Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

2017 Thanksgiving TV Marathons on TV This Holiday Weekend
Fox Midseason 2018 Schedule Has New Comedy; Remembering David Cassidy
CBS Gives 9JKL More Episodes; Remembering Della Reese of Touched by an Angel, Chico and the Man
COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-20-2011, 04:23 AM   #16
jsgtrman
Frequent Poster

Now that Hubb is back on Season 1, I'm noticing all kinds of interesting things. The style of the series you can definitely tell has the "Love, American Style" vibe to it (the series it was spawned from), more of a flim/ documentary feel to it than the next few seasons where it turns into more a traditional sitcom with laughs every other line. It's pretty neat to watch the early episodes again, and I also love seeing a ton of different background settings other than just "Arthur's" (before it was Arnold's, I guess? that's one interesting thing right there!), and the Cunningham interior home, as later seasons seemed to ALWAYS be at one place or the other.

In "Give the Band a Hand", some interesting things I noticed:

When Ralph (working as a bus boy!), drops plates, you here "Arnold" yell from the kitchen...and it's obviously not the Arnold we've come to know, more of a husky American voice.

This is one of the classic episodes imo, I love the scene where Howard scams the card sharks and takes them to school, being a BIGGER card shark himself... that was classic.

I'm also starting to notice Fonzie wearing the black leather jacket a little more, but still not exclusively yet at this time, as we still see the grey jacket.

On tonight's episode "Because She's There", there was some BIGGER things I noticed:

We hear Marion mention being Harry Malph's bridge partner. HARRY Malph? Ralph's Dad was later established as MICKEY Malph in later seasons, and he made several appearances as that character. And...we also see Ralph's mom, only time I remember seeing her. AND only time I can recall seeing the inside of Ralph OR Potsie's parents' homes (don't think we ever see Potsie's). Who knows WHY they changed Ralph's Dad's name, I guess they couldn't get the same guy to play the Dad in later seasons? Or maybe Ralph had 2 Dad's??? As someone pointed out, Ralph mentioned he got some items "from my Dad's store", and the MICKEY Malph we know was a dentist. So that must be it, Ralph had 2 Dad's somehow.

Also quite interesting, we see a PARTY at Ralph's house, down the basement...with Fonzie there also? Fonzie hanging out at Ralph's house? That's quite a different thing than we'd expect to see in later seasons.

Speaking of Fonzie, in these early episodes it appears he's the same age/ grade as the other guys (Richie, Ralph, & Potsie), since in "Fonzie drops In" he is in class with them. I always kinda felt Fonzie was several years older than the other guys, more like a big brother figure, so this seems/ feels a little strange to me. Does anybody offhand if Henry and Ron and Anson and Don were actually the same age in real life?

And Joanie...she sure does have the little kid "chipmunk" looks going on! I believe Marion called it that in an interview if I recall, "then she blossomed into a beaurtiful young woman". Very interesting to see Joanie as a little little girl, she was probably about 10 years old in reality at this time?
Old 05-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #17
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

sounds like you might be interested in the next Happy Days trivia game
Old 05-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
YoliUSA
Fan of the Classics

Send a message via MSN to YoliUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgtrman

Speaking of Fonzie, in these early episodes it appears he's the same age/ grade as the other guys (Richie, Ralph, & Potsie), since in "Fonzie drops In" he is in class with them. I always kinda felt Fonzie was several years older than the other guys, more like a big brother figure, so this seems/ feels a little strange to me. Does anybody offhand if Henry and Ron and Anson and Don were actually the same age in real life?

In real life Henry is the oldest; Ron the youngest. At that time, if their birthdates listed on the web are correct, Henry was 29, Anson 25, Donny 21 and Ron was 20.

Quote:
And Joanie...she sure does have the little kid "chipmunk" looks going on! I believe Marion called it that in an interview if I recall, "then she blossomed into a beaurtiful young woman". Very interesting to see Joanie as a little little girl, she was probably about 10 years old in reality at this time?

