Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Yong Fang

Default Did anyone NOT LIKE this show?

Not to offend, but I have never been much of a fan of this series. Which is pretty ironic actually since I do like Ron Howard (mostly because of Opie and the great movies he directed) and Henry Winkler.

What I disliked:

1.) Anson Williams and Donny Most. Them and Ron Howard were supposed to be in High School, but it was fairly obvious that they were in their mid 20's. I never liked either actor, I thought that both were grating in different ways. Ralph Malph? Potsie?

2.) It became the Fonzie show and not a period piece as first intended. Actually, I liked the first season of Happy Days when it was on film and before Fonzie was the main character. It was a little bit like The Wonder Years. The whole turning attention to Fonzie just ruined it for me.

I dunno, was Fonzie cool? The Fonz was a short guy with a Napoleonic or even a God Complex, however he hung out in the bathroom and made it his "office". Instead of paying money for the jukebox, he just hit it to make it go, which is more or less robbing Al. He ended up renting a room over the Cunningham's garage. Never wore a helmet driving that big hog of his. Yet, he was a ladykiller?

3.) The show basically had two settings, the Cunningham home and Arnolds. Everything happened at Arnolds. Everything, weddings, funerals, bar mitvahs, when Joanie lost her virginity in the bathroom, I did love that wonderful pinball machine that they had though.

4.) The 1970's were creeping in, with especially hair styles. MASH is guilty of this too. Especially Scott Biao. Flybacks and big hair.

5.) The show died when Ron Howard left (taking Donny Most who immediately ventured into the outer darkness with Joyce Dewitt and the members of The Knack.) No Most and Howard left Anson Williams very lonely, sometimes playing gigs at Arnolds (no one told him that he was over 21 and that he can hang out in adult places and not at the malt shop). There was an actress who was playing the wife of the Richie character, with Ron Howard gone, she was an awkward presence. Hell, one awful episode, she and Richie were married via a radio (Richie and Ralph Malph joins the Army and I think they were in Alaska) with her wearing a white dress. I mean, couldn't they rap up Richie when Ron was still in the cast and whisk away that cast member since she was no longer needs or required?

So, to me, Fonzie took over the show (and this is no offense to Henry Winkler who I like very much), which changed the tone of the series, Anson Williams and Donny Most were grating and annoying (and too old), the style of the period was less observed over time. There were two sets (the house and Arnold's) and everything happened at Arnold's. And let's remember, the term "Jump the Shark" came from this series.

I never liked Laverne and Shirley either except for Betty Garett and the guy who played Laverne's father. He was a pizza baker (if I remember) and he looks like a guy who could make a mean pizza. The Lenny and Squiggy duo was obnoxious and horrible. The annoying Carmine guy. Then all of the sudden, everyone, including Lenny and Squiggy for some reason) pull up stakes and move to California. I think if this show were on today, these two would be lesbians. Maybe, maybe not, but they did act like a couple.

Then Shirley Williams (damn these Williams people) gets mad at the show and quits(for some reason, and making the show the Laverne show. Then Penny decides that she will be the female Ron Howard and make Ron Howard like movies. Good move because she is an awful annoying actress who became a wonderful film director.

I haven't seen an episode of L and H in decades. BUT, they had one of my favorite theme songs of all shows. I used to turn on the show just for the theme and after it was done, I would change to another channel.

But yeah, I think Happy Days was completely overrated.

Last edited by Yong Fang : 06-16-2014 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Because I was drunk when I penned this and wanted to change things.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

to each their own - there are plenty of "classic" sitcoms that I can't stand, some I don't even understand how anyone could even watch them.

Last edited by robyrob : 11-10-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

If you were a kid growing up in the 1970's then HD was the show to watch. Everybody wanted to be like the Fonz. I even imitated him. The show still holds up to me as one of the best sitcoms of that decade.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
retroTVfan4ever

I have to agree with Yong Fang. There are a few 70's shows I like, but Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley are not among them. The majority of shows I like are from the 60's, I think the 60's was by far the best decade for TV. Some 50's shows are OK, but many 50's shows have become dated now and are not really all that watchable anymore.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Yeah, for a few years in the 70's I honestly didn't know anyone who didn't watch HD. It was just 'appointment' viewing for the whole country.

