Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hazel links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hazel Photo Gallery

Hazel - The Complete First Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete First Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Second Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Third Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Hazel
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Steve E
Occasional Poster

Default Harriet & Herbert Johnson (Norma Varden & Donald Foster)

I love Donald Foster and Norma Varden as Mr. and Mrs. Johnson,the "idle rich" neighbors of Hazel and the Baxter family.I think they are very funny...the "upper crust" of society,yet completely inept at doing the most ordinary household tasks.Heck,in a season one episode,they are only vaguely aware of what an electrical outlet is for!

I wish they would've had their own spin-off series...it had sitcom classic written all over it!

Both were excellent character actors,and appeared in many roles over the years.Among their many movie/TV credits,I've enjoyed them in episodes of:

Donald Foster:

Mike Hammer
The Addams Family
The Monkees
That Girl

Norma Varden:

I Love Lucy
How To Marry a Millionaire
Mister Ed
Batman

One of the things that I most like about 50's/60's TV is the vast array of great character actors that would appear across the television landscape.Foster & Varden were just two of the many memorable faces that helped to make shows from that era "Classic TV"!
Old 09-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
MichaelKeith
Forum Regular

You're right, their characters could have been developed into a sitcom of their own. It would have been very funny. Did they play the neighbors in later seasons also? I'm still waiting for Shout! Factory to release S2 on DVD.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Mrs. Johnson was also famous for appearing in the movie "Casablanca", she plays an English lady at an outdoor (as I recall) cafe. I think I also can remember at least Mr. Johnson appearing in a Perry Mason episode. They were perfect in their parts on Hazel.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
jehobden

Norma Varden also secured a place in movie history for playing the von Trapp family's maid in The Sound of Music.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
old grouch

The Johnsons are a hoot. I love the Thanksgiving episode where their maid has the day off and they are trying to make Thanksgiving dinner.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
retroTVfan4ever

The Johnsons are eccentric almost to the point of being strange. It's amazing to me that despite their wealth, they seem to have no clue or knowledge about anything. It's like they were living as if it were still the early 1900's instead of the 1960's. Shirley Booth and the rest of the cast was great, but those Johnsons were just plain weird. I don't care for them at all, I'm glad they didn't appear in too many Hazel episodes.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

I admit, not knowing what a plug is that you plug into a wall for electricity was a bit much. The writers did over-do it a bit with the Johnsons, as you say, surely by the '60's they would know how to plug in a wire to get power. They also never heard of screwing a light bulb to get light. Yeah, they were exaggerated, but what the hey, they were still fun.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:15 AM   #8
comedyfreak
Forum Veteran
Cheers!

Well if they were pampered from childhood it may be beliveable always having servants do everything to the point where you can't function without them.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by comedyfreak
Well if they were pampered from childhood it may be beliveable always having servants do everything to the point where you can't function without them.

Your point is valid, however I agree with the previous poster that the Johnsons were exaggerated as characters. They are way over the top, that's for sure.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
Ronny G
Forum Regular

I liked Norma Varden, but I didn't care for the guy who played her husband. The writers made him way too stupid, and the way he talks annoys me.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
Leslie Eckhardt
Banned!!
Banned

Nodsmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve E
I love Donald Foster and Norma Varden as Mr. and Mrs. Johnson,the "idle rich" neighbors of Hazel and the Baxter family.I think they are very funny...the "upper crust" of society,yet completely inept at doing the most ordinary household tasks.Heck,in a season one episode,they are only vaguely aware of what an electrical outlet is for!

I wish they would've had their own spin-off series...it had sitcom classic written all over it!

Both were excellent character actors,and appeared in many roles over the years.Among their many movie/TV credits,I've enjoyed them in episodes of:

Donald Foster:

Mike Hammer
The Addams Family
The Monkees
That Girl

Norma Varden:

I Love Lucy
How To Marry a Millionaire
Mister Ed
Batman

One of the things that I most like about 50's/60's TV is the vast array of great character actors that would appear across the television landscape.Foster & Varden were just two of the many memorable faces that helped to make shows from that era "Classic TV"!
I totally agree with you. My late Mother, who also loved "Hazel" said the same exact thing about how funny a spin-off with the Johnsons might have been.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:59 AM   #12
stanwyckfan07
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny G
I liked Norma Varden, but I didn't care for the guy who played her husband. The writers made him way too stupid, and the way he talks annoys me.
I agree with you, I've always enjoyed Norma Varden but I didn't care much for the husband's character.

Norma Varden's greatest claim to fame may be her snooty Lady Beekman in Marilyn Monroe's classic movie GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES (1953) which pairs Norma with Charles Coburn.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #13
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

I always remember Norma as Mrs Benson in the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy and Ricky change apartments.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:25 PM   #14
BiggieB
Occasional Poster

I knew Norma Varden at the end of her life. She and Donald Foster were actually signed for a spin-off series called "The Johnsons", but it never came to anything.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #15
MichaelKeith
Forum Regular

Interesting and it might have been a good show, but this was the late 1960s and advertisers were starting to go in for the youth market and both Varden and Foster were older so it may not have played well at that time.