I read heard/read somewhere that filming for season 1 started on Nov-Dec of '73, so she was 13 at the time.

"Sometimes I just don't understand human behavior"- C-3PO

My DVD's
Old 05-23-2011, 04:38 AM   #19
jsgtrman
Frequent Poster

Again with the house! In "Spunkless Spunky" (Feb. 78) , I found 3 things:

1) they show the scene in the doorway of the Cunningham house, for SOME reason the front of the WHITE house we've always seen across the street...well, that's now a BLUE house...and facing SIDEWAYS??? How could they have missed that? Someone moved the background scene? Unless they live at the end of a 2 way intersection, that doesn't work...and we know they don't.

2) then we see... Dr. Joyce Brothers as herself? I know she was around in the 70's, but since the show is supposed to be set in the 50's, is she that old, or was she even known of in the 50's???

3) ahem...the new next door neighbors, the Wilson's. Well, I guess that's Mr. Wilson at the door that caught spunky eating his flowers... the end credits show the girl that visited Fonzie's apartment after their dog as Mrs. Wilson I believe...she looks 20, and ready to go out with Fonzie. So...having an affair? I guess SUPPOSED to be the Wilson daughter maybe?, but not credited that way

Interesting stuff now when you've seen these before and can look for other things and say "Huh?".

And...the house setup is STILL physically impossible. Joanie runs out the kitchen door and to the left to go towards the front of the house, but earlier the car pulls up the driveway and the garage and kitchen door are on the RIGHT side of the house (where there's no ROOM for a kitchen anyway, btw...if you see how close the side of the house is in comparison with the front door!). So, Joanie should have been running into the BACK yard. That house thing always bugged me when watching as a kid, if you map it out on a piece of paper.... well, I can't see how everybody always just let that slide by.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #20
mets82

Have you noticed that in the beginning of tonights episode, they didnt play Bill Haley and the Comets but the Happy Days theme song? They did this last week as well. I wonder why?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #21
thebigcookie

I don't know. I found last night's opening and closing on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhvWLdSiDJM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqs7Fc4Moes
Old 06-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #22
jsgtrman
Frequent Poster

Yes, I noticed that also, was very weird. It's SUPPOSED to be "Rock Around The Clock", as was the following episode with Cheryl Ladd guest starring (Wow!!! She always looked great!). For ROTC, it seems they superimposed the later "Happy Days" theme song over the opening credits that usually go with "Rock Around The Clock" in these earlier episodes...who knows why???
Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #23
NDHappyDaysFan
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Yes, I noticed that also, was very weird. It's SUPPOSED to be "Rock Around The Clock", as was the following episode with Cheryl Ladd guest starring (Wow!!! She always looked great!). For ROTC, it seems they superimposed the later "Happy Days" theme song over the opening credits that usually go with "Rock Around The Clock" in these earlier episodes...who knows why???

I believe I have seen an earlier thread on this board where they said there was some conflict with the rights to the song when they released the second season DVD, so for the DVD they used a version of the Happy Days song instead of Rock Around the Clock.

So what that means is that HUB is showing some season 2 episodes from the DVD, but others aren't from the DVD as they have correct theme song. I don't know why they would show any episodes from the DVD, though.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:51 AM   #24
jsgtrman
Frequent Poster

In tonight's "Howdy Doody" episode, when Richie and Potsie are in Arnold's, Fonzie is sitting in the booth next to them, giving them the idea to use Ralph as the Howdie Doody look-allike. This is the first and ONLY time I can recall ever seeing the green wall on the viewer's side of the arnold's booths. Usually that side is open (the side the viewers/ audience are watching from). THis is very cool how they often move the cameras around for different point of view angles in these earlier seasons, whereas in the later years we just became accustomoed to say 1/2 dozen set camera angles.

Also, in the "Get A Job" episode.... the blue chair that Richie and Leslie Charleson (aka Monica Quartermain from General Hospital! I THOUGHT that was her!)... was that the same one that's usually on the front porch of the Cunningham house? I'm betting it's the same prop.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #25
Waterston_Fan

There is an episode in the 11th season where Marion is upset over J/R being gone...

