Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Bewitched (Sitcoms Online) / Bewitched links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Bewitched Photo Gallery

Bewitched - The Complete First Season (B&W)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete First Season (B&W) on DVD
(Mill Creek)
Bewitched - The Complete First Season (Color)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete First Season (Color) on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (B&W)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (B&W) on DVD
(Mill Creek)
Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (Color)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (Color) on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Third Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Series

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Bewitched
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Hot in Cleveland to End; Netflix Picks up Tina Fey Comedy; Wonder Years Season 2 DVDs
Fox Mid-Season 2015 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of November 24, 2014)
INSP Gets Walker, Texas Ranger; ABC, Fox Mid-Season New Show Premieres
TBS Orders 22 More Episodes for American Dad!; Hulu Orders Amy Poehler Comedy
Pop Launches Jan. 14, 2015 with 90210, Melrose Place; Mike & Molly Returns Monday, Dec. 8 on CBS
Honeymooners on Thanksgiving on WPIX in NY; Bounce TV Sitcom Family Time Striving in 2nd Season
Week 8 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Review
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #16
AB
Forum Celebrity
A Thanksgiving Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitched Brady
I like the 1st darrin,the stories on the first 1-3 seasons were great.
When the new darrin came along they were rehashing the same old stories and clients more often than with dick york.
I read somewhere that on the first day of shooting moorehead was getting frustrated with sargent and summed it up in a sentance...
"Don't mess with perfection" or something like that about how her working relationship was with york while sargent was making mistakes etc .

If he'd replaced Dick York after the first or second season, the transition might have went smoother for him. And as you said the rehashing of story lines didn't really help him either. Also Dick Sargent didn't seem to have the same chemistry with the cast that D.Y. had.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #17
pat1964
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by comedyfreak
I didn't mind the second Darrin. I really liked the show and was glad that it continued after Dick York left the show.

As with any role,each actor/actress brings his/her own interpretation to the role. Dick York had his way of playing Darrin. Dick Sargent had his. Both did an excellent job as Darrin. I am glad they each had their own acting styles. It would have ended the series much sooner had Sargent tried being another York. Isn't it interesting that George Tobias (Abner Kravitz) starred in a movie titled "Sargent York",about the WW1 heroism of Alvin York,played by Gary Cooper? I am glad also the series continued for another three seasons after Dick York left. Same with Aunt Clara/Esmeralda. Marion Lorne and Alice Ghostley had their own styles playing witches who frequently goofed on their spells and both did an excellent job. Ms.Lorne and Ms.Ghostley appeared side by side at a party in the movie "The Graduate" with Dustin Hoffman.

Last edited by pat1964 : 01-22-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #18
duckie

To me the original is always the best, but i thought DS did a good job replacing DY. I had no problem with him. Its sad that either one didnt live long.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #19
burlivespipe
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckie
To me the original is always the best, but i thought DS did a good job replacing DY. I had no problem with him. Its sad that either one didnt live long.

For me, it wasn't that I thought York was better than Sargent but more so that for a show that had so much creativity and pure opportunity to explain the switch, they didn't even try to do it. That made me kind of resent the producer for being lazy and expecting me as a fan just to take the casting change -- and i know the reasons behind it, although then as a young kid I wouldn't have understood -- and thus not appreciate Sargent's take on Darrin.
York was fantastic, he developed a specific, anxious but pure comedic protaganist for the witch craft storyline. Sargent didn't have an opportunity to add to that, but I think he was very good in his own way.
The question is, and has probably been asked over and over again, why didn't the creators simply rewrite the episode that either York left or Sargent started so that it could explain why Darrin was changed? It's a no-brainer...
Old 01-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #20
Larry Tate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitched Brady
I like the 1st darrin,the stories on the first 1-3 seasons were great.
When the new darrin came along they were rehashing the same old stories and clients more often than with dick york.
I read somewhere that on the first day of shooting moorehead was getting frustrated with sargent and summed it up in a sentance...
"Don't mess with perfection" or something like that about how her working relationship was with york while sargent was making mistakes etc .

Agnes Moorehead at the start of the very first read through right after she had met Dick Sargent and before he had done any work on the show said, "I Don't Like Change" and sat down.

Her comments had nothing to do with Dick Sargent specifically but were directed toward the change itself as she felt something that was working so well should not be changed in any way.

She was not frustrated in any way with Dick Sargent who had not even had a chance at that point to yet make or not make any mistakes.

She did not realize the extent to which Dick York had been rendered to a disabled state and in a semi coma and on his back for the next 18 months.

