Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Bewitched (Sitcoms Online) / Bewitched links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Bewitched Photo Gallery

Bewitched - The Complete First Season (B&W)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete First Season (B&W) on DVD
(Mill Creek)
Bewitched - The Complete First Season (Color)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete First Season (Color) on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (B&W)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (B&W) on DVD
(Mill Creek)
Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (Color)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (Color) on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Third Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Series

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Bewitched
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV Goes One Step Beyond on Halloween; FX Unveils Simpsons World
Hogan's Heroes Returns to TV Land; CBS All Access Service Includes Classic TV
Week 4 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: CBS Introduces CBS All Access; Even More Remakes of Classic TV Series Under Consideration; New Family Guy DVDs
Friends Coming to Netflix in January 2015; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of October 20, 2014)
Sitcom Alum Neil Patrick Harris to Host 2015 Oscars; Yahoo! Orders Another Comedy, This Time From Bridesmaids Producer
Malin Akerman Vegas Comedy Coming to Yahoo!; All in the Family Seasons 1-4 on iTunes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 01:40 AM   #16
retroTVfan4ever

I think longevity would have something to do with it. Elizabeth Montgomery and Dick York were husband and wife on Bewitched for five seasons. The Munsters ran only two seasons. So it stands to reason that Liz and Dick would have developed a closer friendship during five years than any of The Munsters cast during two years. If that wasn't the case, then maybe the two of them didn't really enjoy working together and when Dick left the show due to health reasons, they just went their separate ways and that was it.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:37 AM   #17
Larry Tate

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
I think longevity would have something to do with it. Elizabeth Montgomery and Dick York were husband and wife on Bewitched for five seasons. The Munsters ran only two seasons. So it stands to reason that Liz and Dick would have developed a closer friendship during five years than any of The Munsters cast during two years. If that wasn't the case, then maybe the two of them didn't really enjoy working together and when Dick left the show due to health reasons, they just went their separate ways and that was it.

The thing is that Fans have to understand that the actors and the characters are not one and the same, that they are essentially two different entities.

The fans see the characters interacting with a premise that they love and they want that to be recreated in real life, even when it is not the case often they still want to see it as being so when it is not.

Whenever you see these 20 years later get togethers on TV of casts of long running TV shows they invariably comment that they had not see so & so or anyone on the cast in decades or since their show wrapped, this is the case in the vast majority of members of any cast, to be otherwise is rather unusual and the exception to the rule.

This is the case on many shows that were on much longer then 5 years.

It has been widely and well known that Liz & York never socialized or spent any time with each other away from the set the way she did ofen on a regular basis with Dick Sargent.

Why, because she & Dick Sargent were close friends while she & Dick York were not friends at all.

The thing is that the bottom line in it is that pretty much all of any cast just go their own way and it would have been unusual and the exception for Liz & York to have maintained any contact or social interaction after the show ended.

York was odd & strange and not Liz's cup of tea, i don't think she disliked him but i don't think she liked him either, they just worked together.

Larry Tate

Old 09-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #18
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Tate
The thing is that Fans have to understand that the actors and the characters are not one and the same, that they are essentially two different entities.

The fans see the characters interacting with a premise that they love and they want that to be recreated in real life, even when it is not the case often they still want to see it as being so when it is not.

Whenever you see these 20 years later get togethers on TV of casts of long running TV shows they invariably comment that they had not see so & so or anyone on the cast in decades or since their show wrapped, this is the case in the vast majority of members of any cast, to be otherwise is rather unusual and the exception to the rule.

This is the case on many shows that were on much longer then 5 years.

It has been widely and well known that Liz & York never socialized or spent any time with each other away from the set the way she did ofen on a regular basis with Dick Sargent.

Why, because she & Dick Sargent were close friends while she & Dick York were not friends at all.

The thing is that the bottom line in it is that pretty much all of any cast just go their own way and it would have been unusual and the exception for Liz & York to have maintained any contact or social interaction after the show ended.

