Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Hogan Family Online / The Hogan Family links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Hogan Family Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Hogan Family
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #46
megamanj2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCTV
Your point about Charles in Charge is an excellent one mets82. Charles in Charge is another great example of a successful retooling. I actually liked the Pembroke family way better than the first family, and the episodes were livlier, funnier, and just had a better quality to them. The first family seemed to me as sort of dull and drab, hence probably one of the reasons why the producers decided to retool the show.

Actually the Pembrokes were the 1st family.

The Powells, is the 2nd family you saw in the syndie-era.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #47
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1
I didn't enjoy the show as much without Valerie Harper. I imagine it kept her name in the title to avoid fan confusion?

Valerie was not happy that they kept the name. She expressed that in an interview where she asked "Why do they get to keep the name?" After that lawsuit was over, the name was changed to "The Hogan Family".
Old 09-15-2012, 02:44 AM   #48
jehobden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
That first year it was called Valerie's Family but on the opening credits it said Valeries Family and then it said The Hogans. lol I guess they wanted people to know it was the same show.

Actually, at least when it was on NBC, it was called Valerie for the 1 1/2 seasons where Valerie Harper starred. It was not called Valerie's Family until her character was killed off, then it was renamed The Hogan Family when it was in reruns the next June. I remember when NBC ran a promo using Shirley Ellis' "The Name Game" to promote the show's new name.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #49
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehobden
Actually, at least when it was on NBC, it was called Valerie for the 1 1/2 seasons where Valerie Harper starred. It was not called Valerie's Family until her character was killed off, then it was renamed The Hogan Family when it was in reruns the next June. I remember when NBC ran a promo using Shirley Ellis' "The Name Game" to promote the show's new name.

I remember that commercial. I didn't know what was going on at the time. LOL.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #50
missy's pop pop
Forum Regular
Hooray for "Hazel!"

Oh No "The More You Learn the Less You Know..."

Actually, "Valerie's Family: The Hogans" was a good way to handle the "loss" of Valerie Harper. The second season dealt with everyone adjusting to the death in the family, and Sandy's adjustment to becoming the mother figure.

But as with "Hazel" a generation earlier, jumping from NBC to CBS was in theory a good idea that, in practice, fell flat on its face. Accepting Edward Hillerman of "Magnum, P. I." as a new, previously unseen grandfather--who played his role as if he were still trying to boss Tom Selleck around--was something very few viewers chose to do. I know I quit watching after the network switch.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:03 AM   #51
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanj2004
What happened was that Miller-Boyett, the producers of Valerie wanted to make the show to be more slapstick, along the lines of another M-B sitcom in Perfect Strangers on ABC, which debuted about 24-25 days after Valerie premiered. Valerie, along with husband and co-producer Tony Cacciotti objected to this decision. So when tension and disagreements rose, M-B forced Valerie, along with Cacciotti off the show, which eventually led to the lawsuits and Valerie and Cacciotti winning their case, which later led to the title and name changes.

And I agree with what Sonny Carson said about the show.

This article perfectly summarizes what Valerie Harper wanted/expected to do and what Miller-Boyett were used to doing. To put things in its proper perspective, if you were looking for sophisticated (like what Valerie Harper was used to when she was on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and later, Rhoda under MTM), "smart" sitcoms that didn't aim to the lowest common denominator and weren't inherently cheesy, then Miller-Boyett's kinds weren't for you. They were arguably the Chuck Lorre's (if Chuck Lorre did family-friendly comedies) of the mid '80s-late '90s:
http://www.macleans.ca/authors/jaime...-dispute-ever/
Old 10-29-2015, 01:19 AM   #52
WatcherofOldTV
Frequent Poster

Valerie Harper was great but Sandy Duncan was also terrific.

