Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Alice (Sitcoms Online) / Alice links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Alice Photo Gallery / Flo Message Board / Flo Photo Gallery

Alice - The Complete First Season

Buy Alice - The Complete First Season on DVD (WBShop.com)
(Amazon.com)
Alice - The Complete Second Season

Buy Alice - The Complete Second Season on DVD (WBShop.com)
(Amazon.com)
Alice - The Complete Third Season

Buy Alice - The Complete Third Season on DVD (WBShop.com)
(Amazon.com)
Alice - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Alice - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD (WBShop.com)
(Amazon.com)
Alice - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Alice - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD (WBShop.com)
(Amazon.com)
Alice - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Alice - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD (WBShop.com)
(Amazon.com)
Alice - Television Favorites

Buy Alice - Television Favorites on DVD
Flo - The Complete Series

Buy Flo - The Complete Series (WBShop.com) on DVD
(Amazon.com)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Alice
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime
CBS Orders Full Seasons of Sophomore Sitcoms; Desperate Housewives Star Heads to Dynasty
Two and a Half Men Heads to Nick at Nite; WE tv Acquires Criminal Minds

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Alice - The Complete Second Season DVD Review

Alice, Flo, Vera, Mel, and Tommy are back in Alice - The Complete Second Season! Following up on Warner Archive's successful release of the first season this past summer, we now have the sophomore season of the series about a widowed mother and musician trying to make the best of her life as a waitress in Arizona. Based upon the film Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, the series ran for an amazing nine season run on CBS. This three disc set from Warner Archive brings all 24 episodes of the 1977-1978 season of the series to DVD for the very first time.

Read our review by skees53 here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/aliceseason2dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
retroTVfan4ever

Sales of Alice on DVD have been doing well mainly because the show still has a large enough fan base, also because the series has been mostly out of the syndication rotation for quite a while, so these days if you want to see the show you basically have to buy the DVD's. For me, it's the type of show I wouldn't mind to see again if the repeats would air on TV, but not sure if I want to purchase on DVD. The seasons with Flo are the best, seasons 1-4, if I would buy DVD's it would be those first four seasons only, nothing else after that.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Kasey
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
Sales of Alice on DVD have been doing well mainly because the show still has a large enough fan base, also because the series has been mostly out of the syndication rotation for quite a while, so these days if you want to see the show you basically have to buy the DVD's. For me, it's the type of show I wouldn't mind to see again if the repeats would air on TV, but not sure if I want to purchase on DVD. The seasons with Flo are the best, seasons 1-4, if I would buy DVD's it would be those first four seasons only, nothing else after that.

As long as WA keeps releasing them, I plan on ordering on Day One to ensure I receive pressed discs. ALICE is still one of my all-time Top 10 shows and the comedy really holds up--unlike some of its contemporaries like LAVERNE & SHIRLEY which I can now only tolerate in small doses since the writing seemed to be geared toward ten-year-olds.

I don't think ALICE suffered that much when Flo left. Seasons 5 and 6 still had some classic episodes (Belle's arrival, Vera the Vamp; Jerry Reed Fish Story; Bet-a-Million Mel; Alice and the Acorns; Mel's Cousin Wendell).

For me, Season 7 was when things fell apart. When the show was moved to Wednesdays in 1982, something seemed a little 'off' right then and it never really recovered. Still, if WA puts out all 9 seasons, I will buy all of them.

Top 10 Shows I Want Completed on DVD: It's a Living, Alice, The Donna Reed Show, Phyllis, Petticoat Junction, My Three Sons, Murphy Brown, The Hogan Family, Julia, 227

Last edited by Kasey : 12-10-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey
As long as WA keeps releasing them, I plan on ordering on Day One to ensure I receive pressed discs. ALICE is still one of my all-time Top 10 shows and the comedy really holds up--unlike some of its contemporaries like LAVERNE & SHIRLEY which I can now only tolerate in small doses since the writing seemed to be geared toward ten-year-olds.

I don't think ALICE suffered that much when Flo left. Seasons 5 and 6 still had some classic episodes (Belle's arrival, Vera the Vamp; Jerry Reed Fish Story; Bet-a-Million Mel; Alice and the Acorns; Mel's Cousin Wendell).

For me, Season 7 was when things fell apart. When the show was moved to Wednesdays in 1982, something seemed a little 'off' right there and it never really recovered. Still, if WA puts out all 9 seasons, I will buy all of them.

Pressed disc or DVD-R, either one is OK with me. I agree Alice did still have some good episodes in the post Flo era, it just wasn't the same show anymore without her. Interesting though that the character of Flo failed in her own sitcom, spin offs are a gamble, some succeed, some fail. I've always thought Alice should have been called Mel's Diner, Vic Tayback carried the show, along with Polly Holliday as the wisecracking waitress Flo. Linda Lavin was billed as the main star, but her character was bland compared to Flo and Mel.