Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

I Love Lucy (Sitcoms Online) / I Love Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / I Love Lucy Photo Gallery

I Love Lucy - The Complete First Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete First Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Second Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Second Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Third Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Third Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Seventh-Ninth Seasons (The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour)

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Seventh-Ninth Seasons on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD
I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 1 (Blu-ray)

Buy I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 1 on Blu-ray
I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 2 (Blu-ray)

Buy I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 2 on Blu-ray

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > I Love Lucy
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV Acquires Will & Grace; Spike TV Turns to Paramount Network on Jan. 18, 2018
CBS Fall Pilot Reviews: Young Sheldon and Me, Myself & I, Both Premiere Tonight (Sep. 25)
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 25, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Reboot Casts David and Darlene's Daughter; The CW Developing New Series Based Upon Sabrina Character
Fri-Yay: The Good Place's Season Premiere; FXX to Air All Season One Episodes of The Mick on September 23
Hulu Gets Will & Grace Fever; New Netflix Comedy Has Girl Power
Rules of Engagement Coming to Logo; Younger Season 4 Sets Series Best

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

Father Knows Best - Season Six Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Sixth Season Alice - The Complete Fifth Season Rhoda - Season Four Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four

08/01 - Alice - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
08/01 - Crashing - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
08/15 - Rhoda - Season Four
08/22 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four
08/29 - Will & Grace - Season One (Universal)
09/01 - Angie - The Complete Collection
09/05 - Just Shoot Me! - The Complete Series
09/05 - Kevin Can Wait - Season One
09/06 - Better Things - The Complete First Season
09/06 - You're the Worst - The Complete Third Season
09/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/12 - Coach - The Complete Series
09/12 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Third Season
09/12 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Fourth Season
09/12 - People of Earth - The Complete First Season
09/12 - Veep - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
09/19 - Living Single - The Complete Second Season
09/19 - Modern Family - The Complete Eighth Season
09/26 - Ned and Stacey - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Unhappy Doris Singleton [Carolyn Appleby] 1919-2012

Actress and comedienne Doris Singleton Isaacs, who recurred on "I Love Lucy" as Lucy's near-sighted neighbor and sometimes nemesis Carolyn Appleby, died Tuesday. She was 92.

Singleton guested in a large number of both comedies and dramas during her 30-plus career in television.

After performing as a featured dancer with the American Ballet Theater in her teens, the Brooklyn-born Dorthea Singleton began in showbiz as a vocalist with Art Jarrett's orchestra in the late 1930s. Her distinctive voice led to a career in radio, where she was an actress on "The Whistler" and other shows during WWII, performing at times with the likes of George Burns & Gracie Allens, Bob Hope and Jack Benny.

Singleton met Lucille Ball in the late 1940s during a performance of the radio show "My Favorite Husband"; a few years later, Ball invited Singleton to join the cast of TV's "I Love Lucy" as Carolyn Appleby. Singleton appeared on 10 episodes of the show from 1953 to 1957.

By the mid-1950s the actress was busy with TV guest appearances on programs including "Adventures of Superman," "The Loretta Young Show," "The Great Gildersleeve," "The Bob Hope Show" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents."

Singleton also appeared in a few feature films during the 1950s: "Terror at Midnight," "Affair in Reno" and "Voice in the Mirror."

She was a series regular on the brief 1960 series "Angel," recurred on "My Three Sons" as Margaret Williams and guested on "The Munsters," "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C." during the decade; she also returned to work with Ball on episodes of "The Lucy Show" and "Here's Lucy" as well as the 1980 telepic "Lucy Moves to NBC," and she made appearances on dramas including "Gunsmoke," "Twilight Zone," "The Fugitive" and "The F.B.I."

Her credits during the 1970s included "All in the Family," "Marcus Welby, M.D.," "Phyllis" and the daytime soap "Days of Our Lives." Singleton made one of her last appearances in a 1982 episode of "Dynasty."

