Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

2017 Thanksgiving TV Marathons on TV This Holiday Weekend
Fox Midseason 2018 Schedule Has New Comedy; Remembering David Cassidy
CBS Gives 9JKL More Episodes; Remembering Della Reese of Touched by an Angel, Chico and the Man
COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Fonziefan1
Occasional Poster
Ayyyyyyyy!

Default Did Linda Purl try and get more money for season 11?

I recently saw an old interview with Tom Bosley stating that a female cast member tried to get more money. It made me think that possibly Linda Purl was the one since she and Heather were a pretty prominate part of Season 10 then were not back for the final season. I may be way off, but I could see them not coming to terms if she was asking for more money. I also noticed she was the only real actor on the show not on the final TV guide HD cover with all the cast members in history (with the exception of the actor(s) who played Chuck).
Old 05-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Waterston_Fan

Wouldn't surprise me though since Crystal Bernard wasn't in it as much as Linda was.

And perhaps Fonzie needs to learn about breakup that hurts.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
MikeL
Mike Lutton Dvd Legond!

mabye it was the mother miss c or joanie they could of been the one's asking for more money just a guess.but your guess is Linda purl ashley just my two cents
Old 05-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonziefan1
I recently saw an old interview with Tom Bosley stating that a female cast member tried to get more money. It made me think that possibly Linda Purl was the one since she and Heather were a pretty prominate part of Season 10 then were not back for the final season. I may be way off, but I could see them not coming to terms if she was asking for more money.

If Linda Purl did try to get a raise for season 11, she was foolish. You don't try to negotiate a raise when your show is falling in the ratings and heading into its final season.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
Waterston_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL
mabye it was the mother miss c or joanie they could of been the one's asking for more money just a guess.but your guess is Linda purl ashley just my two cents

No, I don't see Marion or Erin asking for more money.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
YoliUSA
Fan of the Classics

Send a message via MSN to YoliUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL mabye it was the mother miss c or joanie they could of been the one's asking for more money just a guess.but your guess is Linda purl ashley just my two cents

When Tom Bosley (RIP) was interviewed on "Truth Behind The Sitcoms" (BIO Channel airs it from time to time), he mentioned that there was one actress who almost left the show because of a "ridiculous" (his word, not mine) difference in the sum they offered her. He didn't mention any names but by the way he said one can infer he was talking about Erin Moran. He did not mention in what season this occurred though.

IMO Linda Purl probably was just let go since the producers maybe just wanted the basic HD stars for the last season, since Joanie and Chachi were coming back they decided to keep it simple.

"Sometimes I just don't understand human behavior"- C-3PO

My DVD's
Old 05-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
ILUVO&H
Forum Regular

If he said the actress ALMOST left the show, then I think it would have been Erin. Because Erin didn't leave the show, except that bit of time when she did Joanie Loves Chachi.

Linda didn't almost leave she did leave and she was only there one season.

Also in the last season, it seemed like both Joanie was used a lot less and more of a background character. I just watched an episode from the last season, and I know it's syndicated and edited, but Joanie wasn't in the episode at all. It was the one where Roger becomes principal and Fonzie Dean of Boys at George Patton High.

Chachi seemed to have been used a lot less as well.

The importance of Joanie and Chachi, even as seperate characters since they were split for the entire season, seemed very diminished in the last season.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
Guy Incognito
Frequent Poster
International Man of Misery

When Tom Bosley made the comment, my first thought was Erin Moran. But the more I think about this, the more I think that it might have been Marion Ross. Because I'm guessing that both Erin and Scott Baio received a significant pay raise when they spun-off during Season 10, and they probably received more or less the same when they returned for the final year. But I can imagine Ross, having been there since the VERY beginning, watching others get elevated above her and earning spin-offs and whatnot and deciding to get as much money as she possibly could from the producers. After all, by Season 9 she and Tom were the linchpins of the series (especially after the departure of Ron Howard) and she might have decided that she was indispensable. Given Tom's tone, she discovered otherwise very quickly.

But you can't blame a person for trying.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
Waterston_Fan

I have noticed that she and Tom weren't really in much of the episodes in the last season or two, especially Marion.

Like when Joanie came home sick... Howard takes care of her? Really?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
mstewart
mstewart

Send a message via Yahoo to mstewart

I heard it was Marion Ross and Ron Howard called her to tell her that she was going to be replaced.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
CaliforniaKid
Frequent Poster

I thought I remembered hearing back in the 80's that Lynda Goodfriend wanted a bigger role and threatened to quit and caused some trouble.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPITT
I thought I remembered hearing back in the 80's that Lynda Goodfriend wanted a bigger role and threatened to quit and caused some trouble.

They probably replied with, "Hey Lynda, remember 'Who's Watching The Kids?"

If she did, she was foolish. She was hardly essential to the show. She was lucky to be there in the '80s. Ron Howard was gone. They had the perfect excuse to write her out of the show.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
Waterston_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstewart
I heard it was Marion Ross and Ron Howard called her to tell her that she was going to be replaced.

Come to think of it, we didn't see much of MR in the last season of the show, in my opinion or she had a very small part.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
dave insinga
Forum Regular

Default i don't know who wanted more money

somehow i really don't think they wanted her back.with the return of erin and scott.the show would again go back to a more traditional happy days form.the stories would be focused around the core characters.season 10 was in my opinion was the worst of all the happy days seasons.in a look back i think that the idea might have been to spin FONZIE off on his own to see if he could survive a spinoff show without actually doing it.but the end results were to far off the original happy days ideas.so i don't think ashley was even a thought for the final season of happy days.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

I do remember reading an item in the National Enquirer that a Fonzie/Ashley spin off was being considered.

On the other hand, consider the source.