Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Alice (Sitcoms Online) / Alice links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Alice Photo Gallery / Flo Message Board / Flo Photo Gallery

Alice - The Complete First Season

Buy Alice - The Complete First Season on DVD (WBShop.com)
(Amazon.com)
Alice - The Complete Second Season

Buy Alice - The Complete Second Season on DVD (WBShop.com)
(Amazon.com)
Alice - The Complete Third Season

Buy Alice - The Complete Third Season on DVD (WBShop.com)
(Amazon.com)
Alice - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Alice - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD (WBShop.com)
(Amazon.com)
Alice - Television Favorites

Buy Alice - Television Favorites on DVD
Flo - The Complete Series

Buy Flo - The Complete Series (WBShop.com) on DVD
(Amazon.com)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Alice
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Summer 2014 Week 9 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Community Season 6 Plans; The Equalizer Complete Series on DVD
Blossom, Big Bang Theory Star Hosting Candid Camera; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 28, 2014)
Here's Lucy Heading to Cozi TV; The CW Drops Comedies Seed, Backpackers
TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC Networks; More Info on Apt. 23 on Logo, With 8 Unaired Episodes
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC; Entourage Coming to VH1 Classic
Summer 2014 Week 7 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Continues to Lead in Emmy Nominations; WKRP and Wonder Years DVD Updates

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
JYuhas
Frequent Poster

Default When did the whole Linda Lavin/Polly Holiday thing start?

Does anybody know when it started, like either which season(s), year(s), episode(s), etc.?

Last edited by JYuhas : 03-19-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #2
mstewart
mstewart

I believe the third season when the feud between Linda Lavin and Polly Holliday started to blow open. The show took off and that was their best season. In fourth season it was full tilt. People were watching the show for Flo not Alice. In the fourth season you can the tension between those two by the way they interacted with each other on camera. There weren't too many scenes they had together as they did in the early seasons because of the tension. Look at some of the episodes fo that season and you would see Linda rolling her eyes at Polly when she gets a laugh.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
JAlanRuss72
Forum Regular

Even before I knew about the feud, I did start picking up on a little tension in season 4 (1979-80), Flo's last season. I particularly remember a very good episode where Mel installed a time clock and the waitresses were picketing the Diner. Whenever Flo would get a big laugh, Alice would look away, roll her eyes and sigh, appearing irritated. It was really a shame, too, because I actually think they did some of their best scenes together. They played off of each other's characters really well IMO.

http://facebook.com/Jrussell1972
Old 03-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
mstewart
mstewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAlanRuss72
Even before I knew about the feud, I did start picking up on a little tension in season 4 (1979-80), Flo's last season. I particularly remember a very good episode where Mel installed a time clock and the waitresses were picketing the Diner. Whenever Flo would get a big laugh, Alice would look away, roll her eyes and sigh, appearing irritated. It was really a shame, too, because I actually think they did some of their best scenes together. They played off of each other's characters really well IMO.
That season was when their feud went full tilt. You did not see them in many scenes together compared to earlier seasons. The same tension got passed to Diane Ladd who did a great job filling the shoes. I understood when Ruth Buzzi guest starred on the show Linda Lavin was threatened by her and letting her know that she is the star. What a shame. Linda would not have lasted on any of Norman Lear nor MTM shows because they were both ensemble cast where not one particular star shined.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
gttiene
Frequent Poster

It's amazing that the show stayed on for 9 seasons. It sounds like Linda had an attitude problem. It was the supporting characters that made this show in the first place. IMO.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
magellan333
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstewart
That season was when their feud went full tilt. You did not see them in many scenes together compared to earlier seasons. The same tension got passed to Diane Ladd who did a great job filling the shoes. I understood when Ruth Buzzi guest starred on the show Linda Lavin was threatened by her and letting her know that she is the star. What a shame. Linda would not have lasted on any of Norman Lear nor MTM shows because they were both ensemble cast where not one particular star shined.

If Linda Lavin was given the boot, I think the show would have carried on fine without her. Mel's character was strong enough to carry the program and it could have been retitled Mel's Diner. Think about the show Valerie. When the lead role was given the axe, it carried on fine without her and in my opinion was better.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
mstewart
mstewart

The more I read about Linda Lavin the more I dislike her. Alice could had gone down as a classic but Linda ruined it by not getting along with anyone who could outshine her.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:53 AM   #8
Dr. Jazz
Forum Veteran
The Evil Empire. . . .

While I'm not disputing anything that's been said about Linda Lavin's time on Alice, I do want to add that I had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Lavin in person on the streets of NY a few years back and she was very friendly and one of the nicest celebrities I've ever met. That's not to say that she was friendly to work with on set because I don't know lol
Old 08-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #9
glickmam
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan333
If Linda Lavin was given the boot, I think the show would have carried on fine without her. Mel's character was strong enough to carry the program and it could have been retitled Mel's Diner. Think about the show Valerie. When the lead role was given the axe, it carried on fine without her and in my opinion was better.

Better? Give me a break. As a result of how the producers treated Ms. Harper, the show is rarely seen in syndication and probably will never see the light of day on DVD. In fact, I have only one good piece of advice for Warner Bros. regarding The Hogan Family: burn the negatives and collect the insurance.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:41 AM   #10
lucyandethel
Forum Regular

I think perhaps next to Bonnie Franklin (ONE DAY AT A TIME), Linda Lavin was perhaps the most "miscast" actress to star in a sitcom. She just was not a funny person. Franklin the same...very annoying. Polly Holliday was the star of "Alice" and it never recouped itself after Holliday left.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #11
OnTheMarkTexas
Frequent Poster

Even though Polly nor Linda has ever publically spoken about their "fued" (in all likelihood, it was a one way fued on Lavin's part) Diane Ladd had no problem speaking about it on the E! True Hollywood Story as well as in print interviews.

It pretty much goes that Linda Lavin became jealous that the character of Flo had become so popular and that the tension on the set could be downright palpable at times. Lavin made it known to producers that she could no longer tolerate working with Polly Holliday.

The producers came up with the idea of a spin-off for Flo to appease both actresses. It seemed to be a good fix to a nasty situation, plus the producers were making money off of two sitcoms, not just one.

The first season of FLO (a mid-season replacement consisting of only 6 episodes) did well in the ratings. However, CBS seemed to lose interest in the show after that. During it's second season the network moved it around on the schedule and audiences quickly lost track of tho show, since from week to week, they never knew when it would air. By the end of the 1980-81 season, FLO's ratings had fallen and CBS announced it's cancellation.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
Jack77
Forum Regular

Default E! True Hollywood Story

Does anyone have Alice The E! True Hollywood Story recorded? Please contact me via private message! Thanks.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack77
Does anyone have Alice The E! True Hollywood Story recorded? Please contact me via private message! Thanks.

I never heard of a ETHS of Alice being done
Old 09-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #14
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
I never heard of a ETHS of Alice being done

Maybe it originally ran under TV Tales. TV tales was canceled by E and some of the eps were converted to THS.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #15
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE
Maybe it originally ran under TV Tales. TV tales was canceled by E and some of the eps were converted to THS.

TV Tales was so much better than THS. I have TV Tales for

Jeffersons
Welcome Back Kotter