Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Here's Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Here's Lucy Photo Gallery

Here's Lucy - Season One

Buy Here's Lucy - Season One on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Two

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Two on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Three

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Three on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Four

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Four on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Five

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Five on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Six

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Six on DVD
Here's Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy Here's Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy Here's Lucy - Best Loved Episodes from the Hit TV Series / Buy Here's Lucy - Best of Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Here's Lucy
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 18, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Disney to Acquire Much of Fox; Roseanne Debut Date Set for ABC
Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #16
Leslie Eckhardt
Banned!!
Banned

Gale Gordon's genius was playing characters bedeviled by the female protaganist of the series in which he appeared. He was equally good in Our Miss Brooks, Pete and Gladys and Dennis The Menace (yeah, I know, Dennis was a kid). I've never failed to laugh at the man's slow burns and double-takes. If the Lucy Carmichael character had been married to him, it would have seemed more like warmed-over I Love Lucy. I would have liked to see some great character actress like Reta Shaw or Madge Blake play Irma, his unseen wife on The Lucy Show. I can just hear one or the other chastising him for somthing. Theodore!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
McGillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Eckhardt
Gale Gordon's genius was playing characters bedeviled by the female protaganist of the series in which he appeared. He was equally good in Our Miss Brooks, Pete and Gladys and Dennis The Menace (yeah, I know, Dennis was a kid). I've never failed to laugh at the man's slow burns and double-takes. If the Lucy Carmichael character had been married to him, it would have seemed more like warmed-over I Love Lucy. I would have liked to see some great character actress like Reta Shaw or Madge Blake play Irma, his unseen wife on The Lucy Show. I can just hear one or the other chastising him for somthing. Theodore!!!

His female protaganist on DTM would be Mrs. Elkins!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #18
Leslie Eckhardt
Banned!!
Banned

Yeah! Irene Tedrow! She'd be great. On Our Miss Brooks, he played high school principal Osgood Conklin, who had a lovely daughter, Harriet, and an occaisionally seen on-screen wife, Martha, played most often by Paula Winslowe. This family surrounding the character tended to make Gale Gordon's portrayal more human-seeming while losing none of the humor. Mrs. Conklin was a very nice, attractive older character that sort-of balanced Osgood's blustery ways. Miss Brooks was undeniably his nemesis however, and all the slow-burns and great double takes were very much in evidence.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #19
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude The Obscure
had been Lucy's husband in this series, instead of her brother-in-law? I mean he basically fulfilled the male figure role in both her life and in the kids' lives. It would have been one way to distinguish this series from The Lucy Show. Casual TV viewers simply think they are once again playing Lucy the secretary and Mr. Mooney the boss anyway. Were they opposed to seeing Lucy and Gale in what would have been somewhat of a romantic setting? It would have been a change in the plotlines for sure

I posted something similar to this on another thread! I liked how they had Uncle Harry as her brother in law and boss, but I was thinking at the end of the series for them to finally get together and get married. All his yelling at her was just because he secretly loved her and thought he couldn't have her.

I liked them together working in the office, but I guess they could have had them married all along, they could have been husband and wife working together. But I still like the idea of them getting together at the end! A good way to close the series!
Old 09-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #20
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdanloveslucy
Oh yeah, Lucy would never do INCEST.

It wouldn't be incest, he was her brother in law, not her brother!!!

If they got married right after Lucy's husband died, that would have been inappropriate. But after a good amount of time if they really loved each other, there would be nothing wrong with a woman marrying her brother in law! IMO!
Old 09-22-2014, 12:19 AM   #21
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniegirl62
It wouldn't be incest, he was her brother in law, not her brother!!!

If they got married right after Lucy's husband died, that would have been inappropriate. But after a good amount of time if they really loved each other, there would be nothing wrong with a woman marrying her brother in law! IMO!

There was an episode in S5 where Lucy starts making a pass at Harry as a way to stall him so he doesn't discover one of her disasters. If she were doing that to anyone else it would have been fine, but watching her make a pass at Harry was kind of creepy.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #22
Crusinforabrusin

Oh God no. The show probably wouldn't have been good if they were married. I am glad that Gale Gordons character was only Lucille's brother in law