Singleton also appeared as an interviewee in the "American Masters" documentary "Finding Lucy" in 2000 and in an "E! True Hollywood Story" episode devoted to "I Love Lucy" in 2005.

Singleton's husband Charles Isaacs, a comedy writer, director and producer to whom she was married for 61 years, died in 2002.

Actress and comedienne Doris Singleton Isaacs, who recurred on "I Love Lucy" as Lucy's near-sighted neighbor and sometimes nemesis Carolyn Appleby, died Tuesday. She was 92.

Singleton guested in a large number of both comedies and dramas during her 30-plus career in television.

After performing as a featured dancer with the American Ballet Theater in her teens, the Brooklyn-born Dorthea Singleton began in showbiz as a vocalist with Art Jarrett's orchestra in the late 1930s. Her distinctive voice led to a career in radio, where she was an actress on "The Whistler" and other shows during WWII, performing at times with the likes of George Burns & Gracie Allens, Bob Hope and Jack Benny.

Singleton met Lucille Ball in the late 1940s during a performance of the radio show "My Favorite Husband"; a few years later, Ball invited Singleton to join the cast of TV's "I Love Lucy" as Carolyn Appleby. Singleton appeared on 10 episodes of the show from 1953 to 1957.

By the mid-1950s the actress was busy with TV guest appearances on programs including "Adventures of Superman," "The Loretta Young Show," "The Great Gildersleeve," "The Bob Hope Show" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents."

Singleton also appeared in a few feature films during the 1950s: "Terror at Midnight," "Affair in Reno" and "Voice in the Mirror."

She was a series regular on the brief 1960 series "Angel," recurred on "My Three Sons" as Margaret Williams and guested on "The Munsters," "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C." during the decade; she also returned to work with Ball on episodes of "The Lucy Show" and "Here's Lucy" as well as the 1980 telepic "Lucy Moves to NBC," and she made appearances on dramas including "Gunsmoke," "Twilight Zone," "The Fugitive" and "The F.B.I."

Her credits during the 1970s included "All in the Family," "Marcus Welby, M.D.," "Phyllis" and the daytime soap "Days of Our Lives." Singleton made one of her last appearances in a 1982 episode of "Dynasty."

Singleton also appeared as an interviewee in the "American Masters" documentary "Finding Lucy" in 2000 and in an "E! True Hollywood Story" episode devoted to "I Love Lucy" in 2005.

Singleton's husband Charles Isaacs, a comedy writer, director and producer to whom she was married for 61 years, died in 2002.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056028

Last edited by Zoneboy : 06-27-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
HuntingtonM15
Forum Veteran
#bestpicture

This is sad news. She seemed really appreciative of the Carolyn Appleby character, and was great at responding to fan mail.

May she
Old 06-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Unhappy

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 06-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

I'm glad that Doris lived a long life. She was a beautiful lady and contributed well to some of my favorite series.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
Old 06-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
sabrelucynut
Frequent Poster
sabrelucynut

Doris will be greatly missed. She was very accomodating when I met her twice at both the Lucy convention in Burbank and then most recently in Jamestown with her tv son.

Janice

Lover of classic TV
Old 06-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
old grouch

Carolyn Applebee was the perfect rival for Lucy Ricardo. RIP Doris.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Unhappy

Doris Singleton

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
rollo's girl
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grouch
Carolyn Applebee was the perfect rival for Lucy Ricardo. RIP Doris.
you are so right! I loved to see them try to one-up each other. I especially liked the episode where Lucy gave Carolyn a new sweater and purse as a bribe for her vote at the Tuesday Afternoon Fine Arts League club meeting. Her character added so much to the episodes she was in. RIP, Ms. Singleton. Job well done.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

Many of these stars had long careers in Tv. It always fun to see the actor guest starring in a many different shows. One night saw Doris in Dick Van Dyke episode. She never was a star in leading role but it seems she did just fine guest starring. No pressure and just enough exposure .
Old 08-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
AB
Forum Celebrity
The Orville

Rest in Peace.