York was odd & strange and not Liz's cup of tea, i don't think she disliked him but i don't think she liked him either, they just worked together.

Larry Tate

I wouldn't expect Liz and Dick to be in love with each other, but since they worked closely together for five years, the belief is that they would have had some sort of friendship after their time working together ended. Since it seems they didn't, and if they never spoke to each other again, draws the conclusion that they didn't really enjoy working together. Either she didn't like working with him, or he didn't like working with her, maybe it was a combination of both.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:54 AM   #19
Larry Tate

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
I wouldn't expect Liz and Dick to be in love with each other, but since they worked closely together for five years, the belief is that they would have had some sort of friendship after their time working together ended. Since it seems they didn't, and if they never spoke to each other again, draws the conclusion that they didn't really enjoy working together. Either she didn't like working with him, or he didn't like working with her, maybe it was a combination of both.

There are many examples where two people worked superbly together creatively yet personally cound not stand each other.

Fred & Ethel from I Love Lucy is a good example as are Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepard among many.

So their superb work together had little to do with the way they personally interacted which could have spanned the entire range of possbilities in that sense while performing so well in character within the show.

I think it was more a case of her not being entranced by him then anything else.

Larry Tate

Old 09-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #20
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
Was she asked about Dick York when he died? If she said "no comment" then I do think that reflects on her. If nobody asked her then I could see her not saying anything. But even people that lose touch with someone sometimes coments on their death. As for what York said back in 1971, that's silly to hold a grudge over that for all those years.

RIGHT ON!

Old 11-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #21
gopyle
Frequent Poster

I suppose there are those who feel bad if the stars of a show they liked are found to not have a good or continuing relationship once the show ends. It doesn't seem unusual to me. People move on, whether in Hollywood or elsewhere.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:27 AM   #22
DarkDante
W/ A Lil' Help From My Friends

Quote:
There does not have to be a black hat and a white hat in such an outcome.

I think this basically sums it up as well as it can be summed up. The end of Dick York's life is just very sad. There is no way around it and I think as fans we want to hold someone responsible for what he had to endure but it's really one of those things in life that wasn't anyone's fault and just was allowed to happen and shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

In a perfect world, Dick York would've never gotten hurt or if he did there would have been treatment available to him that would've allowed him to continue his career until he chose to retire instead of being forced out of the industry because of an injury. I hate to use such a worn out expression but the phrase "out of sight and out of mind" does hold some merit here.

York left the industry in 1969 and never really returned while Liz and the rest of the cast got on with their careers. It sounds cold but I'm sure that wasn't the intent. As the years wore on and Dick's condition worsened the friends and colleagues he made while in Hollywood probably had been out of contact with him for many years and therefore had no way of knowing how dire his situation had become.

Also something else that struck me about York, was he didn't seem like one who would solicit handouts. I mean I think it would be hard for anyone who has fallen on hard times to contact people out of the blue most of whom you haven't kept in touch with for twenty years to essentially ask for financial aid. I don't think many people would have the stomach to do that.

The whole thing is just extremely sad and as fans I'm not sure if it does any good for us to try to find a villain in all of this. I think as pollyanna as this might sound we should try to enjoy the wonderful body of work left for us by these fantastic actors and if financially possible continue Dick's work by not forgetting about those less fortunate than us.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #23
Mark Glicker
Frequent Poster

Quote:
After 25 years of not having anything to do with someone who was never a friend but merely someone she worked with compared to a close longtime personal friend that Dick Sargent was to Liz clearly shows why Liz commented on Dick Sargent's passing as she did as well re close friends Alice Pierce & Agnes Moorehead but did not re Dick Yorks passing as she did not about other members of the cast who passed away such as Paul Lynde (whose funeral she did not attend) and others.

There was no need to make a Public comment on Dick Yorks passing all these decades later & who contributed what success to the show has zero to do with who she should have commented on or not, it should be passed on personal feelings not rating points & $$$$ garnered by a cast member the is irrelevant.

