Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Here's Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Here's Lucy Photo Gallery

Here's Lucy - Season One

Buy Here's Lucy - Season One on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Two

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Two on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Three

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Three on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Four

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Four on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Five

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Five on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Six

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Six on DVD
Here's Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy Here's Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy Here's Lucy - Best Loved Episodes from the Hit TV Series / Buy Here's Lucy - Best of Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Here's Lucy
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
lucyandethel
Forum Regular

Default Here's Lucy in Syndication

I read the following on Wikipedia:

Not initially offered in syndication when the series ended in 1974, CBS Daytime reran the series from May 2 to November 4, 1977. By 1982, Here's Lucy was finally put into broadcast syndication first by Telepictures, and in turn the rights were later transferred to Warner Bros. Television Distribution (which acquired Telepictures' holdings). The show was also one of the first shows aired on the PAX Network in 1998. Warner Bros. TV remains the distribution rights holder for all media except home video.

Why do you think Lucy waited eight years to put the show into syndication? Wouldn't you want to put a show in reruns ASAP to recoup costs? Was there no demand? Would be curious to know.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Leslie Eckhardt
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyandethel
I read the following on Wikipedia:

Not initially offered in syndication when the series ended in 1974, CBS Daytime reran the series from May 2 to November 4, 1977. By 1982, Here's Lucy was finally put into broadcast syndication first by Telepictures, and in turn the rights were later transferred to Warner Bros. Television Distribution (which acquired Telepictures' holdings). The show was also one of the first shows aired on the PAX Network in 1998. Warner Bros. TV remains the distribution rights holder for all media except home video.

Why do you think Lucy waited eight years to put the show into syndication? Wouldn't you want to put a show in reruns ASAP to recoup costs? Was there no demand? Would be curious to know.
I think there were high hopes for good ratings when CBS began re-running Here's Lucy in 1977. It was probably a deal similar to when The Lucy Show and I Love Lucy were run by CBS on their morning weekday schedule. The fact that is was pulled after only a few months possibly reflects low ratings. Perhaps CBS had a contract to run the show dayside for a number of years and that contract had to run it's course before it could be offered in syndication.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Eckhardt
I think there were high hopes for good ratings when CBS began re-running Here's Lucy in 1977. It was probably a deal similar to when The Lucy Show and I Love Lucy were run by CBS on their morning weekday schedule. The fact that is was pulled after only a few months possibly reflects low ratings.

Actually, it was never intended to run long term. I forget the circumstances, but it had something to do with a show being taken off the air and CBS needing something to fill in that time slot until they could get a regular replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyandethel

The reason was The Lucy Show, which had just gone into syndication in 1972 following its four-year morning run on CBS. The Lucy Show was still being widely syndicated in 1974, and of course I Love Lucy, which went into syndication in 1967. It was felt it would be hard to sell Here's Lucy at that point with so many stations already carrying the the two predecessor series.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:12 PM   #4
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
Actually, it was never intended to run long term. I forget the circumstances, but it had something to do with a show being taken off the air and CBS needing something to fill in that time slot until they could get a regular replacement.

The reason was The Lucy Show, which had just gone into syndication in 1972 following its four-year morning run on CBS. The Lucy Show was still being widely syndicated in 1974, and of course I Love Lucy, which went into syndication in 1967. It was felt it would be hard to sell Here's Lucy at that point with so many stations already carrying the the two predecessor series.

In a nutshell (and not to repeat what has already been said), it was apparently thought that Here's Lucy would be overkill and might cannibalize sales of the other two series syndication packages. Also, on somewhat of an unrelated note, it's safe to argue that Here's Lucy has not aged very well. The writing and the plots are horrendous, cartoonish is some episodes.

Also, Lucy often yells her lines in her cigarette bass voice; she mugs for the cameras and generally overplays every scene - the subtlety and comedic range she sometimes showed in ILL are completely gone. Lucy became a bad caricature of herself in this series.

More to the point, Lucy really doesn't give her kids much of an opportunity to show their talent. They're pretty much relegated to extras who deliver straight lines or react to Lucy. Then again, Lucie Arnaz, although only about 18 years old at the start of the series, also tends to overact and mug for the camera. Desi Jr. on the other hand, has a surprising confidence and competence for his young age.

The shows included ridiculous references to Lucy's youth and beauty, when (even if you believe her publicly stated age) Lucy would have been near 60 at the start of the series and not aging well by any stretch of the imagination. Episodes have various men enthralled by Lucy's beauty or making flattering remarks about her, "a good looking dame but what a kook".
Old 03-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #5
mets82

I think they didn't want the show in syndication because if it was, it would get old real fast. Just look at today. How many shows have been beated into the ground because of overexposure?

I tried to watch Here's Lucy but I cant get into it at all. Its just not the same show than I Love Lucy plus I just dont laugh. Also, how come she has a guest star in every episode?

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:57 PM   #6
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
I think they didn't want the show in syndication because if it was, it would get old real fast. Just look at today. How many shows have been beated into the ground because of overexposure?

I tried to watch Here's Lucy but I cant get into it at all. Its just not the same show than I Love Lucy plus I just dont laugh. Also, how come she has a guest star in every episode?

Okay, as I already stated above, the reason the show was not put into syndication when production ended in 1974 is that The Lucy Show had only been put into syndication just two years earlier and was doing well (TLS ended in 1968, but continued in daytime reruns on CBS from 1968-72). And I Love Lucy was running in virtually every market in the country, often several times a day. Lucille Ball no longer had ownership of either The Lucy Show or I Love Lucy and only owned Here's Lucy. The syndication market was fully saturated with Lucy reruns, between I Love Lucy and The Lucy Show so she didn't think there was yet a strong enough market for Here's Lucy while the other two shows were being seen so widely. She wanted to wait awhile and give the older shows a chance to run their course. By the early '80s, The Lucy Show was seen mostly just seen on TBS, with just a smattering of other stations around the country airing it. So Here's Lucy had a better chance of standing on its own.

As for Here's Lucy having "a guest star in every episode," I think you've made that comment before. Yes, there is an overabundance of guest stars, but it's not every episode. There are 144 episodes, and a special guest star in 73 episodes. That's only half of the episodes. And about half the time that guest star is playing a fictional character. That's still a lot of guest stars, but it's not a "guest star in every episode."

That said, yes, this show is far inferior to The Lucy Show, and especially I Love Lucy. Lucille Ball was a workaholic and felt compelled to be constantly working. But I think her later career legacy would have been more greatly enhanced had she quit the weekly sitcom grind when she sold Desilu in 1967, then just focused on occasional specials and some movies. She was too old to still be playing this character, especially with her voice so damaged. And the writers had run out of good ideas. You will notice that many of the plots are inferior rewrites of earlier episodes from the past, and many others are more focused on Lucie Arnaz or a guest star, but viewers were turning in wanting to see Lucy.
Friday, May 19, 2017 at 9:00 PM/8:00 PM Central on CBS
Old 02-13-2017, 12:05 AM   #7
ILuvCarolBurnett
Forum Regular

I Love Lucy has been a hit in syndication for decades. The Lucy Show was successful in syndication in the 1970s and 1980s. With that, it was just difficult for a 3rd Lucy show to find its niche in syndication. Fortunately, with so many cable channels, Here's Lucy is finding it life again in recent years. It airs now on COZI TV. Perhaps now it will find life.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:50 PM   #8
EccentricGenius
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII

If memory serves, CBS added repeats of "Here's Lucy" to their daytime schedule in May of '77, replacing Alex Trebek's short-lived game show "Double Dare" (which lasted four months). Throughout much of its short run, "Double Dare" suffered from disappointing ratings, thanks to heavy competition from not only NBC's hit game show "Wheel Of Fortune," but daytime repeats of "Sanford and Son" as well (also airing on NBC).

"Here's Lucy" was dropped in November of '77 after CBS decided to move their hit game show "Match Game" from 3:30 pm to 11 am; "The Price Is Right" (which had expanded to an hour two years earlier) was moved up a half hour from 10:30 am to 10 am as a result. As it turned out, "Match Game's" ratings plummeted dramatically, mainly because the viewers that comprised the show's core audience--young children, teenagers, and college students--were still at school. CBS attempted to reverse its decision six weeks later by returning "Match Game" to the afternoon (at 4 pm) and moving "Tattletales" to 11 am, but the damage was already done..."Match Game's" ratings never fully recovered in its new timeslot (due to the fact that many CBS affiliates preempted it in favor of local or syndicated programming), and CBS canceled it less than two years later.

In addition, CBS expanded its long-running daytime serial, "Guiding Light," to a full hour in November of '77...that may be another reason why "Here's Lucy" was removed from CBS's daytime schedule and "Match Game" was moved to mornings.

Last edited by EccentricGenius : 12-12-2017 at 05:31 PM.