Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Without Roseanne is Official; Is a Revival of The Nanny in the Works?
Fri-Yay: Shows to Catch Up on This Summer; The Conners Coming to ABC Tuesdays This Fall
3rd Rock from the Sun Launches on Laff in July; The CW Fall 2018 Premiere Dates
NBC Fall 2018 Premiere Dates; Season 4 of Bounce Sitcom Premieres July 2
The History of Comedy Returns to CNN; Showtime Gets First Late Night Talk Show
Showtime Gets Don Cheadle Comedy; HBO Special Directed by Jerrod Carmichael Coming Soon
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 18, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Spinoff One Step Closer to Reality; Netflix to Air New Season of Lucifer
Fri-Yay: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Finally Finds Its Best Self; All About the Washingtons with Rev Run Coming to Netflix
Paramount Network Comedy Scores in Ratings; Stan Against Evil Returns on Halloween for Season 3

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)

Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season Step by Step - The Complete First Season Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
Janice
Lily & Cesar-In my Heart 4ever
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Question How much do you spend on groceries?

I can't believe how expensive food is these days. It's only my husband and myself, we spend about $200 a week. We have two cats, and even cat food is pricey. We also get take-out a couple of times a week. We don't eat a lot at all. Fruits and produce, a fortune.

Fortunately, I get our health and beauty items at CVS. With coupons and their specials, I haven't paid more than a dollar for toothpaste or shampoo in ages. I save money there.
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
Family Ties Forever!
Forum Veteran

It varies from week to week. I don't know how to cook so I buy a lot of frozen food and can goods. Thank goodness for microwaves, and toasters.

That's cool that you have saved so much with coupons at CVS Janice. Toothpaste, soap, shampoo, etc. It all adds up.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Our grocery bill averages about $150 each week. I try to use coupons as much as possible and I search the sale ads online each week to see which stores are offering the best deals. I also look for closeouts and unadvertised specials. I also buy toothpaste, mouthwash, deodorant and other such items at CVS and I try to do so when extra bucks are being offered. All snacks are purchased at Big Lots and the quality of the products there are just as good as if they came from the supermarket plus they have a wider selection and the prices are nearly half or more than what the stores charge.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
Brad Russ
Forum Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad Russ

We usually spend about $350.00 a month. that's for 6 people, me, my mom, Carl, Bret, and two homeless friends that are currently staying with us. Oh, and a dog, and a cat too. Unfortunately, in the last three months, we've had to spend our food money on bills though. Been using most of my check just to get a decent meal. Thank God for Snow Cap, which is about a three minute walk from our house. They're a charitable orgainization that supplies food for people who don't have much money. Never really gave much mind to them before, but they have saved us several times in the last three months. Definitely don't take that stuff for granted anymore! Great people working their too. We are blessed!!
Brad Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
tiredmike59

This economy is sure teaching us how to be cheapskates,
I had a headstart on everyone else,I was born that way.
tiredmike59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #6
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmike59
This economy is sure teaching us how to be cheapskates,
I had a headstart on everyone else,I was born that way.
For us, the economy has very little (if anything) to do with it. We've done this for years regardless of our financial situations.
Zoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:57 AM   #7
Fleet
Mansions, limousines & H-ween
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Fleet

It varies for me, too, but it's nowhere near $200/week. Probably more like $60-80/week.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

$30 to $50 a week. Really cant afford to spend more, so I live carefully.
MickeyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

Easily over $100 a week (if I were to divine a guess maybe $125-150).

But I don't mind, food is my medicine so eating well is important to me (as in fresh fruits and vegetables, Greek yogurt, fish and poultry.) The right foods keep my blood glucose and weight down.

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
bandito
Going Topless

just me and the wife.. about 175.00 a week.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
Brad Russ
Forum Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad Russ

We mostly live off boxed food, ramen, and generic brands. Don't know how it's generic. Oftentimes generic taste better then the name brands in my opinion. No complaints though. This is basically how we've lived for our whole lives, so it's not a big deal at all. I actually enjoy most boxed food. Once a week though Carl usually makes a special meal. He's an awesome cook!
Brad Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
Family Ties Forever!
Forum Veteran

Default U.S. Drought Drives Up Food Prices Worldwide

link

U.S. Drought Drives Up Food Prices Worldwide
UN report: Global corn prices surged nearly 23% in July
Author: Aaron Smith
Posted: Aug 9 2012 6:06 AM CDT Updated: Aug 9 2012 7:05 PM CDT

New York (CNNMoney) - The drought that's drying up the Heartland isn't just an American problem. It's causing food prices to surge worldwide. And it could get worse. "This is not some gentle monthly wake-up call, it's the same global alarm that's been screaming at us since 2008," said Colin Roche of Oxfam, noting that the drought could lead to food shortages for millions of people worldwide.