Howard comes home thorugh the front door and they talk after a few minutes. She asks him to take out the trash and he sees the big Camper...

Now if he drove all the way up to the drive way, couldn't he have seen it?

If he stopped part way, I would think he could have seen that.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #26
mets82

I dont know if I should put it here about edits and scenes that are cut out but on tonights Happy Days when Fonzie moves In, the part when Richie tells Mr. C that Fonzie is moving in and when Mr. C chokes Richie was cut out. Its too bad because that scene along with the rest of the episode is really funny.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #27
jsgtrman
Frequent Poster

I noticed on "Fonzie Moves In"...of course, a different Grandma Nuzzbaum than we see in later seasons.

Also, the Nip It pinball is replaced by ANOTHER from the 70's (NOT the 50's when the show is set) as per Fonzie's request. If you re-watch the scene in Arnold's when Richie is talking to Fonzie about Grandma moving into the upstairs apartment, we see Fonzie playing the new pinball machine. Then, at the end of the scene, I believe Fonzie says something like "let's go!", and for SOME reason if you freeze the frame, you can notice the OLD Nip It pinball machine buttons (it has 4, rather than the usual 2) as Fonzie and Richie walk away. I wonder why the did the entire scene with the new machine, then the last few lines with the old machine there? Must have had to go back and re-shoot it maybe to fix something, and the NEW machine was probably already re-replaced with the OLD (Nip It) machine??? Of course, all future episodes will have Nip It in it again, I'm sure with no explanation...

Also, back on my "that damn house" soap opera... the apartment/ room that was an attic???? Who has something like this, especially in the 50's? Think about it, you have an ATTIC. OK, let's say some people even remodelled it as a spare room. Do you put a bathroom in there also? And whose attic has an outside stairway entrance, not a ladder/ hole in the ceiling? And...("that damn house"...) where exactly IS this attic/ room/ apartment in the house layout? Is it over the actual HOUSE, where most attics are, or as I always THOUGHT, was over the garage? And then there's the stairs...I guess they must enter between the garage and house to the LEFT of the garage, then wrap wround the house so the entrance somehow comes in on the RIGHT side of the apartment. Why is this apartment so small also, especially if it's over the entire house? In the earlier seasons, we see NO staricase between the house and garage, then suddenly...poof!

I'll add this to my "That Damn House!" thread! Just thought I'd put it here since this is the first episode we see Fonzie's attic/ apartment.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #28
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Default Lillian Bronson as Mrs. Nussbaum

Quote:
"it struck me where I've seen mother Kelp (Frances Bay) before. (Shes also in the "Missing episode" "So How Was Your Weekend?" "

Oops, sorry I confused MYSELF. That wasn't Mother Kelp Frances Bay played, it was Grandma Nusbaum! She made 2 appearances in the series I believe, the episode Fonzie and Chachi thought she was going senile, and then here in the Finale. But...still think it's the bread lady on Seinfeld, if someone can confirm that?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0111523/
Lillian Bronson as Mrs. Nussbaum (19021995)
Old 01-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #29
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

What I am trying to decipher is the 1st time I hear Fonz speak on his Father was in season 2 episode 26 Happy Days A star is bored - Fonz says he had not seen his father since he was 12 years old.

Next time he mention him (not sure which episodes) he says he walked out on him when he was 6. He left him only a box with a key in it and that was it. He had to run over it a few times with his tricycle to get it open.

Next time he mentions his mother in Season 8 Episode 185 "Mother and Child Reunion", he says hadn't seen his mom since he was 6. What happened to his mom? He never actually says?

So we have different ages, then different parents, so I'm guessing he was raised by his grandmother and had absolutely no other family at all that he mentions? Anyone have anything 100% certain on his mother and father not just hear say.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #30
70s show watcher

also in the welcome home ep from season 11 we see richie;s room but it looked nothning at like the room that we saw on a regular bisis in seasons 1 and 2