Later when she understood this fact her view of the matter changed, more then anything she was just being loyal to Dick York, it had nothing to do with Dick Sargent one way or another.

The % of client episodes stayed the same and in some years like the last actually went down.

Client Episodes:

12/36
23/36
21/33
22/33
14/30
22/30
20/28
16/26

Larry Tate
Old 01-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #21
Bewitched Brady
Frequent Poster
TV died after 1995

Thanks for that,very interesting.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #22
70s show watcher

i always thought that dick york was a better actoroverall but for some reason i have always liked dick sargent better as darrin
Old 02-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #23
scrapple
Frequent Poster

Dick Sargent was by all acounts a very nice man, and did some fine work in other roles, but to me he was a disaster as Darrin. True, the rehashed plots and weaker supporting players of the later years didnt help him, but that's not the central problem. Dick York's Darrin could be multi-faceted: he could be exasperated with Endora, loving with Samantha, snarky with Larry Tate and frantic with anyone who accidentally stumbled onto Sam's witchcraft. His comic timing was remarkable, but when he got the occasional serious moment (especially in the first two seasons), he nailed it. Sargent was fine with the snarky and the snide, but that's pretty much it. Although they were good friends off-camera, Sargent and Montgomery had ZERO romantic chemistry on screen.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #24
rcbrad
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlivespipe
For me, it wasn't that I thought York was better than Sargent but more so that for a show that had so much creativity and pure opportunity to explain the switch, they didn't even try to do it. That made me kind of resent the producer for being lazy and expecting me as a fan just to take the casting change -- and i know the reasons behind it, although then as a young kid I wouldn't have understood -- and thus not appreciate Sargent's take on Darrin.
York was fantastic, he developed a specific, anxious but pure comedic protaganist for the witch craft storyline. Sargent didn't have an opportunity to add to that, but I think he was very good in his own way.
The question is, and has probably been asked over and over again, why didn't the creators simply rewrite the episode that either York left or Sargent started so that it could explain why Darrin was changed? It's a no-brainer...

Just curious on your thoughts, but how would they incorporate the actors switch in a storyline? Maybe I am missing something, only the actors switched, but the character/role stayed the same. I guess I am not creative enough either. Maybe you mean to introduce an entirely new character?

It must have been planned on purpose not to offer any explanation of the change. I do not think it was a question of being lazy or uncreative, rather it was probably just felt by the producers that it was not necessary for the show.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #25
Willbo
Frequent Poster

Endora could have cast a spell to change Darrin permanently. I too liked Dick Yorks portrayal of Darrin much better. He just fit the character better. He also had much better chemistry with the children. DS seemed uncomfortable around the children and did not interact well with them. My 9 year old daughter even noticed that.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #26
Leslie Eckhardt
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbo
Endora could have cast a spell to change Darrin permanently. I too liked Dick Yorks portrayal of Darrin much better. He just fit the character better. He also had much better chemistry with the children. DS seemed uncomfortable around the children and did not interact well with them. My 9 year old daughter even noticed that.
Dick York was the original Darrin when the series had it's best writing and did a terrific job, but Dick Sargent was fine as a replacement. According to what I've read, Sargent was actually considered for the role before York, but had to decline due to a commitment with Universal Pictures that he had at the time.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #27
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Keep Calm & Write Fan Fiction

Location: Seattle-Hometown of Frasier and Niles Crane, KACL and Cafe Nervosa

That's a shame that people showed so much hatred toward him. I mean come on... I will never understand why people decide that they hate someone based on their looks or personal preferences. And usually it's those people who are treated this way who are the nicest.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #28
tcr1701
Frequent Poster

Agnes did not like the change to Dick Sargent and treated him rather badly. But then Agnes really was a grande dame and Elizabeth often had to talk to her about it. One famous story is that Sargent really broke down with David White and told him of about Agnes and taking her disdain to heart. Elizabeth again had a heart to heart with Agnes about this so she would lighten up on him.

I do agree with something Dick Sargent said; he stated that he felt frustrated that they kept writing Darrin as constantly "mad at Samantha" and he wanted to change that. Bill Asher directly told him no that he should play it as written. IMO the series was getting darker and more angry in tone anyway. Dick York's last year (season 5) was going in this direction as well. In season 5 Darrin was suddenly written as so angry at Uncle Arthur he threatened to punch him several times (in the episode where Darrin and Sam switch voices). This was very un-Darrin like no matter who played him.

