Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-19-2002, 01:33 PM   #31
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Default Re: Re: spinoffs that never happened!

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLOMON
Now that's news-i never that Jackee was a possible spinoff from 227

Yes, as a matter of fact, they filmed a couple of episodes, but it never caught on with the network. I remember seeing the pilot on NBC and remembering it wasn't all that bad.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:43 PM   #32
baronzzz
Frequent Poster

I have the Jackee pilot on tape. But when I pulled it out to view it, I realized the tape is broken. The tape rewound all the way back and broke off!
I may try to fix it and report back. As I remember though she moved to Manhattan and went to work at a men's and women's gym. She had a roommate who was trying to break into Broadway.
And I remember it being good also. Sandra Clarke was just a great character!
Old 09-19-2002, 06:51 PM   #33
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by baronzzz
I have the Jackee pilot on tape. But when I pulled it out to view it, I realized the tape is broken. The tape rewound all the way back and broke off!
I may try to fix it and report back. As I remember though she moved to Manhattan and went to work at a men's and women's gym. She had a roommate who was trying to break into Broadway.
And I remember it being good also. Sandra Clarke was just a great character!

How long did that show last?
Old 09-19-2002, 06:57 PM   #34
baronzzz
Frequent Poster

As I remember, it was a pilot that was not picked up. So I think only one episode.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:23 PM   #35
Jason3fc
Occasional Poster
bacon burger dawgs

Default Star Trek had a spin off to another show that wasnt star trek

I know its not a sitcom, but the original Star Trek back in the 60's had a show that was intended as a spin off to a totally new show that took place in modern (then) times.

The pilot was the episode Assignment:Earth and it included a guy from the 60s named Gary Seven who was taken by aliens in the 60s and made a super human and put back on earth to save earth from its dumb decisions. It even had a very flaky Terri Garr as his assistant on earth.

It is so obvious it is a spin off, and the way they worked it into the ST universe was totally dorky, and just didnt work.

Well the show didnt either.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:42 PM   #36
TJL
Forum Veteran
Suburbanite Extrordinaire

Default Re: Star Trek had a spin off to another show that wasnt star trek

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason3fc

The pilot was the episode Assignment:Earth and it included a guy from the 60s named Gary Seven who was taken by aliens in the 60s and made a super human and put back on earth to save earth from its dumb decisions.

It is so obvious it is a spin off, and the way they worked it into the ST universe was totally dorky, and just didnt work.

Oh, c'mon! That was a classic!
Old 10-03-2002, 06:27 PM   #37
Jason3fc
Occasional Poster
bacon burger dawgs

Ok, ok the show on its own was ok, but they should have just piloted it on its own aside from Star Trek I think.

I actually did think Gary and his cat were cool.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:48 PM   #38
callmetootie

Send a message via AIM to callmetootie

What I don't understand is why Checking In had to be cancelled. I was the pilot and 3rd episode at a TV place in NYC, and it was excellent. I also looked in the Neilson Ratings archive, and the show debuted at a strong #12, but then fell in the 30's and 40's. I also don't unstand the hilarious show Oh Madeline's cancellation...because it was a minor-hit in the ratings and was just so great...it ranked at #33 in the end. Gloria was an OK show that should have probably gotten another season...but I think by then, the AITF writers didn't know what was funny and what wasn't. And the biggest one of all....KRISTIN. As a friend of Kirstin Chenoweth, I was cheering her on with this super-funny sitcom...which didn't get ANY chance at all to succeed. She was so heartbroken, I bought her flowers.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:01 PM   #39
jerry allen
Frequent Poster

Red face

i couldn't believe that "Jackee" wasn't listed in my TV show source book! i remember watching the show on Saturday nights after "227". it was on for a few weeks but it never caught on. Jackee's "Sandra" character just wasn't a great thing for a 30 minute show. you know what i mean? the character was hilarious as a side-kick but it would become annoying if the character was the focal point. the same can be said for the Steve Urkel character. if you built a show around a one dimentional caricature like that the novelty would wear off quickly. some wacky characters just aren't wacky without the proper straight-men/women to bounce off of.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:01 AM   #40
Jason3fc
Occasional Poster
bacon burger dawgs

speaking of 227, I can almost swear there was a 227/Amen crossover. I know they were on the same night, maybe thats all it was, but It seems that there was another connection. I dont see it mentioned though.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:18 PM   #41
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry allen
i couldn't believe that "Jackee" wasn't listed in my TV show source book! i remember watching the show on Saturday nights after "227". it was on for a few weeks but it never caught on. Jackee's "Sandra" character just wasn't a great thing for a 30 minute show. you know what i mean? the character was hilarious as a side-kick but it would become annoying if the character was the focal point. the same can be said for the Steve Urkel character. if you built a show around a one dimentional caricature like that the novelty would wear off quickly. some wacky characters just aren't wacky without the proper straight-men/women to bounce off of.

Her character did change from what she used to be on 227. She became much more mature and responsible. The problem was there was no longer a good hearted character like Marla Gibbs' character for Sondra to play off of.

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 10-11-2002, 04:07 PM   #42
D-Dey
Win The War!

Default Re: Star Trek had a spin off to another show that wasnt star trek

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason3fc
I know its not a sitcom, but the original Star Trek back in the 60's had a show that was intended as a spin off to a totally new show that took place in modern (then) times.

