Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon
Sundance Gets Original Series for VOD; GSN Gets Thanksgiving Marathons
Antenna TV January 2018 Schedule Includes Gimme a Break! and Coach; Pop Launches Wednesday Comedies in January

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-13-2011, 03:56 AM   #1
jsgtrman
Frequent Poster

Default Some things/ inconsistencies I've noticed...

There's a bunch of things I've noticed watching through the series, so thought I'd post a few here.

The Finale:
After watching the Finale "Passages" on you tube, it struck me where I've seen mother Kelp (Frances Bay) before. (Shes also in the "Missing episode" "So How Was Your Weekend?". I'm just about positive she was the lady in a Seinfeld episode, who got the last loaf of bread and then Jerry stole it from her on the street, as she screamed thief he ran away. Anybody else remember that?

In the last season, nobody ever explained where Casey went??? I guess she was up in her room studying. If Ralph and Potsie weren't invited to the wedding since they weren't family, what about Casey? ROGER was there! She's probably hanging out with Chuck somewhere.

Throughout the series:
So....now that the series has re-booted to the beginning, a few more things. I notice that in episode 4 "Guess Who's Coming to Visit?" is the first time we see Fonzie wearing his BLACK leather jacket, as he shows up to the drag race. I guess this made him look more like a drag racing hoodlum, rather than the grey jacket he wore in the daytime?

THIS has bothered me all through the series, anybody else ever notice.... the stairs going to Fonzie's room above the Cunningham garage? The bottom of the stairs are always shown (with the sign with the arrow pointing to "Fonzie") to the left of the garage, between the garage and the house. OK, then if the apartment is directly above the garage....from inside Fonzie's apartment, we see the top of the stairs to the RIGHT of his apartment entrance, where they SHOULD be on the LEFT side, right?

But then, when exiting the kitchen to the RIGHT, that would make the driveway to the LEFT of the house if you're facing it, but of course we don't see the garage to the left side of the house ever.

I also notice when panning in toward the house in opening scenes, I really don't see a driveway at all, nor a garage. The ONLY possible explanation I can think of how it can be justified, is if the driveway is actually entered from BEHIND the house, then it may all line up? But have rarely ever seen any houses like that, and I believe I'd occasionally see a car pull up the drive to the right side of the house. Am I the only one who noticed this? Anybody care to give a shot at an explanation???

In the aforementioned 4th episode above, in the scene Richie is playing basketball with Chuck in the driveway, while Joanie and Potsie watch...there are NO steps at ALL between the house and garage!!!!

Inside the house:
The scenes showing the interior of the Cunningham house.... well, the first season at least is TOTALLY different layout than the later years. Where did that dining room come from??? Did you notice in this 4th episode (and others) the entrance to the house (front door) is on the LEFT of the living room, and not the right as we've come to know it? TO the left is where the fireplace is! So, as they entered in episodes 1-4 from left to right we see: the front door, the stairs leading to upstairs, the fireplace, then the dining ROOM with 4 walls and china cabinets, as opposed to the open dining room we've also come to know just off to the side of the living room.

Anybody notice other stuff? I guess can continue to post here as you see things.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:17 AM   #2
jsgtrman
Frequent Poster

"it struck me where I've seen mother Kelp (Frances Bay) before. (Shes also in the "Missing episode" "So How Was Your Weekend?" "

Oops, sorry I confused MYSELF. That wasn't Mother Kelp Frances Bay played, it was Grandma Nusbaum! She made 2 appearances in the series I believe, the episode Fonzie and Chachi thought she was going senile, and then here in the Finale. But...still think it's the bread lady on Seinfeld, if someone can confirm that?
Old 05-13-2011, 04:33 AM   #3
jsgtrman
Frequent Poster

Another few things I thought funny in these earlier episodes was the role/ personality of Ralph. He definitely seemed more on the "cooler' side, and the one scene in Episode 4 (drag race episode) had him pulling up to "Arthur's" (as it was called then, before it was Arnold's!) with FONZIE as his passenger! WHAT??? I don't recall EVER seeing Fonzie and Ralph buddy buddy like that, and don't ever recall even seeing Fonzie in a CAR! Pretty neat to watch the early stuff again.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
dave insinga
Forum Regular

Default they did air SO HOWS YOUR WEEKEND on mothers day

the last episode on the momathon was SO HOW YOUR WEEKEND so that is not one they skipped
Old 05-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
mets82

Heres something you might have missed because it happened so fast. Last night, on Happy Days when Richie and Postie went to Postie's cousins bachelor party, in the very beginning of the episode when they pull that gag on Marsha the waitress with the dummy, Ralph says something to the effect "I got the dummy or the dummy clothes from my dads store". Now we find out later on that Ralph's father is an eye doctor.

Also, in the early episodes there was a lot of talk of Aunt Bessie but I dont think we ever saw her. However, Mother Kelp, we did see.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #6
anglemark10
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgtrman
Oops, sorry I confused MYSELF. That wasn't Mother Kelp Frances Bay played, it was Grandma Nusbaum! She made 2 appearances in the series I believe, the episode Fonzie and Chachi thought she was going senile, and then here in the Finale. But...still think it's the bread lady on Seinfeld, if someone can confirm that?
Yep, it's her.