The show was wildly successful both before and after Harper's infamous departure. After Duncan's bout with "Funny Face", she vowed never to do another show on tv again. But, with the writers and producers so desperate for another lady to replace Valerie Harper, they turned to Sandy Duncan as a last resort and a whole lot of money. Others who auditioned for the role and flopped were Sally Struthers, Marcia Strassman and Jennifer O'Neill.
Producers were looking for someone more congenial and less overbearing. However, I think I'd heard it almost turned out to be Beverly Archer. (Could be wrong though)....
Old 01-30-2016, 06:12 AM   #53
TMC
Forum Veteran

By the looks of it, the Valerie debacle if you will was really a case of having "too many cooks in the kitchen". I've read some theory that Don Johnson may have indirectly played a role in Valerie Harper getting kicked off of the show w/ her namesake. This is because, Don Johnson was asking for a huge pay-raise for Miami Vice (another NBC show), but it probably isn't that simple as it looks.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:49 AM   #54
king of comedy

It was a smooth transition.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #55
TMC
Forum Veteran

http://www.nickiswift.com/3607/actor...written-shows/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLdEKZTDH6MLG01ykAvH0jLTCzixcC1lGl

Quote:
In one of the most bizarre re-casting moves in TV history, Valerie Harper, the eponymous star of the show Valerie, was killed off and replaced by Sandy Duncan as a result of a breakdown in contract negotiations. The show was renamed Valerie's Family, then eventually The Hogan Family. It went on successfully for another five years, but behind the scenes Harper was not so easily disposed.

Harper complained in the press that despite claims to the contrary, her compensation was agreed upon, and it was other areas of the contract that were "left open to be settled later" that led to her being "kicked out." Harper maintains that the whole dispute was over "creative input" while a lawyer for the show's production company, Lorimar Telepictures, argued "that her disruptive behavior was sufficient grounds for terminating her."

Harper ended up suing basically the entire production team behind the show, including NBC, Lormiar Telepictures, the heads of both companies, as well as showrunners Tom Miller and Bob Boyett. Only her suit against Lorimar stuck, but it netted her a nice payout when a jury awarded her "$1.8 million in compensatory damages and a share of the show's profits that could top $15 million," according to People. That's not a bad severance check, but it was about more than that for Harper, who said, "We won financially and we won morally."

Read More: http://www.nickiswift.com/3607/actor..._campaign=clip
Old 06-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #56
rcbrad
Frequent Poster

The article posted above is wrong about how long the show went on. The show did not last for five years after Harper was wrongfully fired, rather the show lasted another 3 1/2 years.

The show lasted a total of 5 1/2 years.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #57
RetroGuy2000
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrad
The article posted above is wrong about how long the show went on. The show did not last for five years after Harper was wrongfully fired, rather the show lasted another 3 1/2 years.

The show lasted a total of 5 1/2 years.

That's right. Even counting the weird four-episode "season" in summer 1991, where they burned off the last unaired episodes, it would only be four years.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:59 AM   #58
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherofOldTV
Producers were looking for someone more congenial and less overbearing. However, I think I'd heard it almost turned out to be Beverly Archer. (Could be wrong though)....

I would doubt that, considering Beverly was co-starring on Mama's Family from 1986-1990.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #59
RetroGuy2000
Forum Regular

For me, the worst case of retooling on a show would be:

The Facts of Life - there were multiple retoolings: the retooling between Season 1 and 2, when half the cast was "let go"; the retooling in Season 5, when Eastland was abandoned; Season 7 when the bakery burned down and the episodes no longer revolved around Mrs. Garrett. The show became unrecognizable.

Gimme a Break - Once the girls left the show and plots revolved around Nell and Addie in New York, it became unwatchable.

Charles in Charge - The retool between Seasons 1 and 2 was unbelievable. The old family moved, but left the babysitter behind for a new family?! Please.

A Different World - The loss of Denise and Marisa Tomei and the new focus on Whitley caused me to stop watching. Also, I preferred the Season 1 theme song.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #60
Anna Karenina
Arthur Spooner Lover

Laverne without Shirley may have been the worst one for me. The show was just holding on by a string at that point.