Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Hogan Family Online / The Hogan Family links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Hogan Family Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Hogan Family

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 23, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Comedy Central Acquires Animated Comedy Favorites; Shout! to Release Saved by the Bell Collection With Previously Unreleased Episodes
New Multicast Network Start TV Launches Sept. 3 with Female Dramas; Insatiable Premieres Aug. 10 with Debby Ryan and Alyssa Milano
Showtime Gets Jillian Bell for Comedy; Rev Run Sitcom Preview
Rugrats Revived on Nickelodeon; Vanilla Ice Project Returns Aug. 11
Guests Line Up for Caroline Rhea Series; UnREAL Season 4 Premieres on Hulu
Celebrities Get Animated on Animal Planet; Freeform Drama Pilot Underway

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)

New Girl - The Complete Seventh Season Alice - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Second Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
07/03 - New Girl - The Final (Seventh) Season
07/10 - Alice - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - The Bill Engvall Show - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season
07/10 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season
07/17 - Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Good Place - The Complete Second Season
07/17 - Son of Zorn - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #61
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Karenina
Laverne without Shirley may have been the worst one for me. The show was just holding on by a string at that point.
I'd forgotten that one. Thanks for the reminder. Once Shirley was gone, the show lost what had made it work. That last season was terrible.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #62
Anna Karenina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000
I'd forgotten that one. Thanks for the reminder. Once Shirley was gone, the show lost what had made it work. That last season was terrible.
You're welcome.

I agree, that was the pits. They should have just wrapped it up as soon as possible.
Anna Karenina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #63
mets82

I do think that the series finale for Laverne and Shirley was bad. That was a backdoor pilot for Carmine?

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #64
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

Carmine was the worst character on L&S anyway.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #65
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
This article perfectly summarizes what Valerie Harper wanted/expected to do and what Miller-Boyett were used to doing. To put things in its proper perspective, if you were looking for sophisticated (like what Valerie Harper was used to when she was on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and later, Rhoda under MTM), "smart" sitcoms that didn't aim to the lowest common denominator and weren't inherently cheesy, then Miller-Boyett's kinds weren't for you. They were arguably the Chuck Lorre's (if Chuck Lorre did family-friendly comedies) of the mid '80s-late '90s:
http://www.macleans.ca/authors/jaime...-dispute-ever/
To add a bit, Miller-Boyett's sitcoms had three basic fundamentals in their formula: Be cheesy as hell, catchphrase heavy, and hokey. Full House, which debuted a year later on ABC is the biggest embodiment of this formula.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #66
king of comedy

This shows that these shows have aged well.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #67
Sonny Carson
Frequent Poster

I've really liked a lot of the episodes post-Valarie. I still think the show was better with her, but it was still good when she left. Some cheesy moments, but some that still hold up.

Like the episode where Dave hires a lousy waitress to be the Hogans Housekeeper because he likes her and Mark tells Dave
"Dave I know what your thinking about, and I know what your thinking it with", LOL. And when Mark and Willie get the x-rated tape stuck in the VCR.
Mark: "Desiree Dujour, what else has she done?
Willie: "With a name like that, probaly everybody", LMAO.
Sonny Carson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #68
king of comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of comedy
This shows that these shows have aged well.
My mistake, these shows haven't aged well is what I meant.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #69
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Carson
And when Mark and Willie get the x-rated tape stuck in the VCR.
Mark: "Desiree Dujour, what else has she done?
Willie: "With a name like that, probaly everybody", LMAO.
That one aired just yesterday; I was surprised at how much entertaining physical comedy Michael and David had together in this episode, and then at the end they had a poignant touching father-son scene.
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #70
vampirevsrobot
Frequent Poster

What a ridiculous thread.

The show actually peaked without Valerie Harper and survived for 4 more seasons with Duncan in the lead role.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:23 PM   #71
Sonny Carson
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirevsrobot
What a ridiculous thread.

The show actually peaked without Valerie Harper and survived for 4 more seasons with Duncan in the lead role.
Ratings got better because the controversy of Valarie being fired from her own show attracted more viewers. The show was still good but got more commercial and a little bit more cheesy(Dad sees a UFO, David falls in love with a princess). And you have to admit Sandy was not as strong of a lead as Val!

Last edited by Sonny Carson; 03-27-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Sonny Carson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:02 AM   #72
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Ratings got better because the controversy of Valarie being fired from her own show attracted more viewers. The show was still good but got more commercial and a little bit more cheesy(Dad sees a UFO, David falls in love with a princess). And you have to admit Sandy was not a strong of a lead a strong Val!
Same thing with Designing Women. Once Delta Burke left after the whole controversy in the press, ratings went up to see how it affected the show.
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:41 PM   #73
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Ratings got better because the controversy of Valarie being fired from her own show attracted more viewers. The show was still good but got more commercial and a little bit more cheesy(Dad sees a UFO, David falls in love with a princess). And you have to admit Sandy was not as strong of a lead as Val!
The bottom-line is that Valerie Harper was the reason the show was even created in the first place. And since her fans would in theory, be the core of any fanbase, her not acknowledging the program pretty much robs it of that support.

And quite frankly for most people, it can be hard to be a fan series which had no consistency during its entire run. Like I said, it started as vehicle for Valerie Harper to one for budding star Jason Bateman (even though Sandy Duncan was technically, the lead at this point).
Old 04-03-2018, 08:48 PM   #74
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of comedy
My mistake, these shows haven't aged well is what I meant.
One could argue that Valerie/The Hogan Family really wasn't that funny to begin with. Outside of with Valerie Harper and Jason Bateman and an occasional one-liner later on from Sandy Duncan, was the show really that amusing? And besides Jason Bateman's David, were there any real breakout characters? As talented of a performer Bateman was/is it isn't like he could easily carry the series on his own shoulders. The narrative structure just wasn't compatible with the style of humor at which he excels. I mean compare being inside the confines of the formulaic, Miller-Boyett cheese-factory to something more ahead of its time and edgier like It's Your Move.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:20 AM   #75
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
The last season of Laverne & Shirley was an utter trainwreck. It wasn't just the fact that Cindy Williams was gone after the first two episodes, it was feeling that writers ran out of decent storylines and began to come up with really far fetched ones. Like there was an episode where Laverne ends up on death row by mistake. And there is another one where they are talking to a ghost.