Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Gilligan's Island (Sitcoms Online) / Gilligan's Island links and theme songs at Sicoms Online / Gilligan's Island Photo Gallery

Gilligan's Island - The Complete First Season

Buy Gilligan's Island - The Complete First Season on DVD
Gilligan's Island - The Complete Second Season

Buy Gilligan's Island - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Gilligan's Island - The Complete Third Season

Buy Gilligan's Island - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Gilligan's Island - The Complete Series

Buy Gilligan's Island - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Gilligan's Island
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

TV Land Picks Up Hilary Duff, Sutton Foster Sitcom; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Big News" Airing Tonight on Fox
Maude Mother's Day Marathon on Logo; WE tv 2014 Upfront
Week 29 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Simpsons Comes to FXX in Style; New Fox MOD Releases; Welcome Back, Kotter on DVD?
Stephen Colbert to Take Over Late Show on CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 14, 2014)
UP TV 2014 Upfront; TV Land Revives Candid Camera
The CW Schedules Sitcom This Summer from Online World; NBC's Comedy Playground Initiative: You Decide The Next Sitcom

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
The Flying Dutchmans

Default This Is Who Sang The Ballad Of Gilligans Island

For many years I have been asking the question of who sang the ballad of GI and never got the answer. In the first season I know it was the Wellingtons and have known that for quite sometime. But I always wondered who sang the ballad in the 2nd and 3rd season's as it was never credited. I know Sherwood Shwartz and George Wyle wrote the ballad, and I used to think that either Sherwood or George sang it. Deep down inside I knew I was wrong and now I know I am. I just found out on Wikpedia that according to Russel Johnson's book (Here On Gilligans Island) That it was a group called the Eligibles. Although I have never heard of The Eligibles, it is nice to finally have the long awaited answer to my question. Now I can finally rest in peace.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
Rezny@gmail.com

I've never heard of The Eligibles either.I think the theme used in the black and white first season episodes by The Wellingtons,was FAR better and more tropical-sounding than the military march-type sounding theme by The Eligibles
Old 03-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
Rezny@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrezny@usnetizen
I've never heard of The Eligibles either.I think the theme used in the black and white first season episodes by The Wellingtons,was FAR better and more tropical-sounding than the military march-type sounding theme by The Eligibles
And I forgot to add:In all of the(with all of the original series cast except for Tina Louise)TV-movies of "Gilligan's Island"-NBC's "Rescue from Gilligan's Island","The Castaways on Gilligan's Island","The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island",they used the theme by The Eligibles,NOT(I wonder why)The Wellingtons.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
The Flying Dutchmans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrezny@usnetizen
And I forgot to add:In all of the(with all of the original series cast except for Tina Louise)TV-movies of "Gilligan's Island"-NBC's "Rescue from Gilligan's Island","The Castaways on Gilligan's Island","The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island",they used the theme by The Eligibles,NOT(I wonder why)The Wellingtons.

It's possible that they used the 2nd and 3rd season theme because it was the most known. By the 2nd season GI was getting more popular. They could have chosen to use the Wellngtons version in the 3rd season again, but elected to use the Eligible's version instead. There could have been other issues like copyright or even something to do with the Wellingtons who may have wanted more money if it was used, or could have been any number of other reasons. I myself like the Eligible's version better than the Wellingtons.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
fshepinc
First Time Poster

You guys are missing the obvious: the song's lyrics were changed for the second season, giving equal billing to the Professor and Mary Ann -who in the original Wellington's version were simply "and the rest." The billing had been questioned by the cast at the very beginning of the series, but it was deemed to expensive to rerecord and reshoot the opening sequence. Later, when the show moved from B&W to color the sequence had to be reshot anyway, so a new version of the theme was recorded.

Like some of you, I much prefer the sound and style of the Wellington's version, but as a performer I know how much billing matters, so I can see why they'd stick with the later Eligibles version for later shows.

Also, The Wellingtons were a real performing group (although they made a specialty of recording TV show themes). Since The Eligibles are uncredited in the series (unlike The Wellingtons) it leads me to believe they were not, in fact, a real group but merely session singers who were "eligible" to do the recording on the date in question. Their performance is not as polished, and the harmonies not as tight as the original, which suggests that it was a rushed job. Remember, the network hated the show even though it was a ratings winner. They considered it an embarrassment, and were not likely to spend any more money on it than they had to...
Old 07-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
TV_on_the_Porch
Forum Regular
anything good on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezny@gmail.com

They used the Eligibles second-season opening and closing themes for 'Rescue' and their opening only for 'Castaways' with an updated closing sung by who-knows-who. 'Harlem Globetrotters' had an updated opening theme and the closing was, I think, the same one from the second movie.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
Rich3
Forum Regular

As much as I loved the Mosquitos (who were played by the Wellingtons plus another actor), I prefer the later version used in the 2nd and 3rd seasons. It had more of a tropical/sea-shanty feel. (Sixteen men on a dead man's chest/ Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum). I used to think the first version souned like it was sung by Gilligan, while the latter sounded more like the Skipper. Like it was sung by an old sailor.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #8
Sterling Holobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshepinc

Since The Eligibles are uncredited in the series (unlike The Wellingtons) it leads me to believe they were not, in fact, a real group but merely session singers who were "eligible" to do the recording on the date in question.
Is this them? Sounds like them.

http://youtu.be/sr9CG3jPRq8

---------------------------------------------------
Yoda: "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

My 2nd First Blog:http://saturdaymorningfunnies.wordpress.com/
Old 07-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
Rich3
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Holobyte
Is this them? Sounds like them.

http://youtu.be/sr9CG3jPRq8

That does sound very much like them. I listened to the later version of GI theme, and then this one. Very similar voices.

I also agree that these could have been sessions singers who were brought together by a TV or music producers for a few recordings. Kind of like the Monkees. But you never know.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
Rich3
Forum Regular

Here are the songs from the episode from the second season featuring the fictional band the Mosquitos, who were credited as Les Brown Jr and the Wellingtons, I believe. Their voices definitely sound like the GI season 1 theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rfU1sC5vK8
Old 08-03-2011, 03:19 AM   #11
The Flying Dutchmans

You might wanna check this out. It's about Les Browne and Les Browne JR who was a member of the fictional Rock group, Mosquitos on GI. He has really made quite a name for himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Brown_(bandleader)

Here he is today.
Attached Images

Last edited by The Flying Dutchmans : 08-04-2011 at 04:34 AM.