Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Classic Dramas/Dramedies > Little House on the Prairie
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Week 9 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: Hot in Cleveland to End; Netflix Picks up Tina Fey Comedy; Wonder Years Season 2 DVDs
Fox Mid-Season 2015 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of November 24, 2014)
INSP Gets Walker, Texas Ranger; ABC, Fox Mid-Season New Show Premieres
TBS Orders 22 More Episodes for American Dad!; Hulu Orders Amy Poehler Comedy
Pop Launches Jan. 14, 2015 with 90210, Melrose Place; Mike & Molly Returns Monday, Dec. 8 on CBS
Honeymooners on Thanksgiving on WPIX in NY; Bounce TV Sitcom Family Time Striving in 2nd Season

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Review
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #16
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Merlin Olsen (Jonathan Garvey)
Merlin Olsen is famous for being a fearless NFL player with the L.A. Rams until 1976, which earned him a spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1982.

After his football career, he went on to play farmer Jonathan Garvey on 'Little House' and then went on to star in NBC's short-lived series 'Father Murphy' in the early '80s, in which he played a traveling priest. Olsen's deep, rich voice and sincerity made him a success both as an actor and in the broadcast booth, where he offered insights to the game he played so well for so long.

In 2009, he was diagnosed with mesothelioma and filed a lawsuit against NBC and 20th Century Fox for allegedly exposing him to asbestos. Olsen passed away in 2010 at the age of 69.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gal_watn_prairie_olsen.jpg (59.8 KB, 0 views)

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 10-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #17
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Kyle Richards, Todd Bridges and Shannen Doherty (Supporting Cast)
Kyle Richards had a bit part as Mr. Edwards' adopted daughter, Alicia Sanderson Edwards, on 'Little House.' Prior to that she appeared in 'Halloween' as one of the kids Jamie Lee Curtis babysits. She recently appeared as Nurse Dori in 'ER' but the 41-year-old is perhaps best known as an aunt to Nicky and Paris Hilton. She currently stars in hit series, 'The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.'

Todd Bridges appeared in a small role on 'Little House' but the child actor went on to gain fame as Willis Jackson on 'Diff'rent Strokes.' He has appeared on several competition shows including 'Fear Factor,' 'Celebrity Championship Wrestling' and 'Skating with Celebrities.' Earlier this year he released the book 'Killing Willis' in which he discussed his drug addiction and brushes with the law.

Shannen Doherty won the role of Jenny Wilder on 'Little House' at the age of 11. As a teen, she went on to star in 'Girls Just Want to Have Fun' and 'Heathers,' but she is most famous for her role as Brenda Walsh on 'Beverly Hills, 90210,' to which she returned last year for show's new spin-off series. The 39-year-old actress is also well known for her role as witch Prue Halliwell in 'Charmed.'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gal_split_watn_prairie_guest_stars.jpg (81.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #18
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

Very cool Monika! I had no idea Shannen Doherty was on Little House?!

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 10-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #19
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Yup, she was on the last season aka A New Beginning.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #20
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Yup, she was on the last season aka A New Beginning.

very cool!
Old 10-03-2011, 03:36 AM   #21
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

In real life, there is no love lost between Melissa Gilbert and Shannen Doherty - mainly because Shannen slept with Melissa's first husband Bo Brinkman - when Melissa was still married to him!!! This according to Melissa's book, Prairie Tale.

Anyway, here are some pics of Shannen on LH:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JennyWilder.jpg (50.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg pam3.jpg (59.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PHOTO_1150514_2827_1871587_main.jpg (55.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Grieving at the site.JPG (31.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg sd1.jpg (45.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg kjhuio.jpg (64.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gftyu.jpg (77.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #22
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Keep Calm & Write Fan Fiction

Location: Seattle-Hometown of Frasier and Niles Crane, KACL and Cafe Nervosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
In real life, there is no love lost between Melissa Gilbert and Shannen Doherty - mainly because Shannen slept with Melissa's first husband Bo Brinkman - when Melissa was still married to him!!! This according to Melissa's book, Prairie Tale.

