Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon
Sundance Gets Original Series for VOD; GSN Gets Thanksgiving Marathons
Antenna TV January 2018 Schedule Includes Gimme a Break! and Coach; Pop Launches Wednesday Comedies in January
The Detour Back on TBS in January; I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke Show Christmas on CBS
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 13, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Louie (and Other Projects with Louis C.K.) Cancelled; CBS Colorizing More Dick Van Dyke Episodes; More Diff'rent Strokes DVDs

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #16
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
Richie and Ralph did not leave to join the army at the end of season seven. It happened off-camera before season 8.

And I beg to differ about the last season's version of the theme song: I hated it. The vocalist was annoying and the fact that they changed the sequence as well I didn't like either. It doesn't match with the other seasons.

Happy Days became a different show once season 8 began. It wasn't the same show that many of us had grown up with. It lacked the spark of the Richie/Fonz relationship and the replacement characters were poor substitutes.

I wish they had graduated at the end of season seven and that was the end of it. HD really went downhill (IMO) from season eight onward.

How did season 7 end?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #17
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

I'm going to continue to say that I enjoyed all 11 seasons. tThe last 4 were not as good as the Richie seasons but it was far better than the later seasons of L & S.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #18
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
I'm going to continue to say that I enjoyed all 11 seasons. tThe last 4 were not as good as the Richie seasons but it was far better than the later seasons of L & S.

Yeah I agree, season 7 and 8 of L&S was awful

I will take the Post Richie eps over those any day
Old 11-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #19
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
How did season 7 end?

I think it was the episode where Ralph's parents decide to get a divorce. It wasn't the last episode filmed, because it took place in the original Arnold's before it burned down, so it was definitely aired out of sequence.

There was no dramatic ending or life-changing event -- nothing to indicate Richie and Ralph would be leaving soon, that's for sure.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #20
MikeL
Mike Lutton Dvd Legond!

Quote:
I think it was the episode where Ralph's parents decide to get a divorce. It wasn't the last episode filmed, because it took place in the original Arnold's before it burned down, so it was definitely aired out of sequence.

There was no dramatic ending or life-changing event -- nothing to indicate Richie and Ralph would be leaving soon, that's for sure.

i thought it was one when they went to chicago for a father n son trip
Old 03-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #21
Joe M. Davis
Frequent Poster

It certainly felt like a different show after Richie and Ralph were gone. The ones focusing on Fonzie were usually pretty good, IMO. But the Joannie-Chachi thing (especially during that last season) got a tad annoying.

Mr. and Mrs. C were thankfully still a large part of the show, and Al (and for a brief period, Arnold) still had fun moments.

Though poor Potsie had practically nothing to do. With Richie and (especially) Ralph gone, Potsie didn't really have anyone to play off of. Basically, his only reason for being there in the final seasons was to play dumb. In fact, he was only in four episodes during the tenth season.

Then there was Lori Beth. As a main cast member, her presence seemed rather pointless (especially with Richie gone). Thankfully, that only lasted for two seasons.

As for the new characters, Jenny was a funny addition (though I think I preferred her in smaller doses). Roger felt a little wimpy. Eugene and Melvin Belvin were nerdier than Potsie and Ralph.

Chachi's friends Bobby and Tommy felt like attempts to fill the void left by the Richie-Ralph-Potise friendship. Bobby was kind of funny; Tommy was never really given much to do other than play straight man, so I can't really say anything about him.

K.C. Cunnigham grew on me, but I still feel she was a rather weak character. Same goes for Flip. Don't really remember much about Ashley and Heather.

As for the seasons themselves, I have to agree that the last one was probably the best of the four. There were several episodes that felt almost like classic ones. And of course we can't forget the return of Richie Ralph. I think that two part episode would have been a stronger finale than Joannie and Chachi getting married (by the way, where were Potise and Ralph in that episode?).
Old 03-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #22
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

I just can't believe the show still went on for 4 more seasons without Richie and Ralph
Old 03-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #23
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Quote:
I just can't believe the show still went on for 4 more seasons without Richie and Ralph
You gotta milk that cash cow until she is bone dry! That's what they do!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #24
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:

You and me both.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #25
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
You and me both.

I think it was different on network TV because u had no idea what to expect.

When we watch those seasons in syndication we know that those eps are stale which is why I can't watch the show anymore.

I only can watch seasons 3 to 6
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #26
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
I think it was different on network TV because u had no idea what to expect.

When we watch those seasons in syndication we know that those eps are stale which is why I can't watch the show anymore.

I only can watch seasons 3 to 6

I agree, but I can watch seasons 1 and 7 as well. I think Anson Williams summed it up best when he said that after Ron Howard and Donny Most left, the magic was gone.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #27
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

I'm a huge fan of Linda Purl (Ashley), so I'm extremely glad she got into a substantial recurring role, as opposed to her early work on the series (as Gloria).

For that reason I'm biased in favor of what was done with Winkler's character. But I will say that on this site's boards in general, there seems to be no love lost for Winkler's work on HD -- so I'm not surprised that any changes to the character of The Fonz are met with disinterest, opposition, etc. (If there had been no change, the black leather jacket wouldn't have come on to replace the light blue cloth one...!)

On any longrunning series, actors' appearances do change -- and that extends to wardrobe as well. Some here seem to think that The Fonz should have worn motorcycle boots/black leather jacket/white t-shirt regardless of the scene or occasion...! And as far as the motorcycle, its later absence is no surprise -- Winkler wasn't fond of bikes at all!! A few of cast members actually improved on their looks -- Marion Ross and Lynda Goodfriend in particular.

Whenever you have a series that ran for more than a few series, people tend to focus almost exclusively on the negatives of later years. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather "study" Linda Purl and Lynda Goodfriend than Ron Howard or Don Most any day!! (lol)

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
Old 03-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #28
Polka Dot Ron
Occasional Poster

One main point was that Happy Days was given respect in its later days - I defy anyone to come up with a sitcom that ended the way this one did, with tying up characters, bringing in new ones based on show elements, etc.

Although some of it was a bit of a stretch - "Cousin KC," anyone? - it was done fairly well.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #29
JMFabiano524
Forum Regular

I have to listen to the last version of the theme song, but I DID like the "morphing" scenes in the opening.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #30
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polka Dot Ron
One main point was that Happy Days was given respect in its later days - I defy anyone to come up with a sitcom that ended the way this one did, with tying up characters, bringing in new ones based on show elements, etc.

Although some of it was a bit of a stretch - "Cousin KC," anyone? - it was done fairly well.

No disrespect intended, but that to me was HD's undoing. IMO, the newer characters were weaker versions of the previous ones. Roger was a poor substitute for Richie.

M*A*S*H showed that you could replace characters with new ones who were different from their predecessors and still be a great show.

The weak replacement characters made me realize even more how much Ron Howard and Donny Most meant to the show and made me more nostalgic for the early years.