Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

General Dramas Questions and Discussion / Current Dramas/Dramedies Boards / Classic Dramas/Comedies Boards / Current Dramas/Dramedies Photo Galleries / Classic Dramas/Dramedies Photo Galleries


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Dramas Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Celebrates the Oscars with Stunts; HBO Sunday Series Available Early on HBO GO
Light TV, A New Classic TV and Movies Network Launches; Adam Carolla Gets Spike TV Series
Week 22 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Orders Pilot for Sitcom Starring Carol Burnett; Lou Grant to Wrap Up on DVD
IFC Orders Comedy for 2018; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of February 20, 2017)
More Celebs Slated for New Season of Who Do You Think You Are?; It's Always Sunny in VR
Three's Company 40th Anniversary Weekend on Antenna TV This March; Attention Cloud 9 Shoppers: Superstore Renewed for a 3rd Season
Freeform's Happy Hour of Comedies; Sarah Silverman Brings Her Comedy to Netflix
black-ish Leads the Way at NAACP Awards; ABC Picks Up Three TGIT Series for 2017-18


New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)

I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized) The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two Hooperman - Season One 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete First Season

01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/21 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
AB
Forum Celebrity
Supernatural
 
AB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 26, 2006
Location: The South
Posts: 34,512
Question Reruns Tonight?

Does anyone know why there are so many reruns on the major networks tonight? Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, The Mentalist, The Vampire Diaries, Nikita, etc are all reruns. And I believe there will not be any new episodes of The Vampire Diaries & Nikita until April 7. Any ideas about this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 06, 2003
Location:
Posts: 60,047
Default

The February Sweeps are all over so there's going to be more reruns now. The CW always seems to go on a longer break then the other networks. I think that's what hurts their shows so much,
__________________
Sonny
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #3
TV Knowledge Fan
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 29, 2006
Location: Long Branch, N.J.
Posts: 2,456
Default Actually, there WAS...

...one new episode of a "scripted series" on the networks last night: CBS' "RULES OF ENGAGEMENT" {"Zygote"**, at 8:30pm(et).

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
AB
Forum Celebrity
Supernatural
 
AB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 26, 2006
Location: The South
Posts: 34,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
The February Sweeps are all over so there's going to be more reruns now. The CW always seems to go on a longer break then the other networks. I think that's what hurts their shows so much,


Thanks for the info. It's hard to get used to seeing reruns in March. I understand having them during the holidays but having them in March too, seems excessive. I miss the days when shows ran longer & reruns were mainly shown during the summer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
AB
Forum Celebrity
Supernatural
 
AB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 26, 2006
Location: The South
Posts: 34,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Knowledge Fan
...one new episode of a "scripted series" on the networks last night: CBS' "RULES OF ENGAGEMENT" {"Zygote"**, at 8:30pm(et).


Yep, I watched that one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 06, 2003
Location:
Posts: 60,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB
Thanks for the info. It's hard to get used to seeing reruns in March. I understand having them during the holidays but having them in March too, seems excessive. I miss the days when shows ran longer & reruns were mainly shown during the summer.
I agree. I don't understand how shows in the 1950's had 39 episodes a season. Even shows in the 1960's had at least 30. I would love to have it like that again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:40 AM   #7
TV Knowledge Fan
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 29, 2006
Location: Long Branch, N.J.
Posts: 2,456
Default The only reason why the number of episodes in any given season...

...began to be curtailed by the mid-'60s was that the brodacast networks found they could get away with scheduling less episodes and feature more repeats in the spring and summer {DUH!**. The 39 episode season was a holdover from radio, where a typical season of a successful live radio show [Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Burns & Allen, "THE AMOS 'N' ANDY SHOW", "THE JOHNSON'S WAX PROGRAM WITH FIBBER McGEE & MOLLY", et. al.] was scheduled from around the start of October through the end of the following June, followed by 13 weeks of a "summer replacement" series lasting from July through September. When network televsion began by the end of the '40s, this practice continued into the new medium, even when filmed programming eventually overtook "live" series by the end of the '50s. In the early '60s, though, some shows began to produce 36 week seasons, while some were whittled down to about 30. By 1966, though, the consensus of the major networks was that the typical TV season would last from early September to sometime in April or May, depending on how many episodes per season were produced. "26" became the new standard by the end of the decade....then "24" in the early '70s (which meant some series ran out of fresh episodes by early March). Now, 22 episodes of a "standard" sitcom or drama are the maximum...unless the show is so wildly successful, the network might ask the producer for two or three additional episodes to extend the season and generate more ad revenue.

Nowadays, there are more repeats sprinkled in December, January and March, with the last handful of episodes held until May {"sweeps", which are also held in November and February, decide what stations and networks can charge higher ad rates, as determined by how many viewers they can draw with "fresh" programming**. Got that?

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
Regulus
Senior Member
Member
 
Regulus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 07, 2011
Location: Port Orange, Florda Avatar = The Poiuyt is back!
Posts: 2,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Knowledge Fan
...began to be curtailed by the mid-'60s was that the brodacast networks found they could get away with scheduling less episodes and feature more repeats in the spring and summer {DUH!**. The 39 episode season was a holdover from radio, where a typical season of a successful live radio show [Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Burns & Allen, "THE AMOS 'N' ANDY SHOW", "THE JOHNSON'S WAX PROGRAM WITH FIBBER McGEE & MOLLY", et. al.] was scheduled from around the start of October through the end of the following June, followed by 13 weeks of a "summer replacement" series lasting from July through September. When network televsion began by the end of the '40s, this practice continued into the new medium, even when filmed programming eventually overtook "live" series by the end of the '50s. In the early '60s, though, some shows began to produce 36 week seasons, while some were whittled down to about 30. By 1966, though, the consensus of the major networks was that the typical TV season would last from early September to sometime in April or May, depending on how many episodes per season were produced. "26" became the new standard by the end of the decade....then "24" in the early '70s (which meant some series ran out of fresh episodes by early March). Now, 22 episodes of a "standard" sitcom or drama are the maximum...unless the show is so wildly successful, the network might ask the producer for two or three additional episodes to extend the season and generate more ad revenue.

Nowadays, there are more repeats sprinkled in December, January and March, with the last handful of episodes held until May {"sweeps", which are also held in November and February, decide what stations and networks can charge higher ad rates, as determined by how many viewers they can draw with "fresh" programming**. Got that?


So that explains why shows in the 1950s had so many episodes. They didn't have "Reruns" in the beginning, these most likely came on after they "shortened" the seasons to 26 or less episodes per season. Today there are times you are lucky to see 20 episodes per season, and running all episodes sequentially before repeating them has also become a thing of the past. I won't rant about the shortening of the individual episodes from 52 Minutes to less than 40 Minutes, as we all know why they did that!

Thank Heaven for DVDs!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.