thought, yes one could get hit by a car at 35 and have a ten year old child. But being 10 years old with a 35 year old dad, you can say he can live to 85. You have a good 60 years with Dad. You really can't plan on seeing dad if you are 10 and he is 75.

You have to factor in quality of time too.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
pakris
First Time Poster

Default Real Info

Mr. Randall's given name was Arthur Leonard Rosenburg but he answered to Tony Randall for a long time. That was his name and that's what he went by.

The Randall children do have cousins, in fact two of them each 8 years older than the Randall children.

Heather's not lonely or alone.

There was nothing gay about Tony.