Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Spike TV Schedule / Robert Stack Tribute / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

The CW Summer 2014 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 21, 2014)
Episodic Review: Community - "Basic Sandwich" Airing Tonight on NBC; FX Orders 3rd Season of The Americans, Solid Start for Fargo
Moesha Returns Daily to BET; NBC Schedules Maya Rudolph Variety-Comedy Special
TV Land Picks Up Hilary Duff, Sutton Foster Sitcom; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Big News" Airing Tonight on Fox
Maude Mother's Day Marathon on Logo; WE tv 2014 Upfront
Week 29 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Simpsons Comes to FXX in Style; New Fox MOD Releases; Welcome Back, Kotter on DVD?

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Default John Hardin, the murdered man and alleged ghost, my thoughts

For those who forgot, John Hardin was the guy whose ghose they thought was haunting this old house. The lady said she was having dreams about walking outside.

Then of course later they found out the man who previously lived in the house was John Hardin, and that someone set his vehicle on fire apparently to lure him out of the house and shot him.

Now, I'm not really going to focus to much on the ghost story. I've always had mixed feelings about ghosts since my religous beliefs teach that people either go to Heaven or Hell when they die, although I do believe there is something to ghost sightings even if its not neccessarily the spirit of a dead person. But I know others have mixed feelings about that as well.

But, what intrigued me more about this case was the murder. The Farina episode did not go into as much detail, but in the Robert Stack segment it seemed that I remember that it made it seem like John Hardin left his first wife for another woman pretty much out of nowhere. But yet they could not figure out a possible motive for his murder? Did they even look at the ex-wife? Seems like she had about as strong a motive as you could ask for.

Did anyone else find something a little strange about the ex wife? She was interviewed on the segment talked about what a wonderful guy he was, and yet it made it seem like he apparently just out of nowhere told her he was leaving her for another woman, does this seems strange to anyone else? Odd things to say about a guy who did that to you, makes me wonder if she wasn't just covering up her anger with him and had something to do with his death.

The murder itself was obviously very well planned, almost the caliber that you would expect from a professional hitman. I don't recall it saying much about John Hardin's profession or any bad business deals.

But does anyone else find it strange the police said they could find no motive for anyone wanting to kill John Hardin when the ex wife clearly had one? And her saying what a great guy he was if he left her cold?

Am I the only one that found this strange?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
Apostapler
Forum Regular

I can't say for sure, but I can't imagine the police not investigating her, since it would be an obvious motive. I never got the impression that she had anything to do with it. I think she was genuinely in love with him and still cared about him a great deal.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:39 AM   #3
Cori aka ChrisSCrush
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostapler
I can't say for sure, but I can't imagine the police not investigating her, since it would be an obvious motive. I never got the impression that she had anything to do with it. I think she was genuinely in love with him and still cared about him a great deal.

It seems to me in the interview she claimed not to know where he was at the time.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
sffan
Frequent Poster

I wonder why UM didn't go into the murder more. I think the wife is very suspect, but if it wasn't her it was extremely likely someone he knew.Hasn't it been 30 or so years since the murder? It [i]seems[i] like all the investigators would have to do is go down the list of everyone the family knew. I just think it is very unlikely it was a random murder because the killer set the mans car on fire- the killer knew who's it was and the killer got who he wanted down there and shot his/hers intended target.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
Cori aka ChrisSCrush
Forum Regular

Did the other woman in his life have a significant other who might have done this?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
justins5256

I will concur in the sense that I always thought Hardin's wife's appearance on the program was very odd. Not so much in a "had something to do with his death" kind of way...more like why would she agree to be interviewed for a program the focus of which is the ghost of her dead ex-husband?

I just found it unusual and can't imagine how I would react if someone seriously came to me out of the blue and said that one of my dead relatives was haunting some location and they wanted my thoughts on it.

As far as who killed Hardin - unfortunately, since the segment was so focused on the paranormal aspects we really aren't told much about Hardin or his life. I can't recall if it was even mentioned what he did for a living. That being said, it is difficult to come up with any solid deductions. I do think the murder was extremely well planned - either the work of a hitman or someone who just really give it a lot of thought. It was so obviously premeditated and not random, so Hardin pissed someone off. Unfortunately, since we are told next to nothing about Hardin it's difficult to ascertain who in his life would have had a reason to kill him.