Also, Howard's niece is K.C., not Casey. I don't think it was ever explained what happened to her.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
dave insinga
Forum Regular

Default no it was never explained

she probably went back with her family anyway next to FLIP, K.C. was the worst character ever on happy days,that whole 10th season story line about her coming to stay with howard and marion was just to have some kid in the house.
it kind of sucked but then again most of that season sucked,thank god for SEASON 11.If the show had ended then that would have been the pits.as far as the other things that were inconsistent well its a tv show about a family growing up in the 50s and early 60s made in the 70s and 80s.11 years is a long time with different writers and a cast of characters ranging in age so they tried
to keep it as interesting for the viewers and face it any show that has a decent run has these inconsistent things going on.
ex.how did andrew grow up so fast on family ties
how did chrissy grow up so fast on growing pains
on threes company was it ever explained what happen to chrissy snow and why she never came back.
the youngest daughter on family matters what happened to her.
shall i go on.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #8
NDHappyDaysFan
Occasional Poster

The whole house thing was physically impossible. I know they probably did it to make the camera work easier in front of the studio audience, but there is no way the front and back door could be on the same side of the house like that, especially once they added the backyard in season 9, which would magically be there going out of the same door from the kitchen that the garage/driveway usually was. It's like a sci-fi show.

The other inconsistancy was Joanie. In season 7, they mention her being a senior, but in season 8 she is still in school and they are talking about college, then in season 9 they are still in high school. So she had a senior year that lasted three seasons. Then she's barely in college and is already student teaching.

Then in season 11 they were talking about Fonzie living above the garage for six years. That almost works with Joannie's three season senior year, but there is still missing time since it should have been 9 years.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:10 AM   #9
mets82

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDHappyDaysFan
The whole house thing was physically impossible. I know they probably did it to make the camera work easier in front of the studio audience, but there is no way the front and back door could be on the same side of the house like that, especially once they added the backyard in season 9, which would magically be there going out of the same door from the kitchen that the garage/driveway usually was. It's like a sci-fi show.

The other inconsistancy was Joanie. In season 7, they mention her being a senior, but in season 8 she is still in school and they are talking about college, then in season 9 they are still in high school. So she had a senior year that lasted three seasons. Then she's barely in college and is already student teaching.

Then in season 11 they were talking about Fonzie living above the garage for six years. That almost works with Joannie's three season senior year, but there is still missing time since it should have been 9 years.
You have a good eye. The only thing I could think of with Joanie is that she was in high school when she left to go to Chicago(?). When she went to Chicago was she in college? Very surprised they never did a graduation episode with Joanie and Chacai.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #10
jsgtrman
Frequent Poster

Nope, when "Joanie loved Chachi" .... she was taking the summer off before going to college, they had a whole episode on this as she argued with her parents. So, then when their spinoff was cancelled, Joanie came back to go to college, but somehow magically learned enough in a few weeks to become a student teacher??? It took her 3 seasons to graduate high school, but 2 episodes to get thru college enough to be able to teach ON HER OWN, not even as an assistant to observe first,

Another thing I noticed when watching "Passages", Fonzie shows up with Danny, and everyone's talking about how great they've been getting along lately and Fonzie's his big brother/ mentor or something....how this and that....and this is the FIRST time we've ever SEEN him! I was wondering "HUH??? Did I miss a few episodes or something?". It was a pretty abrupt intro the first 5 minutes of the finale episode, then going from introducing the character to Fonzie wanting to adopt him to Fonzie getting turned down and devastated...all in about the first 15 minutes. Jeez, I've had goldfish longer than that!

It reminded me of the magical Fonzie breakup with Ashley, where it was mentioned but never seen in an episode, just suddenly "Oh yeah, they broke up a while ago, Fonzie's still getting over it"....again "Huh? Did I miss an episode or 2?".

I'm sure the writer's never thought they'd be scrutinized 35 years later for little liberties they took, they did the best they could for whatever reasons at the time I'm sure, and were probably glad just to still be ON the air. So, can understand not wanting to devote an episode to Fonzie breaking up, especially since Linda Purl wasn't on the payroll anymore either, I guess THAT is the best explanation. When we watch them in continuity NOW, we kinda expect them to flow like a daily soap opera I suppose. Back then, continuity or how they'll be viewed in reruns (or on NIck At Night that won't exist for another 10 years) understandably wasn't their biggest concern.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
Waterston_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgtrman
Nope, when "Joanie loved Chachi" .... she was taking the summer off before going to college, they had a whole episode on this as she argued with her parents. So, then when their spinoff was cancelled, Joanie came back to go to college, but somehow magically learned enough in a few weeks to become a student teacher??? It took her 3 seasons to graduate high school, but 2 episodes to get thru college enough to be able to teach ON HER OWN, not even as an assistant to observe first,

Another thing I noticed when watching "Passages", Fonzie shows up with Danny, and everyone's talking about how great they've been getting along lately and Fonzie's his big brother/ mentor or something....how this and that....and this is the FIRST time we've ever SEEN him! I was wondering "HUH??? Did I miss a few episodes or something?". It was a pretty abrupt intro the first 5 minutes of the finale episode, then going from introducing the character to Fonzie wanting to adopt him to Fonzie getting turned down and devastated...all in about the first 15 minutes. Jeez, I've had goldfish longer than that!

