Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Hogan Family Online / The Hogan Family links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Hogan Family Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Hogan Family
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Thumbs down Valerie / The Hogan Family Chosen As The WORST Case Of Retooling A Show

1. Valerie / Valerie’s Family: The Hogans / The Hogan Family (1986-91)

A long-term relationship with a TV show can be like a long relationship with any public institution. Sometimes the shows adapt to the needs of their patrons, evolving in tone, style, and purpose over time. Sometimes there’s turnover in personnel. And sometimes even the name changes. Rhoda star Valerie Harper returned to TV in 1986 with the sitcom Valerie, playing a working mother trying to balance the demands of her job and the rambunctiousness of three growing boys, including a teenage Jason Bateman. The show was often issue-driven, discussing teen sex, condom use, drunk driving, and AIDS. Then Harper quarreled with her producers, presuming (wrongly, as it turns out) that a show called Valerie couldn’t afford to lose its star. The next season, Valerie became Valerie’s Family: The Hogans (and later just The Hogan Family), and Harper’s character was killed off and replaced by her sister-in-law, played by Sandy Duncan. The topical subject matter gradually faded too, and the show became more about everyone in the household—including a crochety old grandpa added during thefinal season—trying to find romance. Before it was cancelled for good, the show even jumped from NBC to CBS. Anyone who stuck with it through all that was devoted. (But to what?)

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-c...etoolin,25099/

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 04-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

Actually it was one of the best cases of retooling a show. lol
Old 04-13-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

I agree, Sonny. Though I wonder why they kept using Valerie's name once she was no longer on it. They should've called it The Hogan Family as soon as Valerie Harper was off the program.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 04-13-2011, 01:36 AM   #4
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

And it had one of TV's best theme songs too!!

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-13-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Yup, the song was sung by Roberta Flack and written by Charles Gimbel/Norman Fox, the team who gave us "Killing Me Softly With His Song".
Old 04-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Heidi Dawn
Forum Regular
Muppets

Worst Case of Re-Tooling? I don't think so! I actually loved the show with both Valerie and Sandy in the lead. It dealt with a lot of topics such as racism and AIDS. Why it isn't on DVD, I'll never know, but at least the episodes are on YouTube to watch.
Complete Series Box Sets: MASH, Three's Company, Gilligan's Island, The Dukes Of Hazzard, The Golden Girls, The Monkees, The Brady Bunch, Full House, I Dream Of Jeannie, Bewitched, Taxi, Gimme A Break, Dallas, Charlie's Angels, Joanie Loves Chachi, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, The Cosby Show, The Facts of Life.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
I agree, Sonny. Though I wonder why they kept using Valerie's name once she was no longer on it. They should've called it The Hogan Family as soon as Valerie Harper was off the program.
That first year it was called Valerie's Family but on the opening credits it said Valeries Family and then it said The Hogans. lol I guess they wanted people to know it was the same show.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
McGillicuddy

Reminds me of the Dynasty spin-off series The Colbys: when it premiered the opening credits said:

Dynasty II: The Colbys, just so the audience knew it was a sequel to Dynasty. "Dynasty II" was soon dropped and it became known just as, The Colbys.

Getting back on subject, I might have thought Chico & the Man, might have been the worst case of re-tooling.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

I like the theme where Roberta Flack sang the song.

Here's a good mash-up between Hulk Hogan and The Hogan Family....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt1QNn-N1w8

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 05-23-2011, 05:47 AM   #10
glickmam
Forum Regular

Personally, I'm glad it obtained that position as the worst case of a retool, as, in my opinion, it helps ward off greedy producers from doing something to hurt a show, such as ignoring the good advice that an actor gives out. Indeed, if I was the judge in the case, not only would Ms. Harper would have received the settlement that she certainly deserved, but I also would have ordered her to be written back onto the show, and I would have ordered Thomas L. Miller and Robert L. Boyett, the producers responsible for Ms. Harper's dismissal, as well as the executives at Lorimar-Telepictures and NBC donate their entire salaries from the show to actor's groups for a 6 year period.

Last edited by glickmam : 04-08-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:58 AM   #11
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
That first year it was called Valerie's Family but on the opening credits it said Valeries Family and then it said The Hogans. lol I guess they wanted people to know it was the same show.

Just always struck me as weird.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Oh No

To me the worst case of retooling a show was Gimme a Break! After the death of Chief Kiniski his daughters were dropped from the show and Nell and Joey and a few assorted friends moved to New York. It became a completely different show. Gimme a Break!!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #13
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

Definitely disagree.

One of the worst show retoolings was Buck Rogers. They went from being on Earth to the spaceship, and added the lame robot Crichton.

Another one was Welcome Back, Kotter when they had the Sweat Hogs working for the school.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Old 05-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

OK, I've got the worst retooling to end all worst retooling...

The original "Battlestar Galactica" was retooled after being cancelled in 1979. The new show was called "Galactica: 1980" and it was a disaster. Even to my very uncritical 15 year old eyes, it was obviously a failure. It aired at 6 CST, so they had to make it much more family friendly, i.e. very little violence or intense situations. Almost the entire cast was gone, with only Lorne Greene and Herb Jefferson Jr returning, as the characters had moved about twenty years into the future. They didn't even bother saying what had happened to most of the characters that were gone! Robbie Rist, Nazis, kids on flying ten speeds all figured into the plots...need I say more??
Old 05-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro4Life
OK, I've got the worst retooling to end all worst retooling...

The original "Battlestar Galactica" was retooled after being cancelled in 1979. The new show was called "Galactica: 1980" and it was a disaster. Even to my very uncritical 15 year old eyes, it was obviously a failure. It aired at 6 CST, so they had to make it much more family friendly, i.e. very little violence or intense situations. Almost the entire cast was gone, with only Lorne Greene and Herb Jefferson Jr returning, as the characters had moved about twenty years into the future. They didn't even bother saying what had happened to most of the characters that were gone! Robbie Rist, Nazis, kids on flying ten speeds all figured into the plots...need I say more??

That was awful, but I did love that episode about Starbuck and the Cylon stranded on the planet together, I assume it was an unaired episode not used in the original.