For some reason, he struck me as a womanizer, or at least someone who had trouble forming healthy relationships with women, but that's just a gut feeling I got from the segment. I don't have much to base it on.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sffan
I wonder why UM didn't go into the murder more. I think the wife is very suspect, but if it wasn't her it was extremely likely someone he knew.Hasn't it been 30 or so years since the murder? It [i]seems[i] like all the investigators would have to do is go down the list of everyone the family knew. I just think it is very unlikely it was a random murder because the killer set the mans car on fire- the killer knew who's it was and the killer got who he wanted down there and shot his/hers intended target.

I can't recall what year they said the murder took place, but it has been awhile. Probably at least since the early 80's, maybe further back.

I doubt it will ever be solved unless someone confesses.

Or unless John's ghost tells who did it. It happened in the Alan Shaury case. (I know I didn't spell his name right, but he is the black guy who killed that Asian woman for her jewelry.)

Then again, its possible John never saw who the shooter was.

I may google this and see if I can find at least what year it took place.......I'll get back to you all.

Although I'm
Old 07-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Well I googled it, but just as soon as I did I remembered John Wesley Hardin the gunslinger so most of what I came up with was about him. Its always hard to find info on more obscure cases when they happen to have a name of someone more famous don't you all think?

But I did find an article someone posted on this message board awhile back and was able to find out the year of the murder which was 1975.

So its been 36 years which means the killer could definitely still be alive, but he's in his upper 50's at least and probably older.

Not out of the realm of possibility it could be solved, but pretty unlikely.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
dynoguy88

This was one of the more memorable ghost segments for me. I thought June Ferris' dreams and all the family accounts made for an interesting story. I also thought it was interesting how Robert Stack himself said that he and the Unsolved Mysteries crew witnessed some pretty crazy things that couldn't be explained in that house while they were filming the reenactment.

They probably chose to focus more on the ghost aspect because it wasn't until after the reenactment was filmed that the John Harden case was reopened by the Clermont Police. As for the murder itself, if Harden was a womanizer, it would have been very easy for him to make some enemies. Or maybe his second wife left a boyfriend or husband to be with Harden and the guy swore revenge. There could be more suspects than just the first wife.

Here are the pictures of the house that I put in the locations thread.

The right side of the house shows the driveway where John Harden was murdered.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
This was one of the more memorable ghost segments for me. I thought June Ferris' dreams and all the family accounts made for an interesting story. I also thought it was interesting how Robert Stack himself said that he and the Unsolved Mysteries crew witnessed some pretty crazy things that couldn't be explained in that house while they were filming the reenactment.

They probably chose to focus more on the ghost aspect because it wasn't until after the reenactment was filmed that the John Harden case was reopened by the Clermont Police. As for the murder itself, if Harden was a womanizer, it would have been very easy for him to make some enemies. Or maybe his second wife left a boyfriend or husband to be with Harden and the guy swore revenge. There could be more suspects than just the first wife.

Here are the pictures of the house that I put in the locations thread.

The right side of the house shows the driveway where John Harden was murdered.

Wow, good finds there, are those recent pics? Is Harden's house still standing today?

Kind of gives you cold chills, knowing about the murder and the hauntings.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
Tillshalligan
Occasional Poster

Default your question about Hardin's wife

How I understood the wife's account was that Hardin walked away one day but communicated to her beforehand that he needed to leave for some reason he chose not to disclose to her. I perceived it was due perhaps to a money or substance abuse problem he was having although I don't think she or UM specifically mentioned possible theories as to why he left.

I think she sort of understood that he was telling her in so many words he was going to be leaving and for whatever reason, she chose not to press him on it. She seemed like a sweet person who really loved him and just accepted it. She described him as being a wonderful type of person and didn't seem to have any complaints about him.

I was under the impression that he had walked away from his life there and only later, taken up with another woman, but not one he had left his first wife for.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
Killarney Rose
Forum Regular

I can't believe that I never heard about this when I lived there. It was only about 15 miles( if that) far west of where I lived. But Clermont was like another world...we did everything in Winter Garden which was east of us. I lived about halfway inbetween Winter Garden and Clermont. HWY 50 runs straight through both towns. I would love to read more details about the case.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
XCalibur
Forum Regular

This might be one of those threads where it would be nice to have a relative of either John Hardin, his ex wife, or even the woman he was living with show up. Someone who knew these people might be able to shed some light on what Hardin was like and why he might have left his wife, or even who might have killed him.

Of course this was in 1975 so many people who knew them are no longer with us, but its certainly possible.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
TheCars1986

Don't know if this article has been posted before or not, but it's one of the few things I can find on the murder of Harden, and not so much the supernatural element of the case:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...-police-hatley

Seems like police did have some possible suspects in mind, just not enough evidence to convict. I don't think the murder will be solved without a confession or possible break in DNA though.