Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon
Sundance Gets Original Series for VOD; GSN Gets Thanksgiving Marathons
Antenna TV January 2018 Schedule Includes Gimme a Break! and Coach; Pop Launches Wednesday Comedies in January
The Detour Back on TBS in January; I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke Show Christmas on CBS
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 13, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Louie (and Other Projects with Louis C.K.) Cancelled; CBS Colorizing More Dick Van Dyke Episodes; More Diff'rent Strokes DVDs

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Default Episodes showing Fonz riding his motorcycle RARE as they be

Season 2 episode ""Not With My Sister, You Don't" this is of the Fonz actually riding his motorcycle? This is a still from the show but in this episode Henry Winkler actually pulling into Arnolds (shown above).

It is SO RARE to see Henry Winkler as The Fonz actually ride his motorcycle on the Happy Day TV show. I went back and watched all the shows and it was SO rare but I did capture about 4 seconds total. Mostly in the intro of the show they show him for a few seconds but in

Season 2 episode titled "Cruisin" they show him coasting for about 3 seconds also. shown above.

It is TRUE he CAN NOT ride at all and it is really sad because he is the nicest guy too. He only coasts on the bike and can not work the gears, clutch, throttle or break because his dyslexia is so bad. I have seen him in a few interviews and he even said he wished he could learn but it was just too dangerous after the 1st accident he had on the show trying. If anyone can name ALL the episodes where they really show him riding, mimic riding, or just coasting let me know. Thanks

As seen in this interview with him. Happy Days - Fonzie's Motorcycle - Archive Interview Excerpts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6om6cg8HN8 Members of the cast of "Happy Days" reminisce about how Fonzie (Henry Winkler) never actually rode a motorcycle!

Henry Winkler must be a better actor than I give him credit for, because he is deathly afraid of motorcycles and does a convincing job of looking cool on one in the show.

Last edited by antman67 : 02-12-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
maxwell
Frequent Poster

I know there is an extensive scene of the Fonz riding his motorcycle chasing after the runaway horses carrying Joanie, but the closeups were likely filmed in front of a moving screen.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Also an episode where Chachi was riding on the back in the later season shot from the waste up. No, those are obviosly on a tow truck, I mean where they actually show him from a distance. It's really RARE but I may have spotted them all listed above I think? Anythng else, like the Pink Tuscadaro episodes were clearly a stunt man.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
YoliUSA
Fan of the Classics

Send a message via MSN to YoliUSA

In the episode "Howard's 45th Fiasco", there's a scene where Fonzie is exiting the Cunningham's house driveway and Henry is the one riding the motorcycle. I'm pretty sure it's him and not a stuntman.

Also there's a scene used in the opening credits where Fonzie is riding up the same driveway and it looks like Henry is riding on his own. I'll check my DVD's to see if I'm right.

I've seen/read some interviews where Henry says he never rode the motorcycle on his own because the first time he tried he almost crashed (don't recall the exact info though) but these pics/clips prove otherwise.

"Sometimes I just don't understand human behavior"- C-3PO

My DVD's
Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoliUSA
In the episode "Howard's 45th Fiasco", there's a scene where Fonzie is exiting the Cunningham's house driveway and Henry is the one riding the motorcycle. I'm pretty sure it's him and not a stuntman.

Also there's a scene used in the opening credits where Fonzie is riding up the same driveway and it looks like Henry is riding on his own. I'll check my DVD's to see if I'm right.

I've seen/read some interviews where Henry says he never rode the motorcycle on his own because the first time he tried he almost crashed (don't recall the exact info though) but these pics/clips prove otherwise.

YOUR RIGHT! Good CATCH - OUTSTANDING! I'm trying to put together clips of him. I'll add this to the list. Thank You!
What I'm wondering is did they push him and he is coasting or did he ride it in 1st gear for just a few seconds just long enough to get the shot? I know he did have to ride it briefly or bare;y for these shots. The same blue car is parked on the street so I'm guessing all shot probably the same day?
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Default Fonz riding his motorcycle

I always wondered about the opening credits when they show Fonz clearly riding his motorcycle for about 3 seconds. I know Henry can't ride and found my answer online and here's how they did it:

In an interview with Henry Winkler in which he said he never learned how to ride a motorcycle. The only time he was ever feet-up on a bike was in the scene used in the opening credits of the show, where he rides up the street and makes a left turn into the Cunningham's driveway. The part of that scene you don't see is three stage hands giving him a running push-start holding the clutch in, then releasing it for him once he's underway. At the end there are a dozen guys and several feet of foam padding to catch him before he hit the garage.

This saddens me every time I hear it.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Default Fonz Cruisin

ACTUAL footage on Fonz riding his motorcycle - Not him being pulled on plywood sot from the waist up either. Probably just coasting but still, this counts.

Video here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xu5...winkler_people

I saw a few interviews with Henry Winkler in which he said he never learned how to ride a motorcycle. The only time he was ever feet-up on a bike was in the scene used in the opening credits of the show, where he rides up the street and makes a left turn into the Cunningham’s driveway. The part of that scene you don’t see is three stage hands giving him a running push-start holding the clutch in, then releasing it for him once he’s underway. At the end there are a dozen guys and several feet of foam padding to catch him before he hit the garage. Upon hearing this revelation, I was heartbroken. I grew up on Happy Days and thought The Fonz was the coolest thing to ever walk the earth (when I was ten). But he never learned to ride.
- The intro of the show they show a few seconds
- Season 2 Episode titled “Cruisin” they show him coasting for a few seconds
- Season 2 Episode 24 “Not with my sister you DON’T”
- Season 3 Episode 47 “Howard’s 45th Fiasco” they show Fonz leaving down the street
- Season 8 Opening credits
Old 01-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
wayne

I read where Henry was scared to death of motorcycles and almost crashed while trying to ride one. maybe there either were stunt doubles used in the full shots or else just his legs or Fonzie's head was shown, or else there was a flatbed truck used.