I doubt I'd laugh out loud at it today. I think if I watched it now I would mostly smile out of nostalgia, and in many ways, it was kind of show that appealed to young people more than adults. The Fonz really ended up being kind of a superhero, not very realistic but likeable. You can't really blame the creators for focusing on the Fonz when he became the most popular character. To do otherwise would probably have doomed the show.

I agree that when Richie left, the show kind of lost its appeal, at least for me. And yes, the guys in their 20s and 30s playing teenagers was a stretch but that's been true of many shows, including most of them featuring teenage characters today.

Basically the show appealed to the 50's nostalgia of the time and was just a comfort food show. The characters weren't very complex, and there was a family feel to it that welcomed you right in. I think to over analyze it is probably to miss the point of it. It wasn't about complexity, it was about simplicity.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang
Not to offend, but I have never been much of a fan of this series. Which is pretty ironic actually since I do like Ron Howard (mostly because of Opie and the great movies he directed) and Henry Winkler.

What I disliked:

1.) Anson Williams and Donny Most. Them and Ron Howard were supposed to be in High School, but it was fairly obvious that they were in their mid 20's. I never liked either actor, I thought that both were grating in different ways. Ralph Malph? Potsie?

2.) It became the Fonzie show and not a period piece as first intended. Actually, I liked the first season of Happy Days when it was on film and before Fonzie was the main character. It was a little bit like The Wonder Years. The whole turning attention to Fonzie just ruined it for me.

I dunno, was Fonzie cool? The Fonz was a short guy with a Napoleonic or even a God Complex, however he hung out in the bathroom and made it his "office". Instead of paying money for the jukebox, he just hit it to make it go, which is more or less robbing Al. He ended up renting a room over the Cunningham's garage. Never wore a helmet driving that big hog of his. Yet, he was a ladykiller?

3.) The show basically had two settings, the Cunningham home and Arnolds. Everything happened at Arnolds. I did love that wonderful pinball machine that they had though.

4.) The 1970's were creeping in, with especially hair styles. MASH is guilty of this too. Especially Scott Biao. Flybacks and big hair.

5.) The show died when Ron Howard left (taking Donny Most who immediately ventured into the outer darkness with Joyce Dewitt and the members of The Knack.) No Most and Howard left Anson Williams very lonely, sometimes playing gigs at Arnolds (no one told him that he was over 21 and that he can hang out in adult places and not at the malt shop). There was an actress who was playing the wife of the Richie character, with Ron Howard gone, she was an awkward presence. Hell, one awful episode, she and Richie were married via a radio (Richie and Ralph Malph joins the Army and I think they were in Alaska) with her wearing a white dress. I mean, couldn't they rap up Richie when Ron was still in the cast and whisk away that cast member since she was no longer needs or required?

So, to me, Fonzie took over the show (and this is no offense to Henry Winkler), which changed the tone of the series, Anson Williams and Donny Most were grating and annoying (and too old), the style of the period was less observed over time. There were two sets (the house and Arnold's) and everything happened at Arnold's. And let's remember, the term "Jump the Shark" came from this series.

I never liked Laverne and Shirley either except for Betty Garett and the guy who played Laverne's father. He was a pizza baker (if I remember) and he looks like a guy who could make a mean pizza. The Lenny and Squiggy duo was obnoxious and horrible. The annoying Carmine guy. Then all of the sudden, everyone, including Lenny and Squggy for some reason) pull up stakes and move to California. I think if this show were on today, these two would be lesbians. Maybe, maybe not, but they did act like a couple.

Then Shirley Williams (damn these Williams people) gets mad at the show (for some reason, and entered that dark void where Donny Most is with Janet and the dudes from The Knack) making the show the Laverne show. Then Penny decides that she will be the female Ron Howard and make Ron Howard like movies (which were very good for the most part).

I haven't seen an episode of L and H in decades. BUT, they had one of my favorite theme songs of all shows. I used to turn on the show just for the theme and after it was done, I would change to another channel.

You coming to a show's message board to say what you don't like about it is considered trolling.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

Since the question was asked I would agree with those that don't really like this show.

The idea is cute and the show is nostalgic but it's not really funny.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big3sCompanyFan
Since the question was asked I would agree with those that don't really like this show.