Wow I must have missed that part in the book, Monika! But in all honesty I really didn't care for her book that much, so I didn't bother finishing it.

But anyway, thanks for posting all these articles and pics! Awesome to know what the stars are up to now, but it's sad to see how many have passed away. I noticed that Mrs. and Mr. Olson weren't on that list, though. Or Miss Beadle for that matter. Just sayin'.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #23
McGillicuddy

Yeah, why do they include Anne Archer and Todd Bridges, who made one-time guest appearances, but leave out Katherine MacGregor (Mrs. Oleson); Richard Bull (Mr. Oleson); Charlotte Stewart (Miss Beadle); Jonathan Gilbert (Willie Oleson); Linwood Boomer (Adam Kendall); Hersha Parady (Alice Garvey); Patrick Laborteaux (Andy Garvey); Ketty Lester (Hester Sue); Jason Bateman ( James Cooper) and Missy Francis (Cassandra Cooper).

It was an interesting article though!!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #24
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Jonathan Gilbert seems to be the one who flies under everyone's radar - no one seems to know where he is these days, including Melissa. As for not tracking down the others, your guess is as good as mine.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #25
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Here's another "where are they now?" article from ABC news:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...y?id=14386742#

By LUCHINA FISHER
Aug. 26, 2011

Melissa Gilbert/Laura Ingalls

Melissa Gilbert, who famously played Laura Ingalls on that quaint family drama "Little House on the Prairie," is dealing with her own real-life family drama.

Gilbert, 47, filed for divorce from Bruce Boxleitner, 61, moving to end their 16-year marriage five months after they announced their separation, according to The Associated Press.

The petition filed earlier this week cited "irreconcilable differences" as the reason. Gilbert is also seeking joint custody of their 15-year-old son, Michael Boxleitner, named after Gilbert's "Little House" creator and star Michael Landon, who played her father.

"We have loved each other for a very long time," Gilbert said in March, "and we share four incredible sons together."

In addition to Michael, Boxleitner and Gilbert have one son, Dakota, from her previous marriage to actor Bo Brinkman, and two other sons, Sam and Lee, from Boxleitner's first marriage to actress Kathryn Ogilvy.

Gilbert's sister, "The Talk" co-host Sara Gilbert, 36, has also split from her partner of 10 years, Allison Adler, 44, according to People. They will share joint custody of their two children, Levi and Sawyer.

A former president of the Screen Actors' Guild, Melissa Gilbert grew up in a Hollywood family. After starring in dozens of television commercials, she landed the role of Laura Ingalls on "Little House" at age 8. Michael Landon became a surrogate dad to her when her own father died.

By her late teens, Gilbert rebelled against her perfect prairie girl image. She describes her battles with drug and alcohol abuse and co-dependence on men in her 2009 memoir "Prairie Tale."

Gilbert, who was once engaged to Rob Lowe, also dated John Cusack, Billy Idol and Tom Cruise.

Known as the "Queen of television movies and mini-series," Gilbert has starred in over 45 of them since the mid-'70s. She can also be seen touting hair care products on late-night infomercials.

Here's what's become of her former "Prairie" co-stars since the show ended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abc_melissa_gilbert_jef_110826_wb.jpg (28.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gty_gilbert_boxleitner_jef_110826_wl.jpg (7.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #26
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Alison Arngrim/Nellie Oleson

Laura Ingalls and her nemesis Nellie Oleson may have scrapped on screen, but off camera Alison Arngrim, who played Nellie, was best friends with Gilbert.

"I had an intense, wonderful friendship with Melissa, who became a sister to me," Arngrim, now 49, told ABCNews.com last year.

Arngrim, who played Nellie during the series' original seven-year run, still gets e-mails from "Prairie" fans who say the show became their substitute family during their "horrible childhoods."

"Well, it was the same for me," she said.

