Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hazel links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hazel Photo Gallery

Hazel - The Complete First Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete First Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Second Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Third Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Hazel
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime
CBS Orders Full Seasons of Sophomore Sitcoms; Desperate Housewives Star Heads to Dynasty
Two and a Half Men Heads to Nick at Nite; WE tv Acquires Criminal Minds

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Jude The Obscure
Retired

Madderest Hazel's harping on Mr. B's weight

Does anyone else find this incredibly annoying? Especially when she isn't the picture perfect example of health herself? I wonder if Don Defore was irritated at the writers' constant jabs at his being overweight. (The actor in his younger movie days was quite dashing, IMO).
Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
gidgetgrape
Forever Gidget

It doesn't really bother me, but I too think it's weird considering Hazel's girth. Maybe it was considered inappropriate for a man to comment on a woman's weight? On "I Love Lucy" I remember Lucy poking fun at Ethel's weight, but I can't remember Fred directly doing the same thing.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
retroTVfan4ever

It's just the way the show was written, Mr. B. might have been the man of the house but Hazel was the outspoken HEAD of the house, whether Mr. B. liked it or not. Hazel was a salaried employee of Mr. B., but in the world of TV that didn't matter, Hazel ran the household. She could say whatever she wanted to Mr. B., all he could do was take it like a man. It's possible Don DeFore might have been frustrated with that type of role, but since he did it for four years it probably didn't bother him all that much. Maybe he went along with the premise of being bossed around at home, in exchange for scenes in episodes displaying his attorney skills.

What strikes me as funny when Hazel comments on Mr. B's weight, she says he should lose weight but at the same time she was always serving him these high calorie meals.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
old grouch

This aspect of Hazel and Mr. B's relationship reminds me of the relationship between Nell and the Chief on 'Gimme a Break'.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Jude The Obscure
Retired

^Two peas in a pod! I remember the episode where they both went on a diet and then ended up binging! it was hilarious.

And Retro--you made my point at the very end
Old 04-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

I want a pork chop. And bring me another brownie! (Famous Mr. B lines)
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Jude The Obscure
Retired

^
Old 12-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
missy's pop pop
Forum Regular
Hooray for "Hazel!"

Biggrin "Are you serious about losing your weight?"

Something to keep in mind here: In the Ted Key cartoons, Hazel was harping on Mr. B constantly to lose weight. That was a character trait that was brought into the TV series.

Also, when "Hazel" debuted in 1961, it was the time when losing weight was a national rage. Knox Gelatine had a diet for women in which future Whitney Blake-types were encouraged to drink an envelope of Knox mixed into water, skim milk or tea to help milady feel fuller.

There were also the first pre-mixed diet drinks. Anyone remember Metrecal or Sego liquid diet food? Not to mention those little chewy candies called "AYDS" (you ate two before a meal to dull your appetite)?

And by Hazel's S3, a woman in New York named Jean Nidetch founded a certain little group called Weight Watchers which, as you may have noticed, just launched a new campaign called "Simple Start" for its 51st anniversary as a worldwide weight-loss organization.

In this respect, Hazel nagging Mr. B was years ahead of her time!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
MichaelKeith
Forum Regular

Hazel and Mr. B had that give and take relationship, that good-natured conflict that works so well on sitcoms. Beneath that sometimes gruff exterior, George loved Hazel like one of the family.

Plus, don't you think that bit of nagging adds an element of realism to this show, which was basically an idealized portrayal of the American family of the time--I do. I mean, just about every episode ends happily so to have that note of realism in the shows only adds to its appeal for me.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
comedyfreak
Forum Veteran
Cheers!

Well stated.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
Lisalu
Occasional Poster

Fred made fun of Ethel's weight all the time! It was a running gag on the series.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #12
PracTz
Forum Regular

Ironically, it wasn't her ironic girth that made it annoying to hear her harp on Mr. B's weight but the fact that Hazel constantly cooked and baked large quantities of fattening foods for the family. If she truly was concerned about his weight what was the point of putting out all those fattening foods?

P.S. One of my grandmothers also did this and it's not amongst the things I miss about her memory.