Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cheers Central / Cheers links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Cheers Photo Gallery

Cheers - The Complete First Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete First Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Second Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Third Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Ninth Season

Buy Cheers - The Ninth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Tenth Season

Buy Cheers - The Tenth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Eleventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Eleventh Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Cheers
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

TV Land Picks Up Hilary Duff, Sutton Foster Sitcom; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Big News" Airing Tonight on Fox
Maude Mother's Day Marathon on Logo; WE tv 2014 Upfront
Week 29 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Simpsons Comes to FXX in Style; New Fox MOD Releases; Welcome Back, Kotter on DVD?
Stephen Colbert to Take Over Late Show on CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 14, 2014)
UP TV 2014 Upfront; TV Land Revives Candid Camera
The CW Schedules Sitcom This Summer from Online World; NBC's Comedy Playground Initiative: You Decide The Next Sitcom

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Lightbulb 'Cheers' Had BOTH The Greatest Spin-off & Worst Spin-Off in TV History!

The greatest spinoff of all time of course is Frasier and the worst is the lesser known (and deservedly so) The Tortellis.

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 08-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
TeeVeeCloset

I think it is all subjective of course, yes a good thread idea, but I would suggest Happy Days spinning Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, and the worst being Joanie Loves Chachi.....it has happened many times in TV Land!

BTW....I am a friend of actor Timothy Williams (Antony t), who after appearing on an episode of Saved By The Bell (the one where he dates Jessie and he is too short) plus many other one-shot rolls, he now lives happily outside of the California area with his wife and two children and continues to act, write and be a parttime house-husband.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
goose125
Frequent Poster

I don't know why they insist oh having these darn spinoffs when 99% of the time they never work. I never even knew they had a Tortelli spinoff.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
yankeesrj12

Speaking of Cheers, where did the huge audience spike between season one and two come from? The show started at the bottom of the barrel, but really increased as the series progressed. Did the show suddenly get better or did it just have a better timeslot?

How will they perform? Check out my predictions: http://goo.gl/kJhmAH
Old 08-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesrj12
Speaking of Cheers, where did the huge audience spike between season one and two come from? The show started at the bottom of the barrel, but really increased as the series progressed. Did the show suddenly get better or did it just have a better timeslot?

Brandon Tarikoff was involved with that.

He gave shows a 2nd chance rather than have them cancel altogether.

This world NEEDS more Brandon Tarikoffs in the TV world than having sell-outs!

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 08-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
goose125
Frequent Poster

Can't answer your question. However, I believe that there was nothing else on TV around that time and people just watched it and started really enjoying the show. I am glad it was given a second chance because I am really enjoying the first 5 yrs of the show. The rest of the episodes without Diane in them does not appeal to me even though I would take a peep at the episodes with Rebecca ever so often.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
Johnny be good!

Brandon Tartikoff was a great man.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #8
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Superbowl Bound! Go Hawks!

Location: The Emerald City-The home of 2014 NFC Championship Seattle Seahawks!

Of course I LOVE Frasier (more particularly Niles!), but I didn't even realize they had tried another spin off. I'm so glad that Frasier worked so well, though!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
Prince Michael
Frequent Poster

Cool

It's possible that Cheers only had a few viewers at first, and then more people heard about it and got interested in it, so the ratings went up . People told their friends about how good and funny it was, so word "got around" . My dad and I liked The Tortellis, but I can see if it didn't hit the right formula with most people . On the other hand, Frasier was a winner right out of the box .
Old 08-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #10
hawkeye123

I never even heard of the Tortellis lol But if they we're going to do a spin off the Tortellis. Why in the world wasn't Carla in it? She was the main Tortelli.
George Costanza: George Costanza as you know him, Ceases to Exist! You see, right now, I have Relationship George, but there is also Independent George. That's the George you know, the George you grew up with - Movie George, Coffee shop George, Liar George, Bawdy George.
Jerry Seinfeld: I, I love that George.
George Costanza: Me Too! And he's Dying Jerry! If Relationship George walks through this door, he will Kill Independent George! A George, divided against itself, Cannot Stand!
Old 08-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #11
Prince Michael
Frequent Poster

Cool

The Tortellis featured Nick, his beautiful "dumb -- blonde" wife, Loretta, Nick and Carla's son, Anthony, and Anthony's wife, Angie . They lived in Las Vegas . I'll bet Carla didn't want to leave Cheers . By the same token, if The Tortellis featured Nick, Loretta, AND Carla, there would have been too much of a rivalry between Loretta and Carla .
Old 08-03-2012, 03:31 AM   #12
hawkeye123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Michael
The Tortellis featured Nick, his beautiful "dumb -- blonde" wife, Loretta, Nick and Carla's son, Anthony, and Anthony's wife, Angie . They lived in Las Vegas . I'll bet Carla didn't want to leave Cheers . By the same token, if The Tortellis featured Nick, Loretta, AND Carla, there would have been too much of a rivalry between Loretta and Carla .

Oh I didn't know it took place when Cheers was still going. If I knew that it would have been self-explanatory. Why leave the greatest show of its time? Lol
I just meant that with Carla. It might have had a chance of succeeding. She was the best character of the Tortelliís by far.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #13
zypherix
Forum Regular

Carla, Cliff and Norm all appeared on the Tortellis, as guest characters. But gotta say, the show was truly awful.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
704Hauser
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Michael
It's possible that Cheers only had a few viewers at first, and then more people heard about it and got interested in it, so the ratings went up . People told their friends about how good and funny it was, so word "got around" . My dad and I liked The Tortellis, but I can see if it didn't hit the right formula with most people . On the other hand, Frasier was a winner right out of the box .

Bit of an unfair comparison regarding Cheers' and Frasier's first season ratings, don't you think? Frasier had the old audience of Cheers, amongst others, to attract when it premiered.

Cheers, on the other hand, premiered at a bad time for both sitcoms and NBC alike. I think Three's Company and M*A*S*H were the only sitcoms (the latter being more of a dramedy) in the Top 10 in 1982/83, and both of their best years were already behind them.
Psycho Dad, Psycho Dad, Psycho Dad.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #15
ajgenard
Forum Regular

I think part of why Frasier was so successful is because it bore little resemblance to Cheers. Instead of trying to copy a pre-established formula and take way too many elements from its predecessor, the creators of Frasier decided to take a totally different route. Every detail right down to an intentional lack of stools in Nervosa (to avoid resembling the bar) was taken into consideration. The only real similarity is the quality and style of writing which Joe Schmoe sitting on the couch probably wouldn't even pick up on.

I've only seen 1 episode of The Tortellis on YouTube a couple years ago but from that single episode it was apparent the show tried way too hard to capitalize on Cheers success. Man what a crappy show...