Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
The Flying Dutchmans

Default What I Didn't Like About Happy Days

As the seasons went on, the guys and some girls started to dress like it was the 70s. Now I know this show originated in the 70s, but it was about the 50s and after awhile I didn't see much of the 50s in the way they dresed.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
FredV
Occasional Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to FredV

In its' final seasons the show actually started to branch off into the 1960's and I think by it's final season it was within the 1965-67 period. Laverne & Shirley in it's final season was set in 1967. I do agree that too much of the 1970's was showing up in the series, especially in the hairstyles.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

I agree with you, the show was supposed to be ending in the 60s but none of the hair styles or clothes matches. Only the early seasons 1, and 2 were they true to the styles from the 1950s and haircuts, cars, etc.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
FredV
Occasional Poster

Watching the final seasons reruns on The Hub I kept wondering what was up with Flip's attire. I know Garry Marshall was trying to appeal to the teeny bopper crowd, including having Chachi wear that ridiculous bandana around his leg to try and start a trend, but I wondered a little about what audience he was aiming for with Flip's get-up. I think it's no surprise that the character was dropped after Joanie and Chachi returned to the cast.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
The Flying Dutchmans

I know Joanie's hairstyle when the show started was of the 50s. I saw a girl in the roller rink scene of the Buddy Holly story that reminded me so much of the young Joanie in happy days and she even had the same exact hairstyle, but it wasn't Erin Moran, but she did look alot like her. I wonder if Happy days was where they got the idea for that scene in the buddy holly story.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
Yong Fang

Reasons I disliked this show.

The "kids" Ralph Malph, Potsie and Richie were far too old to be high schoolers. Ron Howard was 21 when the show began. Welcome Back Kotter had the same problem.

The show became the Fonzie show.

Everything in this show either took place in the Cunningham house or in Al's (or Arnold's Drive In) Drive In. When this show became a hit, they could have had more sets.

The 1970's hairstyles in a show that took place in the late 1950's/early 1960's.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
FredV
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchmans
I know Joanie's hairstyle when the show started was of the 50s. I saw a girl in the roller rink scene of the Buddy Holly story that reminded me so much of the young Joanie in happy days and she even had the same exact hairstyle, but it wasn't Erin Moran, but she did look alot like her. I wonder if Happy days was where they got the idea for that scene in the buddy holly story.

The Buddy Holly Story was released in 1978 and was fairly accurate in it's portrayal of the 50's. Happy Days began in 1974, and the earlier seasons were much more accurate in regard to the 50's and early 60's.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
old grouch

If you watch movies and TV shows from the early and mid 60's, they had some pretty cool styles. And Jackie Kennedy was also a trendsetter during that era. Instead, viewers of 'Happy Days' got stuck with Joanie's poodle hair do and Flip's half shirt.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Chachi was the real howler for me. That long, feathered hair in the early to mid 60's?? No way. Yes, I know the Beatles had similar hair but that was NOT Midwest America and it was later, around 63 to 64.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Chachi's haircut was awful and don't EVENget me started on that goofy red bandana on his leg and were denim jackets popular in the 60s?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:17 AM   #11
Avilos
Frequent Poster

Our perceptions of the true fashions of past time periods are really just generalizations. Based on a limited number of photos and some movies and tv shows of those times. But think of the vast diversity of our own time. Whether its based on income or areas from urban to rural. Or different ages groups and ethnicities. But what is remembered of the past is often just a small group, usually the fads of the time.

On Denim jackets, I just did a google search and they have been made for common people and popular in mostly the same style since the 1940's!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
dave insinga
Forum Regular

Default changing styles

yeah the show strayed away from the whole 50s style in actuality in the final episode first scene you see joanie ,chachi, and there respected dates in KINKS TOUR 1966 shirts but again the writers tried to keep it interesting so maybe thats why it seemed more like a 70s or even an 80s show.I didnt mind it because i loved the characters on the show not so much the time period it was
suppose to be happening.the first couple seasons were more like the 50s and that whole AMERICAN GRAFITI theme. The whole music thing probably started costing too much money so thats probably part of it also.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #13
visaman666
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredV
In its' final seasons the show actually started to branch off into the 1960's and I think by it's final season it was within the 1965-67 period. Laverne & Shirley in it's final season was set in 1967.

Yeah, they chose to ignore the whole JFK assassination.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

What I DID like about the Fonz was early episodes he wore a "WORN" broken in leather jacket. It was a cool jacket, and I'm not sure if the jacket was black or brown because it looks different in different lighting, but in the Smithsonian (if it is real) the jacket is brown? Now I know they said they used 3 different jackets for the TV show. Which one was given to the musuem? I dunno? I'm guessing because when the show started Henry was 29 and was like 40 when it ended and I'm sure his waist went from a 30 to a 36 probably so he needed a new wardrobe? At the end of the show his jacket was new a shiny and not good.

In the Later episodes I noticed, was his jeans were true worn blue jeans that were faded and were cool looking. At the end, they were stone washed light blue iron with a crease almost looked like khaki pants? Also he wore actual motorcycle boots in the early seasons, but at the end he wore black shoes? And they changed Fonzies hair style too from the earlier episodes too? And I liked it when it was filmed in front of a live studio audience, then they went to a studio audience in later years, why? Because no one would go or rating were so low at the end of season 10?
Old 02-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

This is when the Fonz was young and cool

Then look how he ended up....

Another photo showing different hair cut ironed jeans, jacket looks brand new, he's just not as cool as he was in seasons 1,2,3 or 4 and those are not motorcycle boots any longer. I'm sorry but I notice these things. I guess 10 years will really age you?

I also did not like the black T-shirt years. They never explained why he switched from white T-shirts to black anyway? I suppose somewhere within the 10 year span there was young cool Fonzie and then at some point he got old and the show was just sad. I think when Richie and Ralph left the show, they really should have ended it. It just was not the same. It was pathetic seeing Potsie hanging around Arnold's with nothing to do, and Lori Beth looked lost with no direction. It was weird.

Last edited by antman67 : 02-14-2012 at 05:25 PM.