Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-19-2002, 05:47 PM   #16
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

I really don't remember Horshack getting his own show, but I really think that the Welcome back Kotter creators wanted to spin off Vinnie Barbarino into his own show. I remember they had the set up as Vinnie had his own place, a girlfriend and a job at a hospital. They probably couldn't do a pilot because John Travolta became a movie star with Saturday Night Fever and decided to leave the show. If somebody can confirm this, I would appreciate it a lot.

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 03-19-2002, 06:06 PM   #17
Tiger32
Forum Regular

As far as I know, Travolta was never going to get a spinoff show. He was a star on the big screen before he left Welcome Back Kotter, there was absolutely no way was he going to come back to the small screen. He had 2 back to back smash hits with Saturday Night Fever and Grease.

Last edited by Tiger32 : 03-19-2002 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2002, 04:53 AM   #18
karaokedude
Frequent Poster

I remember the episode of which you speak. Vinnie left school, got a job, etc., but he returned to school at the end of the episode (or was it a 2 parter?).

Travolta was hell-bent on becoming a movie star. He couldn't wait to leave TV.

The "Horshack" pilot aired one Thursday night after "Kotter".
Old 03-22-2002, 09:16 PM   #19
joan davis fan
Frequent Poster

The Emergency !!! spin-off that never took place, saw it today.

Its a part on the actual Emergency, the opening credits and all. Then you see the "extra cast"in their own opening credits. Mark Harmon and Gary Crosby were the only well known stars in the "animal" Emergency.

Instead of paramedics you had a full hour of animal control officers. Surprised this didnt work out.

and Julie London was smoking Salem 100s in the scene where she was watching the animal rescue. I freezed framed it !!
Old 03-23-2002, 12:49 PM   #20
3rdrock
Occasional Poster

Talking

The Nanny also had a spin-off in the works. It would have been called The Chatterbox. The pilot aired as a normal episode of The Nanny. The Chatterbox was the hairdressers that Fran and her maother always went. There was a wannabe actress, a handsome hair stylist, his 12 year old son, the middle aged gay hair dresser and a fiesty oriental manicurist. The show never took off and you can see it sometimes in syndication.
Old 09-14-2002, 01:35 PM   #21
webuster

Smile Who's The Boss

Who's the Boss was meant to have a Spin off called Mona, the episode of Who's The Boss where Mona moves out was going to be used as the pilot, Mona would move to New York and live with Angela's brother or something. But the executives pulled the plug before filming took place, and instead in the next episode of who's the boss mona decided not to move

Married With Children was meant to have a spin off called Kelly- But Christina Applegate didn't want to do it.

Old 09-14-2002, 02:28 PM   #22
TJL
Forum Veteran
Suburbanite Extrordinaire

Default Re: Who's The Boss

Quote:
Originally posted by webuster
Who's the Boss was meant to have a Spin off called Mona, the episode of Who's The Boss where Mona moves out was going to be used as the pilot, Mona would move to New York and live with Angela's brother or something. But the executives pulled the plug before filming took place, and instead in the next episode of who's the boss mona decided not to move

I saw the special on WHo's the Boss on E or some channel the other night. Apparently they did film a complete "Mona" spinoff pilot, with James B. Sikking of "Hill Street Blues" playing her brother. They showed a clip of it, but I don't think it ever aired.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:33 PM   #23
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Call me crazy, but I vaguely remember from my childhood a spinoff of both The 6 million Dollar Man and Woman involving a dog. The 6 Million Dollar Dog!?! I guess the producers tried to squeeze every last penny out of the concept. Anybody remember it???
Old 09-18-2002, 06:25 PM   #24
TJL
Forum Veteran
Suburbanite Extrordinaire

I believe that was just some gimmick they used on one episode, I don't think they ever intended to do a spinoff..

A bionic dog.

I wonder if he was paper trained, or did he just leave little batteries all over the floor.

Old 09-18-2002, 06:52 PM   #25
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Default Re: Re: Who's The Boss

LOL
Old 09-18-2002, 11:23 PM   #26
Sitcomwriter
Banned!!
Banned!!

Send a message via ICQ to Sitcomwriter Send a message via AIM to Sitcomwriter Send a message via Yahoo to Sitcomwriter

A few years back Seinfeld said that he was in talks with NBC for there to be a spinoff of his hit series Seinfeld starring Philip Morris reprising his role as Jackie Chiles.The show was supposed to be called "The Jackie Chiles Show".Sadly that was 2000 and nothing has come out of it
Old 09-18-2002, 11:30 PM   #27
baronzzz
Frequent Poster

The spin-off that upsets me the most is "The Ropers". I liked the show but when it ended after its brief run, I dont think the Ropers were never invited back to Three's Company.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:42 AM   #28
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Re: spinoffs that never happened!

Quote:
Originally posted by briandamage
There have been proposed spinoffs for many shows. The following are spinoffs that were planned or had one pilot but never materialized after that. Which ones would you have loved to have seen get a chance? If you know of any others please let me know.

1. Jackie(jackee')- the spinoff from the sitcom 227, starring Jackie from Sister, Sister fame.

2. Nick - the spinoff from Family Ties, starring Nick the boyfriend of Mallory. The premise is he moves to NY with his sister.

3. The Facts of Life actually had 3 spinoffs planned and nothing really materialized.
a.) a spinoff featuring Jo's cousins
b.) a spinoff where Natalie moves to NY to become a writer
c.) a spinoff where Blair buys Eastland school and becomes headmaster. That spinoff had Seth Green, Juliet Lewis and the future star of Blossom( I forget her name)

I know there were several others, however, I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Now that's news-i never that Jackee was a possible spinoff from 227
Old 09-19-2002, 09:31 AM   #29
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

There was also "Kick it with the Fly Girls" an "In Living Color Spinoff"
Old 09-19-2002, 11:14 AM   #30
dlemond
Hey, I know you.

Quote:
Originally posted by ThomasE
There was also "Kick it with the Fly Girls" an "In Living Color Spinoff"

Oh man, that is too sad for words.