Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Fall Pilot Review: Bad Judge - Premieres Thursday, Oct. 2; Antenna TV's Hitch-O-Ween Marathon on Halloween
ABC Fall Pilot Review: Manhattan Love Story - Premieres Tuesday, Sept. 30; ABC Family Picks Up Young & Hungry for 2nd Season, and New Drama
ABC Fall Pilot Review: Selfie - Premieres Tuesday, Sept. 30; Starz Gives Us Sampling of LeBron James Produced Comedy
Week 1 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: Hub Network to Rebrand; Mork & Mindy to be Completed on DVD?
CBS Doubles Up on Big Bang on Mondays, Moves Mom; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of September 29, 2014)
Bounce TV Fall 2014 Info; Vintage SNL to Air in Primetime on Saturday Nights

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)

New Girl - The Complete Season Three The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season

09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/11 - Growing Up Fisher - Season One
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
catlover0908
Occasional Poster

Default Bonanza and Gunsmoke on TV Land

I recently saw a post on TV Land's message board that both Bonanza and Gunsmoke's contracts expire 8/31/11.

Does anyone know if the contracts have been renewed? Those 2 westerns have been a constant on the network for so long it breaks my heart that they might go off...
Old 06-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
clj2

I was going to comment somewhere that TV Land's new slogan is "Laugh More." It's even below the bug on the screen. I could not help but wonder if they will eliminate the drama programming eventually.

Gunsmoke and Bonanza do air on MeTV, if you get it....

Old 06-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
dangfish
Frequent Poster

Gunsmoke also airs on the encore western channel. They show it uncut and commercial free.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:28 AM   #4
TV Knowledge Fan

Default The difference is...

...that "Encore Westerns" have the rights to schedule the first five hour-long black and white seasons of "GUNSMOKE" (1961-'66), 'dangfish', while "TV Land" has the color episodes (1966-'75) only. Considering the fact that "TV Land" has virtually "butchered" those episodes in recent years, including replacing the original closing credits with their own at the bottom of the screen, during the final scenes...perhaps it's just as well that it's time to "retire" them for now.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:25 AM   #5
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

I personally, do NOT give a rats *** what TV LAND does!!!!

from CHEERS-
Coach: "Norm, how come you & Vera never had any kids?"
Norm: "I can't Coach."
Coach: "Oh gee, I'm sorry"
Norm: "I look at Vera and I just...can't."
Old 06-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
retrofan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by clj2
I was going to comment somewhere that TV Land's new slogan is "Laugh More." It's even below the bug on the screen. I could not help but wonder if they will eliminate the drama programming eventually.

Gunsmoke and Bonanza do air on MeTV, if you get it....

If that is the case, I hope Extreme Makeover goes too. LOL.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Regulus

Location: Nova Catacumba Exhibition Facility on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon. Avatar - A Blivet/Poiuyt/Widget

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky

IMHO, I do NOT give a Rat's Arse what PAY-TV Does!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
bencasey

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky

Agreed. The shows are cut beyond recognition anyway so what difference does it make what they air.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:57 AM   #9
tiredmike59

The only ones " laughing more " is TVLAND, at the people paying to watch their channel.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
IllinoisTVFan
Forum Regular

I don't know how true this is, but I have heard they plan on getting rid of ALL their older shows once the contracts expire no matter how popular the show is. At one time the most popular shows were Gunsmoke, Bonanza and Andy Griffith Show on the station. However, these shows tend to get older viewers and as been mentioned, TVLAND wants a younger audience. I wonder if the fact that Me-TV picked up the rights (though they had the local rights before Me-TV went national)also signals an end to these shows.

All of this is speculation but I suspect they will let the contracts expire.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
retrofan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisTVFan
I don't know how true this is, but I have heard they plan on getting rid of ALL their older shows once the contracts expire no matter how popular the show is. At one time the most popular shows were Gunsmoke, Bonanza and Andy Griffith Show on the station. However, these shows tend to get older viewers and as been mentioned, TVLAND wants a younger audience. I wonder if the fact that Me-TV picked up the rights (though they had the local rights before Me-TV went national)also signals an end to these shows.

All of this is speculation but I suspect they will let the contracts expire.

If it is younger viewers they want, why are they airing shows that feature old people? All of their new originals feature mainly older actors.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
IllinoisTVFan
Forum Regular

That part I don't get either, but it has been mentioned on their forums they want younger. But if that's the case why do they have Hot In Cleveland and Happily Divorced? Maybe because they own the rights to those shows (ie DVD sales for example). That's just a guess.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #13
gidgetgrape
We've gone spooky!

Bringing back Leave It To Beaver is a good sign.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:29 AM   #14
DSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisTVFan
I wonder if the fact that Me-TV picked up the rights (though they had the local rights before Me-TV went national)also signals an end to these shows.

That's irrelevant. ME-TV isn't a cable channel like TV Land is so it doesn't really apply. TV Land's programming decisions will not at all be based on anything ME-TV does.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #15
ekkostar
Coffee, Tea & Larroquette!

Send a message via Yahoo to ekkostar

I could say "If they're looking for comedy bring back Night Court" but not so much after I've seen the handling of The Nanny. I just love that they only show 3 seasons and skip over a ton of episodes. Then again they treated NC the same way near the end, only showing a handful of Season 5 and 6 episodes.

"All my sitcoms had an audience, with four or five cameras, so working this way has always been appealing to me." - John Larroquette

A living legend, five Emmys and a Tony award! Your favorites could never...