Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries > All Other Cases
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Day Marathon, Plus More Classics; MeTV Pays Tribute to Marcia Strassman Tonight
CBS Fall Pilot Review: The McCarthys - Premieres Thursday, Oct. 30; TBS Orders Comedy Pilot from Daily Show Producers
TV Land's Frightfully Funny Roseanne Halloween Marathon; CBS Picks Up Full Seasons of All New Dramas
ABC Cancels Manhattan Love Story; Remembering Marcia Strassman of Welcome Back, Kotter
Week 5 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: First Cancellation of the New Season; CSI Season Cut Short; New Mill Creek DVDs
Rare Game Show on GSN with TV Veterans; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of October 27, 2014)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Default WebSleuths Sucks, Alternatives?

Are there any forums where true crime cases are discussed other than Websleuths? I find their moderating tactics a bit too Nazified for my tastes.

There is a case occurring in the news right now where it is rather obvious a family member was involved, so I posted my thoughts and theory about the case. My post was deleted because the admin says "we do not accuse family members here." Uh, well I hate to break it to them, but if family members or friends can never be discussed, that means over 80% of all murder cases cannot be discussed since murders and abductions are perpetrated by family and friends the vast majority of the time. It's stupid logic on their part. Is WS a support forum or is it a forum for objectively discussing cases? It seems to me it is more of a support forum. I have no problem with that, but they need to change the name from WebSleuths to "Web Support Of Crime Victims." It is not an objective forum where people can express opinions, and if one can't express an opinion, then why post?

At least this forum allows people to discuss their thoughts on what really happened. The problem is this forum is dead and I would like to know if there are active alternatives to WS.
DISCLAIMER: All of my posts are opinions based strictly on my viewing of the "Unsolved Mysteries" television show and should in no way reflect or imply that I have any intimate knowledge of any of the cases presented. Everything I say is merely my opinion based on my viewing of the show.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Eire
Frequent Poster

I left WS a few years ago for much the same reason. Actually, they accuse whomever they damn well please and they let it slide when it suits them. Besides, there are too many people there who swallow conspiracy theories hook, line and sinker for my liking.

I prefer porchlight international. It may not be perfect and it may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's at least friendly.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
crystaldawn

Here's another similar to websleuths:

http://www.officialcoldcaseinvestiga...com/index.php?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
Tighthead
Frequent Poster

Websleuths seem like a strange group to me. They get very emotional. There is also a large contingent who like to say "I can't believe this could happen" and get lathered up about every second crime that gets reported. At some point they have to stop being surprised.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighthead
Websleuths seem like a strange group to me. They get very emotional. There is also a large contingent who like to say "I can't believe this could happen" and get lathered up about every second crime that gets reported. At some point they have to stop being surprised.

Exactly. They come across to me as a bunch of old women who post during commercial breaks of Oprah or Days of Our Lives. Every post is a "I hope they catch the killer" or "I hope they find the girl." Yes, we all hope that, but it's boring seeing 1000 posts stating the obvious. I see no point in any online forum if debate isn't allowed. WS happens to be one of those forums.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

I'm going to check out the one CD posted.

I never joined WS because I have a yahoo email and they require a (dangit... forgot what it's called) anyway, they require one that's attached to your internet service like @ comcast.net or @ charter.net. Without that, I think you have to plead your case, be reviewed, and have a current WS member vouch for you. At least that's the way it was a couple years ago..

I do read there occasionally, but usually just to see if they've got more info on current cases than major news outlets are providing.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
Tighthead
Frequent Poster

This may fast track me to hellfire and damnation but the hand wringing of all the Nancy Grace acolytes on websleuths now is something to behold.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
Eire
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighthead
This may fast track me to hellfire and damnation but the hand wringing of all the Nancy Grace acolytes on websleuths now is something to behold.

If it fast tracks you, then it put me on the bullet train because I laughed out loud when I read it. I'm not surprised at all by the hand wringing and whatnot. Over there the sun rises and sets on Nancy Grace's opinion of everything.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
mystery_daisy
True Crime Buff

Send a message via AIM to mystery_daisy Send a message via MSN to mystery_daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
Exactly. They come across to me as a bunch of old women who post during commercial breaks of Oprah or Days of Our Lives. Every post is a "I hope they catch the killer" or "I hope they find the girl." Yes, we all hope that, but it's boring seeing 1000 posts stating the obvious. I see no point in any online forum if debate isn't allowed. WS happens to be one of those forums.

Well each case, humans are involved keep in mind. If it were your family member you'd be saying you cant believe it, and so on. And maybe it is old women who care about their own children/grandchildren but it doesn't mean they watch crap t.v. I truly hope you or your loved one never has to be "bored" like that, although i get your point about the posts being redundant. Perhaps you'd do better to read a true crime book then instead of chat boards.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
WishfulDreamer

I'm not a member, but I've found some very good information on Websleuths before.

I do have to agree that there are some loonies in there, though. And the not blaming family is plain silly; you can't be a "sleuth" in any capacity if you can't investigate all angles.

Generally, though, the people seem very kindhearted and often give helpful articles or theories into cases. I'd rather have people thinking about crime, hoping it will be solved, or trying to offer fresh perspectives than turning a blind eye to crime and issues.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #11
wiseguy182
Kristopher and Roxann

whoever runs websleuths is a worshipper of Hitler. Period. Every once in a while, I will lurk on there and you can get some interesting information about a wide array of cases, but like half of the people that have ever posted there have been banned.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
ernmerica
Frequent Poster

Can someone help me understand why on WS they close their threads and move to another?

Might be a dumb question but there has to be a good reason for it.

I found out because I was looking at the McStay family mystery and there's like 20 threads!

Is it because they dont want people editing their own posts every so often, thanks in advance, maybe it's something stupid I am just not seeing
Old 08-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
idyla
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernmerica
Can someone help me understand why on WS they close their threads and move to another?

Might be a dumb question but there has to be a good reason for it.

I found out because I was looking at the McStay family mystery and there's like 20 threads!

Is it because they dont want people editing their own posts every so often, thanks in advance, maybe it's something stupid I am just not seeing

Most boards limit each thread to x amount of posts if there isn't a limitation set by the board program itself. After awhile, the long threads get cumbersome data-wise and can slow down searches and load times (depending on the forum program). Quite a few boards I've been on have such limits.

I stopped posting there when it became "weird" or "mean" if you didn't take it seriously when someone mentioned the proliferation of human trafficking as a possible solution to a case. They also tend to be very black/white whereas I can and tend to see gray in situations. I really wish there was a good alternative to WS with more level-headed moderation. I think that site could do a lot more good than it currently does but the atmosphere isn't exactly the most friendly and welcoming for the average person.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #14
benoitbabe
Frequent Poster

www.justicequest.com

The're great. Much better than WS.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
KeshiHead
Occasional Poster
Do You Know Me, Miss Me?

I post on there, but I don't frequent it too much anymore, except for the Lyle Stevik board. I don't post on other threads unless I really have anything to contribute.