Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #61
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

back in the 60s; Gene Rodenberry wanted to make a spin-off of "STAR TREK". I forget what it was going to be called, but it would have been about a man named Gary Seven who was a human raised by aliens, or something like that. The pilot aired as an episode of "STAR TREK".

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 02-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #62
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Oh yeah, wasn't there a spin-off of M*A*S*H that never went anywhere? I believe it was supposed to be on "Radar" and was called W*A*L*T*E*R. I think only the pilot was made.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #63
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

I'm sure someone has mentioned "The Metzes" which would've happened if Vivian Vance wasn't such an evil stubborn bitter woman.

She WAS evil because she celebrated once she heard William Frawley died and that's just sickening. There was no reason to hate him since he was an actor just like she was so she should've never held such ill will towards him.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #64
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
There have been proposed spinoffs for many shows. The following are spinoffs that were planned or had one pilot but never materialized after that. Which ones would you have loved to have seen get a chance? If you know of any others please let me know.

1. Jackie(jackee')- the spinoff from the sitcom 227, starring Jackie from Sister, Sister fame.

2. Nick - the spinoff from Family Ties, starring Nick the boyfriend of Mallory. The premise is he moves to NY with his sister.

3. The Facts of Life actually had 3 spinoffs planned and nothing really materialized.
a.) a spinoff featuring Jo's cousins
b.) a spinoff where Natalie moves to NY to become a writer
c.) a spinoff where Blair buys Eastland school and becomes headmaster. That spinoff had Seth Green, Juliet Lewis and the future star of Blossom( I forget her name)

I know there were several others, however, I can't think of them off the top of my head.

HOW do you know these spinoffs were planned at all? You have a link for them being planned but never happening?

Nick would've been good IF Mallory was with him. They had a good chemistry together.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #65
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOliver
I remember a couple that never got off the ground on CBS:

In the summer of 1978, I remember reading in a magazine (I think it was US which ran bi-weekly) that the upcoming season of "Rhoda" was going to marry off 'Rhoda's' sister 'Brenda' to 'Benny' and eventually 'spin off' "Brenda" to Connecticuit in early 1979.

Sure enough, Brenda's engagement was written into the storyline of Rhoda's 5th season, but "Rhoda" was cancelled in early December, 1978 - without Brenda's wedding taking place. (Didn't CBS realize 'married' women in MTM productions were not that funny?)

In May, 1986 CBS wanted to spin-off "Julia", a character introduced in one episode of their hit sitcom "Kate and Allie" (which served as the 'pilot').

'Julia' was played by actress Lindsay Wagner; the character was a recently divorced woman who moves back to NYC from LA. She was a full-time drama teacher, and taught cooking classes on the side - which is how she meets her new friends. I remember it was not a funny episode and luckily CBS never followed through with it.
I think the only funny married woman on an MTM-produced show was Emily Hartley (Suzanne Pleshette) of The Bob Newhart Show. Then again, she and Bob were already married when the show began, so what do I know?

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 02-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #66
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
Oh yeah, wasn't there a spin-off of M*A*S*H that never went anywhere? I believe it was supposed to be on "Radar" and was called W*A*L*T*E*R. I think only the pilot was made.

Yes, and it was shown one time in the summer of 1984.

Back in those days, if a pilot didn't sell, they often would show them during the summer as "specials."

The W*A*L*T*E*R pilot is on You tube. He played a rookie cop, of all things.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #67
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

yea, "W*A*LT*E*R" was only shown once, but only in a couple parts of the country. It was set a year after he guest-starred on "AFTER MASH". Clips from it and info. are on the site bestcareanywhere.net
Old 02-04-2009, 03:18 AM   #68
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
Yes, and it was shown one time in the summer of 1984.

Back in those days, if a pilot didn't sell, they often would show them during the summer as "specials."

The W*A*L*T*E*R pilot is on You tube. He played a rookie cop, of all things.

I don't really know much about W*A*L*T*E*R. What do you think was the downfall... or lack of interest in this?

Also, was this made before or after the spin-off AfterMASH? While that one wasn't successful either it ran for 2 seasons.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #69
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

I think it was made at the same time, and it was made in 1986 not 84 (I think).
Old 02-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #70
OOliver
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
I think the only funny married woman on an MTM-produced show was Emily Hartley (Suzanne Pleshette) of The Bob Newhart Show. Then again, she and Bob were already married when the show began, so what do I know?

You're right!

You would think that the writers would have learned their lesson when they married off Rhoda, and then quickly 'divorced' her. The Morgenstern sisters were much funnier as single ladies, not married women. I realize the storyline for Brenda was going nowhere, so marriage was the next step. However, how funny was she and Benny together - funny enough to carry their own show? Or would Brenda become the new Rhoda (who became the new Mary on her own show) and have a single frumpy neighbor to mentor as her best friend? Would the audience have had to rely on 'guest turns' from 'Rhoda' and 'Ida' every few weeks to make them laugh?

I guess, in a way, I'm kind of glad we were left 'hanging' with Brenda's engagement.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #71
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
I think it was made at the same time, and it was made in 1986 not 84 (I think).

It aired in the summer of 1984. I remember watching it.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #72
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
You're right!

You would think that the writers would have learned their lesson when they married off Rhoda, and then quickly 'divorced' her. The Morgenstern sisters were much funnier as single ladies, not married women. I realize the storyline for Brenda was going nowhere, so marriage was the next step. However, how funny was she and Benny together - funny enough to carry their own show? Or would Brenda become the new Rhoda (who became the new Mary on her own show) and have a single frumpy neighbor to mentor as her best friend? Would the audience have had to rely on 'guest turns' from 'Rhoda' and 'Ida' every few weeks to make them laugh?

I guess, in a way, I'm kind of glad we were left 'hanging' with Brenda's engagement.
You're right - we'll never know what could've happened.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #73
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
You're right!

Brenda ended up going into the witness protection program. She now lives in Springfield.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #74
OOliver
Forum Regular

Two other shows - one from nearly forty years ago, one from a few days ago - that never made it as a 'spin-off'.

From nearly 40 years ago...
I've been reading a Fred MacMurray biography, and in it there's a mention that "Robbie, Katie and the triplets" were to be spun-off from "My Three Sons" in the tenth season.

An episode was devoted to just them in May, 1970 (the young couple dealing with their newborns) to serve as the pilot, but CBS decided against giving them their own show in the Fall. The clan stuck around with MacMurray and the others until the show went off the air in 1972, which was their twelfth season.

From a few nights ago...
Many TV viewers were wondering why NBC stuck an episode of 'The Office' on right after the Superbowl this past Sunday night. Everyone knows that this is considered the best slot of the TV season (with millions of viewers hanging on to watch), and usually a network launches a new show in this slot.

Turns out, NBC had big plans to launch an "Office" spin-off...but plans for the spin-off were abruptly cut short, which left NBC with no other choice but to stick an ep of "The Office" in it's place.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #75
OOliver
Forum Regular

Whoops! After a little more research, I stand corrected on the above post regarding "My Three Sons"!

The pilot aired in March, 1971 with the spin-off scheduled for September, 1971 (the twelfth season). The show was tentatively titled "After The Honeymoon" which was to focus on Rob and Katie's life with the triplets, in their own home away from the Douglas' brood to help out. The pilot itslef was about the couple finding a place to live with their three sons in their new city (I believe the storyline was that Robbie's job forced them to move away).

CBS didn't pick up the series for the upcoming season (1971-72) and Don Grady (Robbie) and Tina Cole (Katie) did NOT return for the twelfth season on 'My Three Sons', since they were written out the previous season.

Sorry for any confusion!