It reminded me of the magical Fonzie breakup with Ashley, where it was mentioned but never seen in an episode, just suddenly "Oh yeah, they broke up a while ago, Fonzie's still getting over it"....again "Huh? Did I miss an episode or 2?".

I'm sure the writer's never thought they'd be scrutinized 35 years later for little liberties they took, they did the best they could for whatever reasons at the time I'm sure, and were probably glad just to still be ON the air. So, can understand not wanting to devote an episode to Fonzie breaking up, especially since Linda Purl wasn't on the payroll anymore either, I guess THAT is the best explanation. When we watch them in continuity NOW, we kinda expect them to flow like a daily soap opera I suppose. Back then, continuity or how they'll be viewed in reruns (or on NIck At Night that won't exist for another 10 years) understandably wasn't their biggest concern.

I think they just wanted Fonzie to 'grow up' but I don't think he would be a single father at that time and maybe not now either.

Yes, the episode 'Where the guys are' they did talk about Ashley breaking up with him but then it seemed like he was fine before that episode.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
YoliUSA
Fan of the Classics

Send a message via MSN to YoliUSA
Confused

Another inconsistency: Joanie and Chachi leave for Chicago after (presumably) finishing high school, yet Jenny apparently is still in HS. Weren't Joanie and Jenny the same age? Either Joanie was older or Jenny was a grade behind. I'm guessing the writers/producers left Jenny's in HS so K.C. would have somebody to interact with.

Also, in the season 11 ep "School Dazed", Fonzie mentions that Joanie played "Candy Land" with Jenny Piccalo when they were 8, but in the season 1 ep "Fonzie Drops In" Fonzie meets Joanie for the 1st time, when she was 12-13ish.

There are inconsistencies in almost every show, but the writers probably thought back then that the casual fan wouldn't notice.

"Sometimes I just don't understand human behavior"- C-3PO

My DVD's
Old 05-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #13
mets82

You know I wonder why the writers were all over the place towards the end of the series. I mean for a show that was that popular, Im surprised that the writers just went all over the place the last few seasons based on the posts above.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:25 AM   #14
jsgtrman
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoliUSA
Another inconsistency: Joanie and Chachi leave for Chicago after (presumably) finishing high school, yet Jenny apparently is still in HS. Weren't Joanie and Jenny the same age? Either Joanie was older or Jenny was a grade behind. I'm guessing the writers/producers left Jenny's in HS so K.C. would have somebody to interact with.

Jenny made a reference in one of the shows that she better study or she'll be left behind again, or will never get out of high school...or something to that effect, explaining why she was still in HS. It was also weird then, that Jenny was always hitting on and hanging all over Roger, which would at MINIMUM make him 22-23 years old to be a teach, and she being 18. I don't recall any of my teachers EVER being just 22 years old though.

Jenny seemed like K.C. though, especially during the last season when she'd only appear out of the blue rarely to make a few cameos. Meaning...we wouldn't see her for 5-6 episodes, then all of the sudden she pops up out of the blue like "Remember ME?". I guess mostly when Joanie and Chachi appeared, but she sure seemed to hit on Chachi a lot too come to think of it, even in front of Joanie, which is a little...skanky?

I also agree that the writers did seem to get very sloppy with continuity issues towards the end. I guess there was probably enough pressure to keep up with production or just to get a show on the air, that they kinda didn't worry so much about fact checking and explaining everything as it related to what had gone before. Rather, it seemed more like they were just putting out mostly individual self contained shows, not much prior knowledge required and maybe making it easy to follow for all the new viewers who were flocking in.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #15
tmac81s
Frequent Poster

the thing that really bugged me was the whole thing in "Fonzie Moves Out", where he says he only lived above the C's for 6 years.

Generally, the 1974-84 show is set depicting 1955-65. There were some definate time shifts over the years, but for the most part, an episode would be taking place 18 or 19 years before it was airing in the real world.

Since "Fonzie Moves Out" is set in 1965, 6 years puts him moving in circa 1959.

The 1978 "Christmas Time" episode is shown depicting Christmas 1960. If Fonz moved in only one year before, that compresses almost three seasons into one year! (Fonzie Moves In" was the 1975 fall season opener, taking place around 1957.)

Fonz actually lived above the C's for 8 (or 9) years. My thought, is to blame a typo when they were printing the scripts

YES, I KNOW I'M NITPICKY! lol

"I've Heard it Both Ways"~~Shawn Spencer, "Psych"

"Victory Shal Be Mine!"~~Stewie Griffin, "Family Guy"