Poor Dick Sargent came in at this change in tone as well and I think was rather restrained by it. Had he been able to loosen Darrin up a bit it would have been more fun. Of course, TV was changing and Bewitched was suddenly up against shows like "All in the Family." The squeaky clean comedy of the 1960s was very much over and Bewitched embraced this new decade.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #29
Larry Tate

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcr1701
Agnes did not like the change to Dick Sargent and treated him rather badly. But then Agnes really was a grande dame and Elizabeth often had to talk to her about it. One famous story is that Sargent really broke down with David White and told him of about Agnes and taking her disdain to heart. Elizabeth again had a heart to heart with Agnes about this so she would lighten up on him.

I do agree with something Dick Sargent said; he stated that he felt frustrated that they kept writing Darrin as constantly "mad at Samantha" and he wanted to change that. Bill Asher directly told him no that he should play it as written. IMO the series was getting darker and more angry in tone anyway. Dick York's last year (season 5) was going in this direction as well. In season 5 Darrin was suddenly written as so angry at Uncle Arthur he threatened to punch him several times (in the episode where Darrin and Sam switch voices). This was very un-Darrin like no matter who played him.

Poor Dick Sargent came in at this change in tone as well and I think was rather restrained by it. Had he been able to loosen Darrin up a bit it would have been more fun. Of course, TV was changing and Bewitched was suddenly up against shows like "All in the Family." The squeaky clean comedy of the 1960s was very much over and Bewitched embraced this new decade.

Agnes Moorehead did not like there being a change at all in the role of Darrin, it had nothing to do with Dick Sargent, in fact her additude of coldness began the moment when they first all sat down for the first read through with Dick Sargent who prior to that moment was a complete stranger to her.

This came about due to her feeling that Dick York was so good in the role, which of course her was, her being very fond of him and the ol if it ain't broke don't fix it concept.

As for the Darrin being angry thing both Dick Sargent and Dick York were on the record as saying the same thing on the matter almost word for word in tier comments as both were very decent people and felt uncomfortable behaving that way even in character.

I don't see the change at all, in "What every young man should know" from season two Darrin was screaming at Samantha as he proposed to her in a far more verbally violent way then he did at any other point in the series.

Similarly he did like wise in the early and middle seasons of the show when ever he was upset at whatever new magical incident that was about to render his mortal life asunder.

It was never really directed at Samantha by either of them, rather it was about her relatives and her being an easy conduit to his expressing of his rage at them as well as her being right there.

It was the case in episode after episode in the early years to, so it becoming darker i don't think so.

If anything in a relative sense it was more what you are describing with Dick York then it was with Dick Sargent.

In fact Bill Asher and Richard Michaels both tried to get Dick Sargent to be more bombastic in that sense along the way Dick York had been towards Samantha and her relatives.

This was consistent on the show from start to finish and no different from the early, middle or late seasons on the show.

Larry Tate
Old 10-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #30
tcr1701
Frequent Poster

I can see where Agnes was a handful. I don't think she ever warmed to Sargent (or anyone really other than Liz), but he finally just took that as her personality. Elizabeth joked once that Agnes was always complaining about something.

I so think York gave his arguments with Samantha a gentle twist that Sargent didn't - it's often subtle though. Both men had such different acting styles. Darrin as character was always written rather harshly no matter who played him. Would he really get into a huge argument with Samantha simply because she magically kept pancakes from burning or because she sped herself up (at his request) to get dressed quicker? Sometimes you watch and wonder why he'd care. But the writers and production team insisted "that's what Darrin would do."

Larry Hagman used to complain about how they kept writing the same stuff over and over on "Jeannie." Sidney Sheldon would tell that the show's successful formula and you don't change that.

Elizabeth has stated she thought Darrin being calmer and more resigned to the magic (i.e. Sargent's more sardonic take on Darrin) was natural by the time he took over since they were 5 years into the marriage. She thought it added a funny take on Darrin to having just become resigned to the fact that magic happens.

I definitely see a darker tone to the 1969 - 1972 years of BW. But I generally don't like early 1970s TV anyway. I can see that tone in many shows. It's almost as if that was the beginning of a more cynical era in general. The Camelot Years was definitely over.

It's interesting that there is some sort of perceived war over who was the better Darrin. There was no competition between York and Sargent. Dick York suffered most of his adult life from that back ailment. By 1969 he had to leave BW. He was terribly missed on Bewitched because he created the role. But Dick Sargent stepped in and kept the show alive. It's nothing either of them planned. It's just what happened. I wish York had been able to heal and go back to acting. I would have loved both York and Sargent to appear on some show later together. I wish they were both still with us and could tell us more about the BW years.