Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Archie Bunker's Place links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Archie Bunker's Place Photo Gallery

Archie Bunker's Place - The Complete First Season

Buy Archie Bunker's Place - The Complete First Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Archie Bunker's Place
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

TV Marathons on Labor Day 2014; SitcomsOnline Book Club - Danielle Fishel's Normally, This Would Be Cause for Concern
Summer 2014 Week 14 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Could Full House or The Greatest American Hero Be Revived as New Series?; Spenser: For Hire Now on DVD
FamilyNet Fall 2014 Schedule with Sony TV Classics; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of September 1, 2014)
Antenna TV Acquires 11 Classics for 2015, Includes One Day at a Time, Small Wonder; Amazon Prime Gets Jeffrey Tambor/Judith Light Comedy
ABC Family Fall 2014 Schedule; Long Island Blood & Babes Comic Con Sept. 12-14 in New York
66th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners; Lost Centric Episode of Disney Animated Series Written by Lost Co-Creator

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August)

Community - The Complete Fifth Season Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season Parks and Recreation - Season Six Three's Company - The Complete Series Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Series

08/05 - Californication - The Final (Seventh) Season
08/05 - Community - The Complete Fifth Season
08/05 - Mad About You - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
08/05 - The Nanny - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
08/05 - Dennis the Menace (Animated) - Lights! Camera! Menace!
08/12 - Bitten - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
08/19 - The Millers - The First Season
08/19 - The Mindy Project - Season Two
08/19 - Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season
08/19 - Parks and Recreation - Season Six
08/19 - Three's Company - The Complete Series - Come and Knock on Our Door Collection
08/19 - Once Upon a Time - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
08/26 - Austin & Ally - Chasing the Beat
08/26 - Good Luck Charlie - So Long, Farewell!
08/26 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Series / Review
08/26 - Revenge - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Default Was Edith's Death Necessary Or Downright Insulting?

I know Jean Stapleton had enough and wanted to leave the show, but with that said, what are your own personal thoughts on killing her off???

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 10-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Well, there really was no other logical choice. I think to Carroll and the producers that it was unreal to have a major character appear infrequently. If it were me, I would have had her appear maybe eight eps per season. However, I think they came to the conclusion that it would not have worked out. She was a key element in the world of Archie Bunker and so either she stay full time or be laid to rest to make room for Archie to move on to other things and not be stifled.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
gopyle
Frequent Poster

Not sure how else they could have handled it. Recasting would have been a poor option.
The whole Archie Bunker's Place idea was really not worth pursuing in my opinion, especially without Edith. There were a few decent episodes, but nothing that memorable.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

They wouldn't have had to kill her off if they had done the honorable and logical thing of discontinuing the series once they knew she wanted off. The only reason to continue a four character show without three of the characters was, and is, greed.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Vince53
Forum Regular

Brian, I had seriously wondered if it wouldn't have been better to have them announce that they had been divorced, but that would have hurt the ATF re-runs. There was just no other way to continue without her.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
Johnny be good!

Nothing we could have done.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE
Well, there really was no other logical choice. I think to Carroll and the producers that it was unreal to have a major character appear infrequently. If it were me, I would have had her appear maybe eight eps per season. However, I think they came to the conclusion that it would not have worked out. She was a key element in the world of Archie Bunker and so either she stay full time or be laid to rest to make room for Archie to move on to other things and not be stifled.

You're mostly correct. But the decision was made because Jean Stapleton decided to leave the show. Had she elected to stay, I'm sure they would have done like the first season and had her appear in a handful of episodes.

And for the record, Stapleton supported the move. When asked how she felt about Edith "dying," she replied, "You can't kill an idea, can you?"
Old 07-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #8
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
You're mostly correct. But the decision was made because Jean Stapleton decided to leave the show. Had she elected to stay, I'm sure they would have done like the first season and had her appear in a handful of episodes.

And for the record, Stapleton supported the move. When asked how she felt about Edith "dying," she replied, "You can't kill an idea, can you?"

According to Carroll from the True Hollywood story, it wasn't going to work having to film around Edith and something had to give which is why they went the route that they did. I also read somewhere that Jean had agreed to appear in a handful of eps but it was the producers that decided to kill off the character.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
biffbronson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro4Life
They wouldn't have had to kill her off if they had done the honorable and logical thing of discontinuing the series once they knew she wanted off. The only reason to continue a four character show without three of the characters was, and is, greed.

I don't see the continuation of a successful series like this one as greed at all, when you consider that the livelihoods of the actors, writers, crew, etc. all were at stake. Killing off her character was about the only viable option. If you had a partner in your own commercial venture who decided to leave, would you be greedy in maintaining your livelihood without him/her? Your family's income at stake?

It's easy to say that the plug should have been pulled, but the show was not "Edith Bunker's Place." I watched this series from its beginning back then, and to be honest I didn't even remember that Jean Stapleton was ever on it...!

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."
Old 07-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #10
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Keep Calm & Write Fan Fiction

Location: Seattle-Home to "Frasier" and the Superbowl 48 Champion Seattle Seahawks

I don't think there was any other choice other than to have her die b/c they never really had any marital problems that were bad enough to warrant them divorcing.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #11
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

I think Divorce would have been better than Death, JMO
Old 07-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
JR1
Forum Regular

Default Jean Was...

not a major player once it turned into Archie Bunker's Place, so the show did try the route of her being on recurring status.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
peabodynaugie
Occasional Poster

I believe Jean Stapleton asked for her character to be killed off.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
I don't see the continuation of a successful series like this one as greed at all, when you consider that the livelihoods of the actors, writers, crew, etc. all were at stake. Killing off her character was about the only viable option. If you had a partner in your own commercial venture who decided to leave, would you be greedy in maintaining your livelihood without him/her? Your family's income at stake?

It's easy to say that the plug should have been pulled, but the show was not "Edith Bunker's Place." I watched this series from its beginning back then, and to be honest I didn't even remember that Jean Stapleton was ever on it...!

If you see the show only in terms of being a 'commercial venture', of course you don't see it as greed. I see it as both a business and a work of art, actually, and on that basis I do feel confident in saying that once a show has lived it's natural life, it's time to move on. If your goal is simply employing people for as long as possible, you throw all artistic considerations out the window. Why not have Billie parade around in a bikini, or give Barney Hefner a sex change? Both of those things would have garnered viewers, but they wouldn't have been in the spirit of the show that Norman Lear originally conceived of a decade or more ago.

No, it' wasn't called "Edith Bunker's Place" but it WAS a direct continuation of "All in the Family". With Mike, Gloria and Edith gone, there wasn't much "family" left, I'd say.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
9symphony9
Frequent Poster

I rather they just have something else written for her.

Last edited by 9symphony9 : 11-24-2012 at 12:16 PM.