The pilot was the episode Assignment:Earth and it included a guy from the 60s named Gary Seven who was taken by aliens in the 60s and made a super human and put back on earth to save earth from its dumb decisions. It even had a very flaky Terri Garr as his assistant on earth.

I remember that, and Teri Garr was a babe in that one.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:29 AM   #43
Du Mont
Forum Regular

Thought Spin-offs that never happened...through the decades!

This topic intrigued me...so many shows that might have, but never were. Here are a few that came to mind.

On ‘The Twilight Zone’, the “Mr. Bevis” episode was intended as a pilot for a spinoff series, but when the targeted casting (Mr. Burgess Meredith) failed to fall into place, it was just filmed as a regular episode. Then the concept of this ‘pilot’ was extended into the “Cavender is Coming” episode (guest starring Miss Carol Burnett), which may have been a second try to craft a spinoff as a straight out comedy featuring a funny angel...if this had been picked up, we might not have had 'The Carol Burnett Show' instead.

After the tragic death of Mr. George Reeve, the producers of ‘The Adventures of Superman’ filmed a pilot called ‘The Adventures of Superboy’ that would have focused on Superman as a boy (a la ‘Smallville’ or the syndicated ‘Superboy’ series). The pilot was never aired, not picked up, and largely forgotten until the WB created ‘Smallville’, and there was an ensuing legal skirmish over ownership of the copyrights to the Superboy character.

‘Batgirl’ was originally filmed as a short pilot presentation for a ‘Batman’ spinoff that was not picked up, and the Batgirl character was then folded into the ‘Batman’ series for its final season.

The final two episodes of ‘Green Acres’, “Hawaiian Honeymoon” and “The Ex-Secretary”, were both filmed as spin-off pilots to create new non-rural-based extension series.

A 'Charlies Angel’s' spinoff called '_____ Devils' was proposed that would flip the concept of the source show by having a detective agency headed by a woman with good-looking young male detectives. I'm not sure if it was ever filmed or not.

‘Starsky & Hutch’ attempted a spin-off centred on the 'Huggy Bear' character working with a private detective.

‘The Bionic Boy’ was filmed as a 2-hour episode intended as a spin-off from ‘The Six Million Dollar Man’ where Mr. Vincent Van Patten plays the boy outfitted with bionic parts. It was probably too much bionic for ABC at the time, as it came only a year after the network launched ‘The Bionic Woman’ series.

A pilot for ‘The Greatest American Heroine’ was filmed as a spin-off from ‘The Greatest American Hero’, but it wasn’t picked up by ABC. I understand the pilot can be found on the DVD set.

There was supposed to be a ‘Gilmore Girls’ spin-off starring the 'Jesse' character transplanted to California (a la ‘Private Practice’), and it was tried out for an episode, but never proceeded to series.

There was a proposed ‘Charmed Sons’ spin-off from WB’s ‘Charmed’ that sat on the back-burner a long time and was never filmed.

‘Cherry Hill’ was a pilot concept from ‘Prison Break’ that was supposed to be about women behind bars, but I don’t think it went beyond presentation stage.

“Dawn Budge" starring Miss Rosie O’Donnell was an episode filmed as a potential pilot for a spin-off from ‘F/X’, and her character came back in several additional episodes.

‘Smallville’ has had two spin-off pilots that are theoretically still in play. ‘Aquaman’, which was based on a character first introduced on ‘Smallville’ but then re-cast at pilot with the actor who now plays the Green Arrow. Currently, I’ve heard that a ‘Green Arrow’ spin-off is under consideration by The CW as a potential ‘Smallville’ extension series.

‘The It Girl’ has been talked about as a ‘Gossip Girl’ spinoff.

Although some decry the spin-off as a creatively bankrupt, I think they are an ideal way to expand a set of characters and take them in new directions. So many spin-offs have been brilliant executions...'Frasier' and 'Maude' both come to mind.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:49 AM   #44
MikeL
Mike Lutton Dvd Legond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason3fc
speaking of 227, I can almost swear there was a 227/Amen crossover. I know they were on the same night, maybe thats all it was, but It seems that there was another connection. I dont see it mentioned though.

kind of sherman hemesly appeared on 227 as a differnt charactor they wanted him to be deacon fye but he wanted be someone else hope it helps
Old 01-04-2009, 03:16 AM   #45
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMont Demo
This topic intrigued me...so many shows that might have, but never were. Here are a few that came to mind.

On ‘The Twilight Zone’, the “Mr. Bevis” episode was intended as a pilot for a spinoff series, but when the targeted casting (Mr. Burgess Meredith) failed to fall into place, it was just filmed as a regular episode. Then the concept of this ‘pilot’ was extended into the “Cavender is Coming” episode (guest starring Miss Carol Burnett), which may have been a second try to craft a spinoff as a straight out comedy featuring a funny angel...if this had been picked up, we might not have had 'The Carol Burnett Show' instead

Do you have any proof that Burgess Meredith was originally targeted for the the "Mr. Bevis" role? This is the first I've heard about it. "Cavender is Coming" wouldn't have had any affect on The Carol Burnett Show because it was supposed to be a spinoff for Jesse White who as apprentice angel Harmon Cavender would visit Earth each week to try and help some deserving citizen. Carol Burnett's Agnes Grep character was only intended for that one episode.