Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime
CBS Orders Full Seasons of Sophomore Sitcoms; Desperate Housewives Star Heads to Dynasty
Two and a Half Men Heads to Nick at Nite; WE tv Acquires Criminal Minds

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
The Flying Dutchmans

Default Sylvia Jane Kirby? I wish you'd come back

I know that the country music singer Sylvia who sang "Nobody" has officially retired from performing, but I sure wish she'd make a comeback. I really miss her. She had such stage presence. I felt like I was in music heaven when I watched her. I sure miss you Sylvia.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

I liked her also, is she now divorced? I know her full name was Sylvia Kirby-Allen at the height of her career.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
The Flying Dutchmans

I don't exactly know. Sylvia seems to be keeping her life a secret now. I know she still writes songs but for who, I have no idea.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:44 AM   #4
Tumbleweed1980
Frequent Poster

Music Good News!

I know exactly what you mean. I've been wishing and hoping she'd come back too. Our dreams are actually coming true! Sylvia has attended some country music functions lately, including a Luncheon with many other Country Legends, and on that same day Billboard magazine did an interview with her, although brief, it was really good. She's also recently appeared on a few television shows. Larry's Country Diner, The Joey Canyon Show, and the yet to air, Ray Stevens Nashville show.

In case you're not aware... Sylvia is in the process of recording a NEW album, which is scheduled for a spring 2016 release. It'll be her first new project in about 14 years. I can't wait!!! I've heard her sing half a dozen new awesome songs from it, many of which she co-wrote. I sure hope it sells good so that will allow her to make more future new albums and not have to wait so long between releases.

I plan to update this as soon as I know for sure when the new CD is released and available.

Thank you for reading my post.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #5
Edward216

That's great news, I always really liked her too. I didn't know her middle name was Jane though, LOL. I've always wondered why she chose not to use her last name professionally, I just don't get people doing that. I have a cd of her biggest hits. With the exception of The Matador, which if I remember was Sylvia's first hit song (Or was it Drifter?). I've looked for it as a digital download but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

Ed.

Last edited by Edward216 : 02-25-2016 at 03:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #6
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward216
I have a cd of her biggest hits. With the exception of The Matador, which if I remember was Sylvia's first hit song (Or was it Drifter?). I've looked for it as a digital download but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

Ed.

"Drifter" was her first hit (1981) "The Matador" was the first concept country music video to air on CMT.

Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdquhPeKLjs
Old 02-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #7
Tumbleweed1980
Frequent Poster

Sylvia's first Top 10 was "Tumbleweed", which is the first one I remember hearing on the radio one winter morning in 1980 as my grandma was driving me to school. There was just something about Sylvia's voice and singing style that was meant for my ears on the first listen and all these years later her voice is better than ever!

In a recent interview on The Joey Canyon Show, Sylvia said, something along the lines that if "Tumbleweed" hadn't become a hit, it would have been "three strikes you're out", since her first two singles just barely got into the Top 40. "You Don't Miss a Thing" reaching #36 and "It Don't Hurt to Dream" only one notch higher at #35. So the success of "Tumbleweed" allowed her to record her first album "Drifter", which became her first #1 single, and the rest as they say, is history.

Edward, to answer your question regarding why she didn't use her last name. In a recent interview in Diane Diekman's Country Newsletter Sylvia talked about that very subject. Here's from the interview...

When she signed a record deal with RCA Records, she was asked what name she planned to use. Her married name of Sylvia Allen was too similar to labelmate Deborah Allen, so she suggested her maiden name, Sylvia Kirby. No, that sounds like a vacuum cleaner, she was told. They’re going to make up a name for me, she realized. She couldn’t abide that, and she asked, “How about just Sylvia?” They said okay.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #8
Tumbleweed1980
Frequent Poster

Post Sylvia's Albums...