In her recent book, "Confessions Of A Prairie Bitch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson And Learned To Love Being Hated," Arngrim revealed how she was sexually abused as a child, and how the role of bad girl Nellie helped her to heal. She also shared behind-the-scenes tales of one of the world's most beloved series.

Arngrim wrote that she was abused by a family member for nearly three years starting at age 6. The abuse made her, an already diminutive girl, even more shy and withdrawn.

That changed when Arngrim got the part of scheming brat Nellie Oleson at age 11.

"People were suddenly intimidated by me," Arngrim said.

Other times, she was reviled like her character. Since age 11, Angrim has been called "bitch." She's been spat on, pelted with garbage and beaten up.

But thanks to Nellie, Arngrim found an outlet for the rage that had been building since her abuse -- a secret she kept from her parents until her twenties.

"When you're sexually abused you have a lot of anger," she said. "Usually victims turn the pain and rage on themselves. So to have an outlet where one could express this anger outwardly and openly was a fantastic opportunity."

Arngrim is grateful for Nellie. "Instead of her ruining my life, she gave me my life."

Coming from a show business family -- her father, Thor Arngrim, managed Liberace and her mother, Norma Macmillan, provided the voice for Casper the Friendly Ghost and Gumby -- Arngrim got to experience "normal family life" on the "Little House" set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abc_alison_arngrim_jef_110826_wb.jpg (32.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #27
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Michael Landon/Charles Ingalls

Michael Landon, who played Charles "Pa" Ingalls and produced the series, was very much the set's father figure.

"He saw to it that the rules were obeyed," Arngrim said. "We said 'yes, sir' and 'yes, ma'am.' We had to know our lines. We were held to a higher standard."

At the same time, Landon was nothing like the prairie dad he played.

"He was divorced and married several times," Arngrim said. "He lived in Bel Air and Malibu, attended the Playboy Jazz Festival, drove a Ferrari, smoked and drank. He had this wild sense of humor on set that really shocked people."

For one thing, he had an "unsaintly" habit of showing up without underwear on the set.

Landon was a fixture on the small screen. In 28 years, he starred in three successful television series: "Bonanza" in the '60s and early '70s, "Little House" in the '70s and early '80s, and "Highway to Heaven" in the '80s.

He married three times and was father to nine children and stepchildren. In April 1991, he was diagnosed with an inoperable form of pancreatic cancer. Appearing on "The Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson, he asked his fans to pray for him.

He died July 1, 1991 at age 54.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abc_michael_landon_jef_110826_wb.jpg (27.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #28
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Melissa Sue Anderson/Mary Ingalls

Melissa Sue Anderson, who played Gilbert's on-screen sister Mary, wanted nothing to do with Gilbert and Arngrim.

"Melissa and I were wild and fun loving," Arngrim said. "Melissa Sue just looked at us and shook her head."

Anderson won the role of Mary at age 11 after appearing in several television commercials and guest starring on "The Brady Bunch." She left "Little House" in 1982 and appeared in a few television series, including "The Equalizer" and "Murder, She Wrote."

After a short romance with Lorenzo Lamas and Frank Sinatra, Jr., Anderson, now 47, married television writer and producer Michael Sloan. They have two children and live in Canada.

Anderson has continued to act occasionally, mostly in television movies. Her most recent role was playing the first lady in the 2006 NBC miniseries "10.5: Apocalypse."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abc_melissa_sue_anderson_jef_110826_wb.jpg (26.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #29
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Katherine MacGregor/Mrs. Oleson

Katherine MacGregor is still beloved for her comedic role as Mrs. Oleson on "Little House."

"That woman's a genius," Arngrim told ABCNews.com. "She's absolutely hilarious."

Now 85, she retired from acting after the series ended. Arngrim said she still takes in stray animals and people and "she's still bossing everyone around."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ap_katherine_macgregor_jef_110826_wb.jpg (23.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #30
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.

Cool

This has been a fun thread to read through. It's been great catching up with the stars of this classic series. Thank-you Monika for posting all this!

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin