Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

TV Land Picks Up Hilary Duff, Sutton Foster Sitcom; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Big News" Airing Tonight on Fox
Maude Mother's Day Marathon on Logo; WE tv 2014 Upfront
Week 29 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Simpsons Comes to FXX in Style; New Fox MOD Releases; Welcome Back, Kotter on DVD?
Stephen Colbert to Take Over Late Show on CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 14, 2014)
UP TV 2014 Upfront; TV Land Revives Candid Camera
The CW Schedules Sitcom This Summer from Online World; NBC's Comedy Playground Initiative: You Decide The Next Sitcom

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Meade
Forum Regular

Default The Golden Girls weren't really that old...

This show came on when I was a small child, and I was under the impression that the characters were women over 65 who had a slightly more youthful appearance . But when I caught re-runs, I realized that they ranged in age from as young as early 50s to Sophia who was over 80.

With the exception of Sophia, the girls were in their 50s. I guess back in the 1980s, it was considered a novelty for a woman over 50 to be dating and sexy, etc, but nowadays, wouldnt be kind of passe? I was kind of thinking, if Blanche was right about her age she wouldnt have even been technically a Senior Citizen (age 55 and older) when the series starts.

So Im not sure, but the Golden Girls really weren't all that Golden, but rather middle aged women living with an elderly woman.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Superbowl Bound! Go Hawks!

Location: The Emerald City-The home of 2014 NFC Championship Seattle Seahawks!

That's very true and don't you find it weird that people tend to look so much younger today? I mean I look at pictures of actresses that were taken like 20 years ago when they were in their 40's and they look a lot older than that. I think the Golden Girls looked a lot older than 50! Wow...
Old 03-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Meade
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoopie
That's very true and don't you find it weird that people tend to look so much younger today? I mean I look at pictures of actresses that were taken like 20 years ago when they were in their 40's and they look a lot older than that. I think the Golden Girls looked a lot older than 50! Wow...

True, although if I remember correctly, the actresses on GG were up to 10 years older than the part they were playing (except for Sophia who was actually younger than Bea Arthur). Rue McClanahan was in her 50s, but to me she did look older and acted older. But yeah, 50s today is more like 40s. and so on. I think if the show were made today, they would cast 80 somethings.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Brad
Forum Veteran
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.

Think about it this way: Madonna, who just performed at the Super Bowl halftime show, is now a few years older than Rue McClanahan was when The Golden Girls started.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
retrofan05

Honestly, I think the clothes, hairstyles, and makeup had a lot to do with them looking older. The fashion of the 80's in general made everyone look older than they really were. I've seen pictures of my cousins when they were in their 20's and in some cases they looked older than they do today even though they are now in their 40's!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
JR1
Forum Regular

Ages of the "girls" when the show started airing:

Betty White: 63
Bea Arthur: 63
Estelle Getty: 62
Rue McLanahan: 51
Old 03-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
Meade
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1
Ages of the "girls" when the show started airing:

Betty White: 63
Bea Arthur: 63
Estelle Getty: 62
Rue McLanahan: 51

Were't the characters supposed to all be 50 somethings when the show began (except Sophia, of course). So with the exception, of Rue, all the actresses were at least 10 years older than their characters were supposed to be.

Its just hard to think of a 50 something today as "golden".
Old 03-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
JR1
Forum Regular

I think Dorothy was supposed to be 55 when the show started; she also said to Rose, "you're 55..." when Rose's grief-counseling center closed.

The Blanche character was at least 50 when the show started- when she thinks she's pregnant in the first show of season two, she says she'll be 65 when the kid graduates high school- to which Sophia quips, "Try 70."

But, we know keeping facts straight was never the show's strongest suit.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Think about it this way: Madonna, who just performed at the Super Bowl halftime show, is now a few years older than Rue McClanahan was when The Golden Girls started.

Wow!

Plus keep in mind Betty White is the OLDEST of the main cast yet all main cast members younger than her have died!

Even Betty White has commented on this!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Meade
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big3sCompanyFan
Wow!

Plus keep in mind Betty White is the OLDEST of the main cast yet all main cast members younger than her have died!

Even Betty White has commented on this!

The GG would not work today if they were supposed to be mere 50 somethings. They would have to be in their 70s. Sophia would need to be over 90.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meade
The GG would not work today if they were supposed to be mere 50 somethings. They would have to be in their 70s. Sophia would need to be over 90.

Why do you say that??
Old 04-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
Meade
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big3sCompanyFan
Why do you say that??
Because 50 ain't old anymore.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #13
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Because 50 ain't old anymore.

That's true but some people in their 50s look much older because of bad genes and/or lifestyle.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
lisaemma83
Occasional Poster

Quote:
This show came on when I was a small child, and I was under the impression that the characters were women over 65 who had a slightly more youthful appearance . But when I caught re-runs, I realized that they ranged in age from as young as early 50s to Sophia who was over 80.

With the exception of Sophia, the girls were in their 50s. I guess back in the 1980s, it was considered a novelty for a woman over 50 to be dating and sexy, etc, but nowadays, wouldnt be kind of passe? I was kind of thinking, if Blanche was right about her age she wouldnt have even been technically a Senior Citizen (age 55 and older) when the series starts.

So Im not sure, but the Golden Girls really weren't all that Golden, but rather middle aged women living with an elderly woman.
So true!! I think about that all the time...
Old 05-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #15
liane49
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoopie
I saw an old episode and Dorthy said Rose was 55. She looked older, not because she had wrinkels but because of the way she had her hair and dressed. I guess that's how it was in the 80's. I don't remember.