1. "Drifter" 1981 (RCA)

2. "Just Sylvia" 1982 (RCA)

3. "Snapshot" 1983 (RCA)

4. "Surprise" 1984 (RCA)

5. "One Step Closer" 1985 (RCA)

6. "Knockin' Around" 1986 (unreleased) (RCA)

7. "Greatest Hits" 1987 (RCA)

8. "The Real Story" 1996 (Red Pony)

9. "Anthology" 1997 (Renaissance)

10. "Where in the World" 2002 (Red Pony)

11. "RCA Country Legends" 2002 (RCA/BMG Heritage)

12. "A Cradle in Bethlehem" 2002 (Red Pony)

13. "All American Country" 2007 (Sony/BMG)

14. "Ten Best" 2016 (Enterprise Music)

15. "It's All in the Family" 2016 (Red Pony)

Some interesting stats...

"Drifter" peaked at #10 and was on the Top Country Albums Chart for 34 weeks. Peaked at #139 on the Pop chart.

"Just Sylvia" peaked at #2 for five weeks and was on the chart for 66 weeks. Peaked at #56 on the Pop chart. (Would have been way higher had Soundscan been in charge of the charts back then in my opinion)

"Snapshot" peaked at #7 and was on the chart for 22 weeks. Peaked at #77
on the Pop chart.

"Surprise" peaked at #40 and was on the chart for 13 weeks. Peaked
at #178 on the Pop chart.

"One Step Closer" peaked at #19 and was on the chart for 27 weeks. I'd
say a nice come-back from the low showing of "Surprise".

"Greatest Hits" peaked at #59 and was on the chart for 8 weeks.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tumbleweed1980 : 06-15-2016 at 06:05 PM. Reason: To update the list
Old 02-24-2016, 09:13 PM   #9
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed1980
Sylvia's first Top 10 was "Tumbleweed", which is the first one I remember hearing on the radio one winter morning in 1980 as my grandma was driving me to school. There was just something about Sylvia's voice and singing style that was meant for my ears on the first listen and all these years later her voice is better than ever!

In a recent interview on The Joey Canyon Show, Sylvia said, something along the lines that if "Tumbleweed" hadn't become a hit, it would have been "three strikes you're out", since her first two singles just barely got into the Top 40. "You Don't Miss a Thing" reaching #36 and "It Don't Hurt to Dream" only one notch higher at #35. So the success of "Tumbleweed" allowed her to record her first album "Drifter", which became her first #1 single, and the rest as they say, is history.

Edward, to answer your question regarding why she didn't use her last name. In a recent interview in Diane Diekman's Country Newsletter Sylvia talked about that very subject. Here's from the interview...

When she signed a record deal with RCA Records, she was asked what name she planned to use. Her married name of Sylvia Allen was too similar to labelmate Deborah Allen, so she suggested her maiden name, Sylvia Kirby. No, that sounds like a vacuum cleaner, she was told. They’re going to make up a name for me, she realized. She couldn’t abide that, and she asked, “How about just Sylvia?” They said okay.

I had forgotten all about "Tumbleweed" and my Top Country Singles book by Joel Whitburn confirms it was her first top 10 hit. That excerpt from the interview was interesting. If you have a link to the entire thing then please post it. Interestingly, she wasn't the first Sylvia, there was also the R&B singer of the same name who sang the hit "Pillow Talk."
Old 02-24-2016, 09:25 PM   #10
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity

Music

While "Tumbleweed" may have been her first top 10 single, it wasn't her first hit. That was "You Don't Miss a Thing" which peaked at #36 in 1979.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6M8OOsVviI
Old 02-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #11
Tumbleweed1980
Frequent Poster

Default Sylvia's Billboard Single Releases That Reached the Top 10...‏

1. "Tumbleweed" #10 (1980)

2. "Drifter" #1 (1981)

3. "The Matador" #7 (1981)

4. "Heart On The Mend" #8 (1981)

5. "Nobody" #1 (#15 Pop) (1982)

6. "Like Nothing Ever Happened" #2 (2 weeks) (1982-83)

7. "Snapshot" #5 (1983)

8. "I Never Quite Got Back (From Loving You)" #3 (1983-84)

9. "Fallin' In Love" #2 (2 weeks) (1985)

10. "Cry Just A Little Bit" #9 (2 weeks) (1985)

11. "I Love You By Heart" (Duet w/ Michael Johnson) #9 (1985-86)
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2016, 09:44 PM   #12
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity

Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed1980

10. "Cry Just A Little Bit" #9 (2 weeks) (1985)

She did a great cover of that song, here's the original by Shakin' Stevens then Sylvia's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAKSjXninkc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIOcibVEGHQ
Old 02-24-2016, 10:23 PM   #13
Tumbleweed1980
Frequent Poster

Default At Your Request & I'm Happy to Share...