She did not rave about Dick Sargent she spoke very positively about him when he was on the show as she did about Dick York when he was on the show.

She was contacted by the press after DS passed but i don't believe the same interest was there with the media in that respect with DY when he passed in regards to contacting Liz then.

She had no reaction to Dick York's passing but then why would she?????...........as this was by then 25 years later a complete stranger who she simply had once worked with and had not seen or interacted with in almost 25 years, plus at the end Dick York made some very unkind comments towards the show & therefore indirectly towards Liz so her reaction of no comment is the only logical & rational one she could have made.

The fact that in the spring of 1969 when he asked back into the show after leaving, was denied & then said about Liz & the show in an interview about the unpleasant atmosphere on the set, how he was unhappy with how he was being used in the show as in underused & how he wanted to go onto other & better things sure would have made Liz say throughout those 25 years hey i got to give good ol Dick a call, i don't think sooooooooooo.

In the 1988 book "Whatever became of?", York stated: "I left in an amulance and never returned. The atmosphere on the set of Bewitched was extremely unpleasant. I never missed that show."

Dick Sargent had been a longtime close personal friend who she had been very close to in the half dozen or so years prior to his passing so her comment on his passing was a natural & logical one.
Bottom line is that Liz & Dick York worked together & Brilliantly i might add, but there never was a close personal Friendship or any relationship to continue, nor were they friends at all.

You have to understand that they were real people who were actors playing roles that were not them, they were not Samantha & Darrin in real life, sometimes people get that reality confused.

This is not unusual as one could say the same thing about any cast member & the majority of the cast & as well about anyone & most of those that they work with her their never having any contact again after his leaving the show is perfectly natural in my view.

This doesn't mean they liked or disliked each other, they merely worked with each other & had the same working experience that any actor or actress has with 95% of all those they work with.

It was a job & they had a job to do & they did it, then they went their own way, as you must recall that they both had spouses & large young families to tend too, this along with the full time job of carrying a weekly series left little or no time for any other interaction between the two, they both already had a full plate to deal with.

I have heard it said that she strongly disliked Dick York but this is in no way corroborated in the least & there is no basis to think that it is so.

These internet rumors are i feel made up by those that have their own issues & for some reason need to use this fiction to express them.

After DY left the show there was simply no reason for them to have any contact with each other as is the case with all actors pretty much once they finish a project, they just move on with their lives.

Liz had real phobias with anything medical so i can see her not wanting to go the hospital to see him for this reason.

Liz & Dick Sargent had drifted apart & lost touch shortly after Bewitched ended & had not seen each other in about 15 years till they were reunited when both were approached by Herbie J Pilato in regards to interviews for his then upcoming book The Bewitched Book, they reconnected through Herbie as they discussed if they should cooperate or not with him.

When Herbie met David White for the first time in Liz's Garden at her home as a special surprise for him, he was told by David White he had not been there for over 15 years.

So she drifted apart even from good friends as people do when the matter that brought them together in the first place ended.

So these things are natural & normal not anything that should reflect negatively on her, quite the opposite, this is how it is supposed to be & is with everyone in life & was the case as well with any member of this or any other cast of any other show.

Same thing with her good friend Carol Burnett when Carol moved to Hawaii, they just lost touch after being great friends since they did
Who's Been Sleeping in my bed? together in 1963.

She had not seen or talked to Kasey Rogers after Bewitched until at Dick Sargents funeral 22 years later.

She kept in touch with Erin Murphy mainly because Erin was such great friends with her kids, but when they all grew up Liz lost touch with Erin as well.

Life happens & means nothing other then that, as was the case when Liz & Dick York lost contact with each other & they were not even friends like she & Dick Sargent & David White were.