Food is a major U.S. export, so the drought affects prices around the globe.
"World leaders must snap out of their lazy complacency and realize the time of cheap food has long gone," Roche said. In July, food prices jumped 6%, after three months of declines, according to the United Nations' monthly Food Price Index released Thursday. The main drivers behind the increase? Grain prices. And more specifically, corn prices, which have hit record highs in recent weeks.

According to the U.N. report, global corn prices surged nearly 23% in July, exacerbated by "the severe deterioration of maize crop prospects in the United States, following drought conditions and excessive heat during critical stages of the crop development." "It's going to have a big impact [on consumers]," said Sam Zippin, an analyst at financial information firm Sageworks. "Corn is in almost everything."

Food prices have been creeping up throughout the United States, as hot temperatures across the Midwestern and Western parts of the nation have dried out crops and driven up the price of corn and grain. The U.N. index of cereal prices soared 17% last month, creeping closer to its all-time high set in April 2008. Paul McNamara, associate professor at the University of Illinois' College of Agriculture, said grain prices could rise still further, as cattle ranchers look for a substitute to corn, the most expensive feed.

Meat prices actually declined modestly, according to the U.N. report, but that was partly due to ranchers culling their herds to curb prices they have to pay for corn-based feed, McNamara said the increases in corn prices and the weak harvest will also put pressure on policymakers to change the current U.S. policy towards ethanol, which mandates that nearly 10% of the nation's fuel supply comes from corn.

Aside from corn, some of the most dramatic increases in food-flation were in the fats and oils because they use soybeans, which have also been hurt by the drought. And that translates into higher prices for margarine and peanut butter. The U.N.'s price index of oils and fats notched up 2% in July. And the price of sugar -- another household staple -- spiked 12% in July, though the U.S. drought wasn't to blame.

"The upturn was triggered by untimely rains in Brazil, the world's largest sugar exporter, which hampered sugarcane harvesting in July," said the U.N. "Concerns over delayed monsoon in India and poor precipitation in Australia also contributed to the price increase." What's next. Expect meat prices to move higher into next year as ranchers get their cattle inventories to manageable levels.

"You might have some extra supply this year as people liquidate their herds," said McNamara. "[But] you're going to have, a year from now, tighter supplies as people reduce their herds in the U.S." Going forward, the severity of food inflation depends on how long the drought in the United States lasts, as well as the weather conditions in major food-producing countries like India and Russia, said David Hallam, director of trade and markets for the U.N.'s Food and Agriculture Organization.

Hallam said the world food supply isn't as lean as it was during the international food crisis of 2007 and 2008, because, even though corn prices are prohibitively expensive, consumers have other foods to fall back on. For now. "If countries start unilaterally panic buying or restricting exports, that could make a bad problem worse," said Hallam. "The situation right now is one of heightened vulnerability to any future shocks."

Consumers will get a better idea of where prices are headed Friday, when the U.S. Department of Agriculture releases its World Agricultural Supply and Demand Estimates, which forecasts supply and demand for crops and livestock around the world.

Copyright 2012 by CNN NewSource. All rights reserved.
Family Ties Forever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #13
Miss Lisa

I would say about $150 a week. I'm part of a family of four, and my sister and I each have friends coming over here that eat our food too.

It seems like more money is spent on snacks rather than the actual meals. Noodles, sauce, certain fruits and vegetables, sometimes meat or chicken can be pretty cheap, especially when you check prices at different stores and cut coupons.

~♥~"No matter how big or soft or warm your bed is, you still have to get out of it."~♥~
- Grace Slick

http://deviantrose112.posterous.com/
Miss Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
RoryGilmore
Always and Forever

Send a message via MSN to RoryGilmore

For my fiance and I about $60 a week
And all along I believed, I would find you
Time has brought your heart to me, I have loved you for a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more
RoryGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
duckie

I speed about $150.00 a week. It would be cheaper but im not a very good cook, so I buy microwavable iteams and they are expensive. Plus, I eat out three or four times a week and that adds up.