Diane’s Country Music Newsletter — 26 August 2015

FEATURED ARTIST – SYLVIA HUTTON
Sylvia had eleven top-ten Billboard hits from 1980-1985, including “Snapshot” and the number one “Nobody.” I hadn’t heard anything about her in years, until Diane Jordan mentioned on Facebook they’d recently had lunch together. I asked Diane to put me in touch with Sylvia, and that led to an enjoyable phone conversation. Sylvia Hutton has built an additional career as a personal & professional development coach.

“From the time I was three, I thought of myself as a singer and knew I was going to have a life in music, somehow, some way,” she says. She moved to Nashville right out of high school, almost forty years ago. When she signed a record deal with RCA Records, she was asked what name she planned to use. Her married name of Sylvia Allen was too similar to labelmate Deborah Allen, so she suggested her maiden name, Sylvia Kirby. No, that sounds like a vacuum cleaner, she was told. They’re going to make up a name for me, she realized. She couldn’t abide that, and she asked, “How about just Sylvia?” They said okay.

After the hits dried up, Sylvia tried songwriting for awhile. She started her own record label, Red Pony Records, and made an independent record. When she took it around to record labels in 1996, “there was absolutely no interest,” she says. “I realized that was not the road life wanted to take me down now. I didn’t know what was next. I was kind of at an impasse. It felt like I hit a dead end.”

She took a battery of tests to measure her interests. Not surprisingly, she was told she should be in the creative arts. However, it did surprise her to learn she had an almost equal interest in service to others. The interviewer asked if she had any idea what she wanted to be, if not in music. Sylvia remembered when she was learning about the music business, thinking how great it would be if she could have the knowledge of those who went before her. She and everyone else was struggling along, figuring out things for themselves and reinventing the wheel. She carried with her the seed of being a mentor, but didn’t know what to do with the idea. Now, when asked, she told the interviewer, “It would be great if I could use all this life experience I have in music to be of service to up-and-coming singers.”

That’s when she learned about coaching. She trained at The Hudson Institute in Santa Barbara, California, in 2002 and became certified as a Personal & Professional Development Coach. “What’s beautiful about coaching is that I create the space in which they change themselves,” she says. “We often talk about what’s wrong. We put all this attention on what we need to fix.” We should be asking ourselves, “What are my gifts? What do I find consistent joy in doing?” Answering such questions can change a person’s entire outlook.

“During the ’80s,” Sylvia says, “my gifts were being expressed through having a record label deal and having records on the radio. I’m still using my voice–just expanding it.”

She is also still recording and performing. She has released several CDs on her Red Pony label and has played dates here and there over the past years, but she didn’t have a booking agent. That is about to change.

Sylvia’s new manager is Brian Horner, and her booking agent is Brent Taylor of the Joe Taylor Artist Agency. She’s started recording a new album, which is expected to be completed by the end of this year. She plans to go on tour to promote it. “We’re really gearing up for next year,” she says. She’s hoping some of the people who came to see her at those county fairs, back when she did 60 fairs in 90 days for several years in a row, will come to see her again.

“I’m very happy, I love my life, I love my coaching work,” Sylvia Hutton says. “I love that I’m still able to sing and that people are still interested in hearing me sing. I’m excited about the prospect of doing more concerts in the future.”
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2016, 05:38 AM   #14
Tumbleweed1980
Frequent Poster

Thumbs up An Incredible Career Spanning Over 35 Years!

Hello everyone!

I wanted to share this video that celebrates Sylvia's amazing singing career! Wow! This guy did a beautiful job, compiling and editing all of the video and audio footage.

For those of us who know and love all of her songs. There are a few of her hits that were omitted, "Heart on the Mend", "Like Nothing Ever Happened" and "I Never Quite Got Back (From Loving You)". But even without those, it's most certainly still stunning how well put together it is and I appreciate it very much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erJoS7tteWY
Old 04-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #15
IllinoisTVFan

Wow talk about a blast from the past. I remember her from the early 80's.