The idea is cute and the show is nostalgic but it's not really funny.

Happy Days is basically a 1970's parody of the 1950's, similar to That 70's Show being a 1990's parody of the 1970's. Neither show is effective in my opinion.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
shotzette
De Facto Queen of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
You coming to a show's message board to say what you don't like about it is considered trolling.

Actually, "trolling" is just dropping a hostile or inflammatory line or two and then stepping back and watching while others become apoplectic trying to change your mind. While many of my opinions differ from those of the OP, I do not consider him/her a troll.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotzette
Actually, "trolling" is just dropping a hostile or inflammatory line or two and then stepping back and watching while others become apoplectic trying to change your mind. While many of my opinions differ from those of the OP, I do not consider him/her a troll.

Oh ok, so I guess I can go to the Nanny Board and list tons of reasons why I don't like that show. I really thought that was against the rules
Old 11-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
Skywalker
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang

What I disliked:

3.) The show basically had two settings, the Cunningham home and Arnolds. Everything happened at Arnolds. I did love that wonderful pinball machine that they had though.

So, to me, Fonzie took over the show (and this is no offense to Henry Winkler), which changed the tone of the series, Anson Williams and Donny Most were grating and annoying (and too old), the style of the period was less observed over time. There were two sets (the house and Arnold's) and everything happened at Arnold's. And let's remember, the term "Jump the Shark" came from this series.

I never liked Laverne and Shirley either except for Betty Garett and the guy who played Laverne's father. He was a pizza baker (if I remember) and he looks like a guy who could make a mean pizza. The Lenny and Squiggy duo was obnoxious and horrible. The annoying Carmine guy. Then all of the sudden, everyone, including Lenny and Squggy for some reason) pull up stakes and move to California. I think if this show were on today, these two would be lesbians. Maybe, maybe not, but they did act like a couple.

Then Shirley Williams (damn these Williams people) gets mad at the show (for some reason, and entered that dark void where Donny Most is with Janet and the dudes from The Knack) making the show the Laverne show. Then Penny decides that she will be the female Ron Howard and make Ron Howard like movies (which were very good for the most part).

You make some interesting points. I don't agree with most of them, but I do agree that Happy Days died when Ron Howard left. They should have ended the show when he left. I've seen most of the post Ron Howard episodes and never cared about the new characters and didn't like the changes they made to The Fonz. Maybe it's just me, but I remember watching those eps and wondering where Anson Williams was. It didn't seem like he was on the show very much after Ron and Donny left. The one good thing about those seasons is they made Jenny Piccalo an onscreen character. Other than that, the show is hard to watch (for me) after season 7. I think it was starting to show signs of wear shortly after Richie, Ralph and Potsie graduated from high school, but it was still watchable.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
Oh ok, so I guess I can go to the Nanny Board and list tons of reasons why I don't like that show. I really thought that was against the rules
he was respectful and just stated his own personal opinions about what specifically he did not enjoy about the show - he didn't just come out and trash it or anything
Old 11-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #13
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!

Me personally, I liked the show very much, every single season and thought most of the cast was tops. Loved watching the show as a teen when it originally rolled and love it now. I can't think of anything I disliked about the show, except that it ended.

But we all have different tastes. Like for example, I never really got into Star Trek yet the show has millions of hard core fans and a cult following.

xxoo You both Rock!!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #14
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts!
Me personally, I liked the show very much, every single season and thought most of the cast was tops. Loved watching the show as a teen when it originally rolled and love it now. I can't think of anything I disliked about the show, except that it ended.

But we all have different tastes. Like for example, I never really got into Star Trek yet the show has millions of hard core fans and a cult following.
That's pretty much how I feel. I still watch the show and love it. As for Star Trek, I used to love it as a kid but can't get into it now. I guess some shows you do grow out of. I still love Lost in Space though. lol
Old 11-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #15
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
Happy Days is basically a 1970's parody of the 1950's, similar to That 70's Show being a 1990's parody of the 1970's. Neither show is effective in my opinion.

Right on! I've seen both of those shows and neither make me laugh although Happy Days is slightly better since they have Fonz and you may laugh once in a blue moon.

That Ashton Kutcher is such a dork in that 70s show. Can't believe that moron became such a star!