Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Dennis the Menace links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Dennis the Menace Photo Gallery

Dennis the Menace - Season One

Buy Dennis the Menace - Season One on DVD
Dennis the Menace - Season Two

Buy Dennis the Menace - Season Two on DVD
Dennis the Menace - Season Three

Buy Dennis the Menace - Season Three on DVD
Dennis the Menace - The Final Season (Season Four)

Buy Dennis the Menace - The Final Season (Season Four) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Dennis the Menace
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

CBS Midseason Pilot Review: Bad Teacher - Premieres Thursday, April 24; Rookie Blue Coming to ION Television in Fall 2014
Bill Cosby to Be Honored with Johnny Carson Award; SNL Celebrates 40th Anniversary in 2015
Sullivan & Son Returns with All-Star Guests; George Lopez Developing Animated Series
Review of Tonight's Devious Maids Premiere; Week 30 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: SNL Looking to 40th Anniversary; New Mill Creek DVD Releases
The CW Summer 2014 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 21, 2014)
Episodic Review: Community - "Basic Sandwich" Airing Tonight on NBC; FX Orders 3rd Season of The Americans, Solid Start for Fargo

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Default Dennis the Menace - The Final Season (Season Four) DVD Review

Hey Mr. Wilson! America's first "bad boy" of television, Dennis Mitchell, is back for the final 38 episodes of the 1959-1963 TV series in a five disc set. Based upon the classic Hank Ketcham comic strip, which continues to run in newspapers all over the nation even these days, the series follows the daily adventures in the life of Dennis (Jay North), his family, and his neighbors, the Wilsons. There is one slight change in this season, though. Following the death of Joseph Kearns in the middle of the third season, George Wilson is no longer the neighbor, and in his place is John Wilson (Gale Gordon), a role that ended up taking him directly into his role on The Lucy Show a season later. The 38 episodes on this set give us our last look at the Mitchells and Wilsons together in one series.

Read our review by skees53 here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/dennist...dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Jack Gomez
Forum Regular
Felipe's son

I'm extremely disappointed that Shout! didn't put the radio interview with Jay North on this set like they did with the Jeannie Russell and Gloria Henry one for the First Season set. I wrote them asking about it and the answer I got back about Jay not wanting anything to do with the series doesn't make sense. If that was true he wouldn't have done the radio interview with Stu talking about the series. In that same interview he said he would have done the extras for the First Season set, but couldn't get off work for that day.
So I don't know what was going on there. Maybe it came down to money. (And then there is also an interview with Jay, Jeannie and Gloria for a news station up on youtube where he talks about the show.)

Having said all that, it's nice to have all the seasons out on DVD.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
McGillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gomez
I'm extremely disappointed that Shout! didn't put the radio interview with Jay North on this set like they did with the Jeannie Russell and Gloria Henry one for the First Season set. I wrote them asking about it and the answer I got back about Jay not wanting anything to do with the series doesn't make sense. If that was true he wouldn't have done the radio interview with Stu talking about the series. In that same interview he said he would have done the extras for the First Season set, but couldn't get off work for that day.
So I don't know what was going on there. Maybe it came down to money. (And then there is also an interview with Jay, Jeannie and Gloria for a news station up on youtube where he talks about the show.)

Having said all that, it's nice to have all the seasons out on DVD.

Back when the first season was released, and the video and audio interviews with Gloria and Jeannie came out, we were led to believe Jay didn't participate because he didn't want any thing to do with the show. Up until recently, I had accepted that that theory, since its known that Jay had an abusive relationship with an aunt & uncle on the set of DTM. I just felt I could respect Jay's perspective, under the circumstances.

Now, were hearing Jay didn't participate in those original interviews, because he couldn't get off work that day. Then recently they reunited Gloria and Jeannie again, along with Jay this time. It seemed to me this (these) new interviews would certainly be on season 4.

something here just is not adding up!

Did Jay initially not have anything to do with the DVD releases, and have a change of heart by the time season 4 was in the works??

If Jay did indeed use the excuse he couldn't get off work the day of the original interviews, couldn't Stu have re-scheduled to a time Jay, Gloria and Jeannie were all available??

If Jay didn't want this latest interview to appear on the DVD set, why would he have agreed to the interview at all?

Anyway, I too am extremely disappointed about this, as well as very confused!! But I, also am glad the entire series got released, despite the unincluded interview.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #4
comedyfreak
Where No One Has Gone Before

Quote:
Originally Posted by markway895
Back when the first season was released, and the video and audio interviews with Gloria and Jeannie came out, we were led to believe Jay didn't participate because he didn't want any thing to do with the show. Up until recently, I had accepted that that theory, since its known that Jay had an abusive relationship with an aunt & uncle on the set of DTM. I just felt I could respect Jay's perspective, under the circumstances.

Now, were hearing Jay didn't participate in those original interviews, because he couldn't get off work that day. Then recently they reunited Gloria and Jeannie again, along with Jay this time. It seemed to me this (these) new interviews would certainly be on season 4.

something here just is not adding up!

Did Jay initially not have anything to do with the DVD releases, and have a change of heart by the time season 4 was in the works??

If Jay did indeed use the excuse he couldn't get off work the day of the original interviews, couldn't Stu have re-scheduled to a time Jay, Gloria and Jeannie were all available??

If Jay didn't want this latest interview to appear on the DVD set, why would he have agreed to the interview at all?

Anyway, I too am extremely disappointed about this, as well as very confused!! But I, also am glad the entire series got released, despite the unincluded interview.
Maybe they're saving it for a later time to milk the cash cow like they did with I Love Lucy, that bonus disc which was released later.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Jack Gomez
Forum Regular
Felipe's son

My dvd set came today from amazon! I'm still watching the 3rd season set, but I'm happy now to have the complete series.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
tazz765
Frequent Poster

I was disappointed at first that the interview from Stu's Show wasn't included on the DVD set. However, I decided to pay the buck and I downloaded the interview last night. After listening to the radio interview I'm glad that it wasn't included because while a big part of his life Stu focused too much on the abuse Jay suffered from his aunt and uncle and at times it was uncomfortable to listen to. However, I did enjoy the part about the auditioning and North's later career.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
bliss
Forum Regular
THAT GIRL

I'm happy Shout released all the seasons but season 4 was weak imo. Dennis no longer wore his infamous overalls, striped t-shirt, and slingshot in his back pocket. Dennis seemed to be less of a menace to Mr. Wilson from what I've seen so far on my DVD set and there's barely any comedic chemistry between them. Dennis parents were more like pretty props than major players. Reminds me of the final season of Patty Duke Show. Just throwing in my two cents.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
schmave
Frequent Poster

I've always thought of the last batch of episodes from Season 3 as an extension of Season 4, if not a Season "3 1/2." There was such a dramatically different feel once Joseph Kearns left that everybody had to have known the show's days were numbered. The show transitioned the best it possibly could at the end of Season 3.
I've also wondered if the loss of any other major character would have had the same impact losing Joseph Kearns did. How would they have handled things if Herbert Anderson, Gloria Henry or even Sylvia Field died suddenly?