Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites
ION Television Gets Festive for Holidays; USA Schedules Psych: The Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
Let me ask, why did they go with Laverne & Shirley & Company?

Because L&S was still on the air when it went into syndication so they had to create a seperate title
Old 06-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #17
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Because they wanted to differentiate from the still-in-first-run episodes that were airing on the network, I guess.

Personally, I never understood retitling for that reason, but whatever...
Old 07-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #18
ILUVO&H
Forum Regular

I thought I read someplace something about that the reason for the name change for the reruns was because the Network, ABC, was the one running the reruns of the series. They ran them on Saturday afternoons. So it wasn't changing the name just because it was in syndication on some local station but because the actual network that aired the original shows were also running reruns every Saturday.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #19
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVO&H
I thought I read someplace something about that the reason for the name change for the reruns was because the Network, ABC, was the one running the reruns of the series. They ran them on Saturday afternoons. So it wasn't changing the name just because it was in syndication on some local station but because the actual network that aired the original shows were also running reruns every Saturday.

Nope. ABC was showing reruns while new episodes aired in prime time, but they were on weekday mornings at 11AM with no name change.

But ABC replaced them with Laverne & Shirley reruns in early 1979, probably because HD would be going into syndication that fall.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #20
Loves Old Tv
Frequent Poster

I know that this is an old thread, so in case anyone is still following it, here goes.

Renaming shows that were syndicated to local markets while the show was still airing new episodes on network TV was a common practice from the 1950s to early 1980s--essentially the pre-cable era. The reasoning behind this practice was to distinguish the older episodes of the show from the current network run. Networks were concerned that viewers would confuse the two. This seems quaint now, but it was a real concern at the time. People who frequent TV message boards today are--and were, if they were around at the time that this was done--are not thought to be typical casual viewers. They were and are a bit more sophisticated than casual viewers. In the cable area, my father, rest his soul, never could quite understand the difference between the then-current and first-run episodes of comedies such as Everybody Loves Raymond or drams such as NCIS. So the method had some merit to it.

Not all shows did it. M*A*S*H and Three's Company are examples of 1970s shows that chose not to do it. In fact, they set the stage for the cessation of the practice. But here is a short listing of but a few shows that did follow the convention of renaming.

Dragnet--->Badge 714
You Bet Your Life--->Best of Groucho
Bonanza--->Ponderosa
Gunsmoke--->Marshal Dillon
I Love Lucy--->Sunday Lucy Show and also Lucy in Connecticut
Andy Griffith Show-->Andy of Mayberry
Emergency--->Emergency One!
Ironside--->Raymond Burr Show
Happy Days--->Happy Days Again
Laverne and Shirley--->Laverne and Shirley and Company
Marcus Welby, MD--->Robert Young, Family Doctor
CHIPS-->CHIPS Patrol

Prior to the late 1970s, popular shows were often rerun by the network itself on its daytime schedule, while new episodes ran in prime time. For example, Brady Bunch, which ran from1969-74 on ABC, was shown in reruns at 11:30 on weekdays on ABC from 1972-1975, under the same name. When it was syndicated to local stations in 1975, the 11:30 weekdays slot was taken over by Happy Days, which had started airing in prime time in January 1974 and continued for a decade. In the fall of 1975, Happy Days was so popular that its first two seasons were continuously rerun on weekdays. This was another rule of network daytime reruns: Never air the current season on the daytime reruns, only past seasons. In the late summer of 1976, ABC did begin airing the current (third) season episodes in the daytime, because in September the fourth season would be underway. Part of why ABC jumped the gun was because Happy Days' first season was not a full one, so there was a limited amount of episodes from the first two seasons.

Both Happy Days and Brady Bunch used their series' true names while on network daytime reruns. But Happy Days, still running in primetime when the show was syndicated in 1979, was re-named Happy Days Again. When the original episodes stopped in 1984, so did the altered syndication title. The show moved to TBS in the late 1980s under its original title.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #21
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

You mention Three's Company as never having a name change, but I thought for a while they were using Three's Company Too in syndication ...?

A few more:

Lassie ---> Jeff's Collie
Hawaii Five-O ---> McGarrett
The Bob Cummings Show ---> Love That Bob

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
Old 06-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #22
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
You mention Three's Company as never having a name change, but I thought for a while they were using Three's Company Too in syndication ...?

A few more:

It was Three's Company and Friends
Old 06-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #23
Loves Old Tv
Frequent Poster

Quote:

A few more:

Yup. I believe that the Three's Company, Too was the Three's a Crowd portion of the Three's Company syndication package. That and at least some of The Ropers were included in the package.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #24
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves Old Tv
Yup. I believe that the Three's Company, Too was the Three's a Crowd portion of the Three's Company syndication package. That and at least some of The Ropers were included in the package.

It wasn't Three's Company Too it was Three's Company and Friends
Old 06-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #25
Loves Old Tv
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
It wasn't Three's Company Too it was Three's Company and Friends
Wikipedia suggests otherwise.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #26
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

I do vaguely remember Three's Company Too in my area. Maybe it wasn't used all over the U.S.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #27
JMFabiano524
Forum Regular

Quote:
I do vaguely remember Three's Company Too in my area. Maybe it wasn't used all over the U.S.

I think this was the syndie name of Three's a Crowd. Where some of the Ropers were "Three's Company's Friends The Ropers" (as if the title of the show was a person)

Back to the original topic, I think L&S kept some of the ABC bumpers ("Hi this is Shirley, me and Laverne will be right back!") when it aired on WLNY.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #28
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves Old Tv
In the fall of 1975, Happy Days was so popular that its first two seasons were continuously rerun on weekdays. This was another rule of network daytime reruns: Never air the current season on the daytime reruns, only past seasons. In the late summer of 1976, ABC did begin airing the current (third) season episodes in the daytime, because in September the fourth season would be underway.

During the early part of summer 1978, ABC began airing then-current fifth season Happy Days shows during the daytime reruns, even though the sixth season had yet to begin.

I remember this, because I was shocked that they were jumping the gun and not waiting until the 6th season began to start airing them in the daytime slot.