Larry Tate

Wanted:Classic TV Shows from the 1950s and 1960s with Elizabeth Montgomery Appearances in Them.

http://larrytate70.tripod.com/

Elizabeth Montgomery appearances in Movies, Bewitched & On TV shows on DVD that i have available in trade:

http://www.freewebs.com/larrytate550/

It is a business. I have very little contact from business associates from 25 years ago.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #24
Leslie Eckhardt
Banned!!
Banned

The only thing I've ever read regarding this was in an excellent book about Bewitched where Elizabeth was quoted as saying that both Darrins did a marvelous job in the role. She was married to William Asher at the time. Dick York was married and Dick Sargent was gay. These were co-workers, not lovers, regardless of how well they conveyed that impression on the show. If I found out a co-worker of mine from years previous had passed away, I would be sorry, but people go in different directions, especially in show business.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #25
MichaelKeith
Forum Regular

I've seen a couple of different Dick York interviews on tv and the net and he has had nothing but nice things to say about Ms. Montgomery. Also, I've heard others in the show business industry say only good things about Mr. York. Personally, I really like him as an actor. Everything I've seen him in is good.

I also love Ms. Montgomery. She is one of my favorite actresses. However, I do wish that she had reached out to Dick York at some point after he left the show if for nothing more than to just see how he was doing.

No one can deny the fantastic chemistry the two of them had on Bewitched. They were terrific together onscreen. In fact, to me, Dick was equally responsible for the success of that show as Liz was.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #26
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKeith
I've seen a couple of different Dick York interviews on tv and the net and he has had nothing but nice things to say about Ms. Montgomery. Also, I've heard others in the show business industry say only good things about Mr. York. Personally, I really like him as an actor. Everything I've seen him in is good.

I also love Ms. Montgomery. She is one of my favorite actresses. However, I do wish that she had reached out to Dick York at some point after he left the show if for nothing more than to just see how he was doing.

No one can deny the fantastic chemistry the two of them had on Bewitched. They were terrific together onscreen. In fact, to me, Dick was equally responsible for the success of that show as Liz was.

Yes, and York was definitely the better Darrin!

Old 06-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #27
Larry Tate

TV

An interesting sub plot to this is that near the end of season four Dick York pulled a Larry Hagman style power & $$$$ grab trying to get a lot more of both with a sick out that was disingenuous in nature.

Basically he hurt his back in a fall and when it was ok after 2 weeks he milked it for several more trying to force a new long term contract when he still had a year to go.

This was not well received by Liz and Bill who spoke publicly in an interview on the matter and expressed the view that York was trying to pull a fast one at that time, he even offered to take York to the Hospital to get him looked at by specialists with York declining the offer.

When it looked at that time that he might be replaced with hints from Screen Gems that if the role was too much for him physically then he should just stay home for good he made a swift recovery.

He wanted to report to the set right away but was told by the producers that they were already committed to a Non-Darrin script costing him several thousand $$$ for the episode he missed.

A Majority of Two was the one i am referencing here that he was in effect banned from the set and prevented from doing even when he indicated he could.

Point being that there could well have been some additional resentment on behalf of Liz, Bill & Harry Ackerman towards Dick York as a result of his sickout that would have made them think differently towards his unreliability and from that if they were willing to put up with it and resign him after season five.

All the more reason for Liz to want to have nothing to do with him after he left the show.

Larry Tate

My Elizabeth Montgomery Have List:

My Elizabeth Montgomery Want List:

My Non-Elizabeth Montgomery Have List:
http://larrytate700.tripod.com/

Old 06-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #28
DemandYourPickle
Frequent Poster

Quote:
An interesting sub plot to this is that near the end of season four Dick York pulled a Larry Hagman style power & $$$$ grab trying to get a lot more of both with a sick out that was disingenuous in nature.

Basically he hurt his back in a fall and when it was ok after 2 weeks he milked it for several more trying to force a new long term contract when he still had a year to go.

This was not well received by Liz and Bill who spoke publicly in an interview on the matter and expressed the view that York was trying to pull a fast one at that time, he even offered to take York to the Hospital to get him looked at by specialists with York declining the offer.

When it looked at that time that he might be replaced with hints from Screen Gems that if the role was too much for him physically then he should just stay home for good he made a swift recovery.

