Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

2017 Thanksgiving TV Marathons on TV This Holiday Weekend
Fox Midseason 2018 Schedule Has New Comedy; Remembering David Cassidy
CBS Gives 9JKL More Episodes; Remembering Della Reese of Touched by an Angel, Chico and the Man
COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-22-2011, 02:32 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Veteran

Default Richie's Dream of Becoming a Hollywood Screenwriter

The Hub aired the two part episode from the final season involving Ron Howard (mustache and receding hairline in tow) and Donny Most's characters return from the Army. Did anybody else think in retrospect, Richie came across as a typically whiny Baby Boomer (following his personal whims and wants)? He knew full and well that he had personal obligations to Lori Beth, Richie Jr. and the baby on the way. If he wanted to purse a pipe dream of becoming a screenwriter (in a way, it was kind of Ron Howard's way of telling the audience that his going to be a big shot Hollywood director in real life), he should've done that before he got married had had kids.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Waterston_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
The Hub aired the two part episode from the final season involving Ron Howard (mustache and receding hairline in tow) and Donny Most's characters return from the Army. Did anybody else think in retrospect, Richie came across as a typically whiny Baby Boomer (following his personal whims and wants)? He knew full and well that he had personal obligations to Lori Beth, Richie Jr. and the baby on the way. If he wanted to purse a pipe dream of becoming a screenwriter (in a way, it was kind of Ron Howard's way of telling the audience that his going to be a big shot Hollywood director in real life), he should've done that before he got married had had kids.

The thing is, he could have done that and had a chance in the fifth season. I do see your point though.

No, I don't think Richie came off as a whiny baby because I would hate it if my parents treated me like I was 15 years old. I still have a sister who treats me like I'm 12, I hate being the baby of the family.

That being said, I think this is one of those cases where when you want to do something, you should do it or you will regret it. And sometimes you have to take risks.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Fonziefan1
Occasional Poster
Ayyyyyyyy!

Welcome Home ranks right up there as my all-time favorite HD episode because I feel it gave the fans, series, characters, cast closure after 11 seasons. Richie comes home as a mature adult with wife and kid (and one on the way in tow)...we see his room for the first time since the 2nd season (basically an entire decade earlier)...Richie has a mustache symbolizing his maturity....he fights the knife-wheeling bum in the bar instead of the usual hero Fonzie...he punches Fonzie (an unheard of feat)...Marion breaks Richie's Howdy Doody lamp symbolizing the end of the freckled-face kid(Richie)...always Joanie's educational superior he tries to help Joanie with her collegiate math homework and Joanie's work fumbles Richie...the core 4 sing Blue Berry hill..... and he sticks up for Potsie (his original best bud) making sure that no one takes his Arnold's softball uniform.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
mets82

I'll be honest, I dont think Richie came off as whiny but I got a bad vibe out of the episode. If it was me who wrote the episode I would have made the episodes light, funny and fluffy. I mean look at the first part. 20 mins. into the first episode, and Richie and Mr. C are fighting. 20 MINS!!! I mean we hadn't seen Richie and Ralph for 3 yrs. and you Richie and his father fighting, plus the fact Richie was in a bad mood most of the time (couldnt have soda at dinner, which I think is dumb btw, Richie punching The Fonz) and Ralph wasnt even in the 2nd part of the episode. I just think they could have had more funnier moments. It was Richie and Ralph after all.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
Waterston_Fan

I think this episode also taught us that we have to take risks and that sometimes we change our minds as to what we want as a career. When Richie left he wanted to be a journalist and when he came home he wanted to be a screenwriter.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
dave insinga
Forum Regular

Default light and fluffy

isn't this why ron howard left hd in the first place because the show became too LIGHT and FLUFFY.i think he came back because the episode was more realistic.than some of the corny episodes there were.so i personally think the two episodes were well written yes there could have been more ralph like on the arnolds baseball team with the rest of the crew.