Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon
Sundance Gets Original Series for VOD; GSN Gets Thanksgiving Marathons
Antenna TV January 2018 Schedule Includes Gimme a Break! and Coach; Pop Launches Wednesday Comedies in January
The Detour Back on TBS in January; I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke Show Christmas on CBS
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 13, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Louie (and Other Projects with Louis C.K.) Cancelled; CBS Colorizing More Dick Van Dyke Episodes; More Diff'rent Strokes DVDs

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

Default Only 4 seasons of Happy Days on DVD??

It ran for 11 seasons right? Surprising only 4 are out on DVD!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
704Hauser
Forum Regular

Well, they were released by Paramount, who aren't exactly the best company when it comes to TV on DVD...
Psycho Dad, Psycho Dad, Psycho Dad.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

I'm still waiting for Season 5 and 6 because of Mork and the Laverne and Shirley crossovers
Old 06-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
steevo
It is Green

I would like to see the rest of the series on DVD as well, but I have heard that music rights are the main reason for the hold-up. It seems that CBS doesn't want to spend the money for the rights to the original music.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

I suspect that when they were making the shows, they didn't think that people would be watching them nearly forty years later, much less about them being released on a home video format.

Videocassette recorders were just being introduced in the late '70s and no one knew if they were going to take off as a mass market item, much less be the predecessor to DVD/Blu-ray.

It's too bad they couldn't have locked up the rights for the music to be used in other media, but HD wasn't alone in being able to see the future of home video.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
BewitchedFan
Frequent Poster

I'm patiently waiting for more seasons. At least give us Seasons 5 and 6. Those seasons were amazing. Starting with Season 7, the show went downhill and got worse after Ron Howard left. So, all I'm asking for is Seasons 5 and 6.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

I understand Happy Days was a nice wholesome show but it really wasn't THAT funny. I'd much rather see more seasons of the Jeffersons released especially after the death of George!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
loaferman
Forum Regular

Many DVD releases have been plagued by music rights issues. Nobody thought about it back then as has been said. Also many music rights holders think they can make a windfall off these rights and do not cooperate. I have read of outrageous amounts being asked which led to music being changed to awful generic music that is worse than no music at all, WKRP, Hunter, and Married With Children are good examples. I assume all current shows either license the music when broadcast for home video or avoid using anything that will be an issue.
“It was ‘Will and Grace,’ it was the social media. Literally. That’s what changed peoples’ attitudes. That’s why I was so certain that the vast majority of people would embrace and rapidly embrace” gay marriage, Biden said.

“Think behind of all that, I bet you 85 percent of those changes, whether it’s in Hollywood or social media are a consequence of Jewish leaders in the industry. The influence is immense, the influence is immense."
-Vice President Joe Biden May 2013
Old 08-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaferman
Many DVD releases have been plagued by music rights issues. Nobody thought about it back then as has been said. Also many music rights holders think they can make a windfall off these rights and do not cooperate. I have read of outrageous amounts being asked which led to music being changed to awful generic music that is worse than no music at all, WKRP, Hunter, and Married With Children are good examples. I assume all current shows either license the music when broadcast for home video or avoid using anything that will be an issue.

That's not a problem anymore since intros are a thing of the past and don't exist for the most part in today's shows!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
BewitchedFan
Frequent Poster

Why exactly was Paramount able to use "Rock Around the Clock" for Season 1, but not on Season 2? What was the issue?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
BewitchedFan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big3sCompanyFan
I understand Happy Days was a nice wholesome show but it really wasn't THAT funny. I'd much rather see more seasons of the Jeffersons released especially after the death of George!

Considering that you're posting in a Happy Days forum and in a thread dedicated to the Happy Days DVDs, you're basically thread crapping.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

This show is slowly becoming obsolete because it's failing in syndication which is going to hurt DVD sales
Old 08-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
BewitchedFan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
This show is slowly becoming obsolete because it's failing in syndication which is going to hurt DVD sales

That's because they're showing it at inconvenient times. Who is going to stay up so late on a weeknight to watch this? Why not show this at 8 or 9pm? Why show it at 11pm or 12am?? That's insane!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewitchedFan
That's because they're showing it at inconvenient times. Who is going to stay up so late on a weeknight to watch this? Why not show this at 8 or 9pm? Why show it at 11pm or 12am?? That's insane!

I miss the old days when it was aired in syndication at 5pm. For some reason Laverne and Shirely has performed better in the ratings than HD on the HUB
Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
BewitchedFan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
For some reason Laverne and Shirely has performed better in the ratings than HD on the HUB

I haven't watched L&S either for the same reasons why I don't watch HD. Back in the day when Nick @ Nite used to air these at 8pm, I used to watch both shows all the time. I miss the days when classic sitcoms used to be shown at nice, convenient times. Nothing like coming home from a hard days work and turning on the TV to watch some classic sitcoms.