Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

TV Land Picks Up Hilary Duff, Sutton Foster Sitcom; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Big News" Airing Tonight on Fox
Maude Mother's Day Marathon on Logo; WE tv 2014 Upfront
Week 29 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Simpsons Comes to FXX in Style; New Fox MOD Releases; Welcome Back, Kotter on DVD?
Stephen Colbert to Take Over Late Show on CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 14, 2014)
UP TV 2014 Upfront; TV Land Revives Candid Camera
The CW Schedules Sitcom This Summer from Online World; NBC's Comedy Playground Initiative: You Decide The Next Sitcom

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
TMC

Default Why Did Fonzie and Ashley Breakup Prior to the Last Season?

Ashley was that single mother (played by Linda Purl) that the Fonz dated in the second to last season. It was unique in a sense in that it was really the first time that we saw Fonzie in a monogamous relationship. I believe that the on-camera explanation was that Ashley reunited with her ex-husband. I wonder if behind-the-scenes, the producers felt that the viewers couldn't accept or believe the Fonz as a "one-woman man". They were already progressively trying to mature the Fonz by making him a high school teacher and in the last episode, have in adopt a boy.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Don't really know. It was cool to see Fonzie in an adult relationship. In real life, Henry Winkler was close to 40 and it was starting to look creepy to have a man that old chasing after teenage girls.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
Waterston_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Ashley was that single mother (played by Linda Purl) that the Fonz dated in the second to last season. It was unique in a sense in that it was really the first time that we saw Fonzie in a monogamous relationship. I believe that the on-camera explanation was that Ashley reunited with her ex-husband. I wonder if behind-the-scenes, the producers felt that the viewers couldn't accept or believe the Fonz as a "one-woman man". They were already progressively trying to mature the Fonz by making him a high school teacher and in the last episode, have in adopt a boy.

They may have made him mature but him adopting a boy as a single father was unheard of at the time and I don't know if a man or woman can adopt a child if they were single now.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 AM   #4
tmac81s
Frequent Poster

I always wondered that too. When Linda Purl joined the cast in season 10, this was the season where Joanie and Chachi left to do their own series. So I think they initially were looking for new storylines, and having Fonzie enter into a relationship with a single mother did open the door for a lot of new story ideas. Then, Joanie Love Chachi was cancelled and the characters returned to Happy Days, so maybe they decided that they didn't need this story arc anymore since they had Joanie and Chachi back, so they dropped her. This is all pure speculation. I've never heard anything official on why Ashley and Heather left the show.

"I've Heard it Both Ways"~~Shawn Spencer, "Psych"

"Victory Shal Be Mine!"~~Stewie Griffin, "Family Guy"
Old 03-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
old grouch

Was it Linda Purl's choice to leave the show or was she let go??? It's a shame that Ashley and Heather didn't stay around for the last season because the relationship between Fonzie and Ashley breathed new life into a show that was starting to get stale.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
biffbronson

I've read several interviews with Linda Purl and there's never any mention of quitting HD or being fired. I don't know why it seems interviewers never ask her about it, unless she's declined to talk about the situation.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."
Old 03-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
dave insinga
Forum Regular

Default fonzie and ashley break up explained in season 11 episode SO HOW WAS YOUR WEEKEND

The episode in short is :FONZIE IS PUSHING ROGER,POTSIE AND CHACHI TO WORK OUT AND PLAY ALL KIND OF SPORTS ALL THE TIME. THIS WAS DUE TO THE FACT THAT HE AND ASHLEY HAD BROKEN UP AND HE WAS DOING THIS TO
KEEP HIMSELF OCCUPIED.ANYWAY THE BOYS CON HIM IN TO GOING AWAY TO A SINGLES RESORT IN LAKE WHITEFISH TELLING HIM ITS A SPORTS WEEKEND.
HE ENDS UP TALKING TO A GIRL WHEN HE EXPLAINS ALL ABOUT ASHLEY AND HEATHER.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
Heidi Dawn
Forum Regular
Muppets

I didn't think Fonzie and Ashley were a good couple. I think she would have been a better match for Roger.

I also didn't like Joanie and Chachi as a couple because I thought he was mean to her all of the time.
Complete Series Box Sets: MASH, Three's Company, Gilligan's Island, The Dukes Of Hazzard, The Golden Girls, The Monkees, The Brady Bunch, Full House, I Dream Of Jeannie, Bewitched, Taxi, Gimme A Break, Dallas, Charlie's Angels, Joanie Loves Chachi.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
dave insinga
Forum Regular

this particular episode should be airing with in the next could weeks
Old 04-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #10
70s show watcher

i read somewhere that the 11th season of the show was kind of a last minute renewal and im just wondering if linda only had a 1 year contract and decided not to sign on for another year?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #11
Waterston_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70s show watcher
i read somewhere that the 11th season of the show was kind of a last minute renewal and im just wondering if linda only had a 1 year contract and decided not to sign on for another year?

That would be interesting if it was a last minute renewal but I kinda think maybe Fonzie needed to learn about heartbreak.

But if Linda and Heather came back, they would have too many cast members in the opening credits.

I wonder when he and Ashley broke up cause in the first episode of the 11th season, he sure doesn't seem that broken up.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70s show watcher
I think it was that and the fact that with the sagging ratings and Joanie and Chachi coming back they didn't have enough money for such a big cast and so someone had to go.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #13
anglemark10
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterston_Fan
I wonder when he and Ashley broke up cause in the first episode of the 11th season, he sure doesn't seem that broken up.
It wasn't mentioned until "Where the Guys Are," which was the third-aired (seventh-produced) episode of the season.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:30 AM   #14
Waterston_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglemark10
It wasn't mentioned until "Where the Guys Are," which was the third-aired (seventh-produced) episode of the season.

Seventh-produced? Where did you get that from?

I would have thought they would have that episode the first one. Because Chachi and Joanie don't seem to upset to see each other after breaking up.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #15
dave insinga
Forum Regular

Default 11th season was a gift from the network

i read somewhere that the show should have been canceled after the 10th season but since the show had been so good to abc all those years they gave the cast the 11th season to tie up all the loose ends joannie and chachi,rich and ralph and of coarse the fonz.so maybe this had something to do with the story lines.