He wanted to report to the set right away but was told by the producers that they were already committed to a Non-Darrin script costing him several thousand $$$ for the episode he missed.

A Majority of Two was the one i am referencing here that he was in effect banned from the set and prevented from doing even when he indicated he could.

Point being that there could well have been some additional resentment on behalf of Liz, Bill & Harry Ackerman towards Dick York as a result of his sickout that would have made them think differently towards his unreliability and from that if they were willing to put up with it and resign him after season five.

All the more reason for Liz to want to have nothing to do with him after he left the show.

Larry Tate

My Elizabeth Montgomery Have List:

My Elizabeth Montgomery Want List:

My Non-Elizabeth Montgomery Have List:
http://larrytate700.tripod.com/

I don't believe it. I mean I literally don't believe it. Did you get this, er..."information" from a reliable source? Did you stumble across a tabloid article? Are there any actual recorded articles or interviews about this? I can't believe that there was such animosity on the set! You usually hear good, warm stories about the crew members and how much they liked each other. (With the exception of Sargent and Moorehead.)

I remember you posting this before, Larry Tate.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #29
Larry Tate

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemandYourPickle
I don't believe it. I mean I literally don't believe it. Did you get this, er..."information" from a reliable source? Did you stumble across a tabloid article? Are there any actual recorded articles or interviews about this? I can't believe that there was such animosity on the set! You usually hear good, warm stories about the crew members and how much they liked each other. (With the exception of Sargent and Moorehead.)

I remember you posting this before, Larry Tate.

Well believe it or not it is true, as for a source a reliable magazine article, Bill Asher...pretty good sources i would say.

It was quite public for that matter at the time, not at all hush hush and fact.

And this wasn't really animosity, it was just business, but shows how what you see on screen is fantasy and not real life, hence the post show expectation of Yorkie's are not rational nor legitimate in terms of cast interaction during or post Bewitched production.

Agnes Moorehead never had anything against Dick Sargent personally or his portrayal as Darrin, she was simply against recasting of the role at all.
She was loyal to Dick York and his friend and did not realize the extent of his physical & medical issues and their reality.

In time Agnes and Dick Sargent became friends and got along fine.
Mainly due her realizing that York was from the moment of his collapse never ever able to work again as an actor anywhere.

He was done from that moment on and only in his delusional mind could have finished the run if only given the summer to rest up.

That would have been like a one legged man thinking he could make the Olympic team as a sprinter if only allowed some time off.

There are other issues she had with York that are classified that caused her to try to fire him after season 3 due to matters between them caused by York.

Larry Tate

Old 06-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #30
DemandYourPickle
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Well believe it or not it is true, as for a source a reliable magazine article, Bill Asher...pretty good sources i would say.

It was quite public for that matter at the time, not at all hush hush and fact.

And this wasn't really animosity, it was just business, but shows how what you see on screen is fantasy and not real life, hence the post show expectation of Yorkie's are not rational nor legitimate in terms of cast interaction during or post Bewitched production.

Agnes Moorehead never had anything against Dick Sargent personally or his portrayal as Darrin, she was simply against recasting of the role at all.
She was loyal to Dick York and his friend and did not realize the extent of his physical & medical issues and their reality.

In time Agnes and Dick Sargent became friends and got along fine.
Mainly due her realizing that York was from the moment of his collapse never ever able to work again as an actor anywhere.

He was done from that moment on and only in his delusional mind could have finished the run if only given the summer to rest up.

That would have been like a one legged man thinking he could make the Olympic team as a sprinter if only allowed some time off.

There are other issues she had with York that are classified that caused her to try to fire him after season 3 due to matters between them caused by York.

Larry Tate

Depressing. But are you sure that York's motives weren't--at least--just a bit of misunderstanding on Bill Asher's part? York could be a very strange individual at times.

Liz tried to fire him after season three? I've seen someone mention that, but I thought it was just a rumor.

I'm curious. Does anybody know what exactly these "issues" were?

Closed Thread