Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #121
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

The following from the DVD release notes of Bonanza:

"One of the season's final episodes, "The Avenger, is essentially a showcase for guest star Vic Morrow as a man named Lassiter, whose heightened sense of justice was forged years earlier when his parents were lynched.

"The Avenger" was clearly intended as the pilot for a spin-off series, but nothing came of it; Morrow would have to wait two years before landing his own weekly program, 'Combat'."
Old 09-20-2009, 02:58 AM   #122
jehobden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
The episode "Cavender is Coming" was the basis for a proposed series starring Jesse White who returns to Earth each week as an angel to help those like Agnes Grep but of course it never materialized. It also had nothing to do with whether or not The Carol Burnett Show would've been seen since the series was never intended for her.

I remember seeing "Cavender Is Coming" as a rerun of TZ when I was a teen, and it aired w/ a laugh track, which seemed very unusual to me. Marc Scott Zicree mentions the laugh track for this ep in his book. Since then, I've seen the ep both on Sci-Fi Channel and DVD, and the laughs have been removed. It may have been an interesting DVD option, similar to what I have heard has been done for M*A*S*H on DVD, to watch this ep w/ or w/o the laugh track.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:24 AM   #123
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Smallville was supposed to get a spin-off called Aquaman; coming off the Season Five episode "Aqua".

The Aquaman pilot was made but it never made it to airing. However, the studio made it available for purchase on the iTunes store.

Also, Best Buy had it available in specially marked Smallville DVD sets as an exclusive bonus disc.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #124
Linx
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
I'm unfamiliar with Sabrina so I can't help with that one.

It aired on an episode Sabrina as a backdoor pilot. I think it was called Witch Wright Hall. It would have starred MJH younger sister.

Another spinoff that never happened was on Married With Children. Was about college radio station at Bud's college.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #125
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

The NBC drama "Heroes" was scheduled to have a spinoff show called "Heroes: Origins" but thanks to the writers strike, they show was canned.

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 01-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #126
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

The most FAMOUS spinoff that never was....The MERTZES!

They could've come up with enough storylines to just do ONE season but Vivian Vance was an EVIL woman for actually wishing DEATH on William Frawley!

There are plenty of people in the history of hollywood who don't get along but still work together and act PROFESSIONAL. Vivian obviously didn't know how to behave professionally and acted like spoiled little brat!!
Old 01-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #127
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Prison Break was supposed to get a spin-off series that was to take place in a female prison.

The characters that were due to appear were in a few eps. of the series and the direct-to-DVD movie The Final Break.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #128
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
Prison Break was supposed to get a spin-off series that was to take place in a female prison.

The characters that were due to appear were in a few eps. of the series and the direct-to-DVD movie The Final Break.

That would've bombed. Female prisons aren't exactly exciting.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #129
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big3sCompanyFan
That would've bombed. Female prisons aren't exactly exciting.

That may be true considering "The L Word" was suppose to have a spinoff about a female prison and Showtime decided not to pick it up.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:28 AM   #130
TV_on_the_Porch
Forum Regular
anything good on?

I saw the projected spinoff of Emergency!, called 905 Wild. It is virtually unendurable, to the point you almost begin to wonder seriously if they wanted it to be that bad, they seemed to put so much effort into making it that way!

This is my speculation based on nothing at all but what I saw...maybe someone can confirm or deny my suspicions definitively...I think the producers were looking to keep the slot soon to be vacated by Adam 12 by selling the network on another half-hour show and conceived a pilot accordingly. The decision was made to film it as an episode of Emergency! without enough time to properly rework it, so that everything that happens--to the extent that anything happens at all--takes twice as long as it needs to. Establishing shots, reaction shots, pauses between passages of dialog--you name it, it if will fill time, they doubled it!

Too bad really. With the talented cast assembled, it might have been a cute little show. But the presentation was sooooo woeful (it needed fixing up far beyond just shortening up) it didn't have a lamb's chance in hades.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #131
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Besides "Faith the Vampire Slayer" Buffy had a few undeveloped spin-off attempts:

"Buffy the Animated Series"

An animated series called Buffy the Animated Series was originally greenlit by FOX in 2002 for FOX Kids.

However, FOX Kids ended shortly after and no other netork was interested.

Then in 2004 FOX showed interest in developing and then selling the show to another network. However, the darker tones and elements of the cartoon made it difficult for other networks to fit it in with their regular children's programming.

Creator Joss Whedon officially declared the series dead in 2005.

*Note - A 4-minute pilot was the only thing made from this series that was used to sell it to the networks. It got leaked on the internet sometime in the years past.

All of the main cast from the show reprised their roles for the series with the exception of Sarah Michelle Gellar who didn't want to do it.

Replacing her voice as "Buffy" was voice actress Giselle Loren who had done "Buffy's" voice for the video games based off of the show.

"Ripper"

There were talks of a spin-off show featuring "Giles" played by Anthony Stuart Head titled his nick-name Ripper.

Talks came originally in 2001 for it to be a mini-series for BBC television.

Then around 2005 there was word it was to be a made-for-DVD movie.

Then at Comic-Con in 2007 Joss Whedon mentioned that it was to be a 90-minute tv-special on BBC.

Shortly after Anthony Head and Joss Whedon became involved with other projects so Ripper was put on hold.

Joss Whedon's last comments on Ripper was in 2008 when he mentioned it might become to problematic with the rights and that he was committed to Dollhouse.

*Note - Since the cancellation of Dollhouse there hasn't been any new word on what's going on with Ripper and many fans are waiting to hear from Whedon.

"Slayer School"

Slayer School was an attempted spin-off that never got past talking about it.

When Buffy was nearing its end Whedon and other writers/producers were trying to think about other projects to keep Buffy going.

The general idea was to feature "The Potentials" who are girls from around the world that are randomly chosen to gain the power of a Slayer after another Slayer dies.

The show would show how "The Watchers" track down and guide "The Potentials" into becoming full Slayers.

Joss Whedon felt it "wasn't right" and the early ideas were scrapped.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #132
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
The most FAMOUS spinoff that never was....The MERTZES!

They could've come up with enough storylines to just do ONE season but Vivian Vance was an EVIL woman for actually wishing DEATH on William Frawley!

There are plenty of people in the history of hollywood who don't get along but still work together and act PROFESSIONAL. Vivian obviously didn't know how to behave professionally and acted like spoiled little brat!!

In all fairness, I heard that William Frawley was a pretty abrasive man, who drank heavily and did not treat Vivian Vance well. He may have brought some of that hate on himself. And Vance was not happy with being paired with a man who was old enough to be her father. I think Frawley was about 20 years older than Vance as I recall.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #133
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
In all fairness, I heard that William Frawley was a pretty abrasive man, who drank heavily and did not treat Vivian Vance well. He may have brought some of that hate on himself. And Vance was not happy with being paired with a man who was old enough to be her father. I think Frawley was about 20 years older than Vance as I recall.

But that happens in hollywood! Louise Jefferson was old enough to be George Jefferson's FATHER eventhough they looked the same age and George may have actually looked a bit OLDER! Amazing yet they got along fine and even did guest spots and commericals together after the show was over.

I'm sure there have been worse people than William Frawley in Hollywood and they could've worked something out to do "The Metzes". Vance could've made Frawley sign a contract that he would change his abrasive ways or she has the right to leave the show anytime.

They could've made history even if they did ONE year of that show and you'd bet it would be on DVD!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #134
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
But that happens in hollywood! Louise Jefferson was old enough to be George Jefferson's FATHER...

Um, excuse me...?
Old 01-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #135
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
Um, excuse me...?

HA HA! You know I meant MOTHER!