Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Brady Bunch (Sitcoms Online) / The Brady Bunch links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Brady Bunch Photo Gallery

The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series (Seasons 1-5; Shag Carpet Cover;
Bonus Disc with A Very Brady Christmas, The Brady 500 and The Brady Kids cartoon episodes) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Brady Bunch
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Antenna TV Spends Mother's Day with Hazel; HBO Picks Up Comedies Veep, Silicon Valley
CBS Midseason Pilot Review: Bad Teacher - Premieres Thursday, April 24; Rookie Blue Coming to ION Television in Fall 2014
Bill Cosby to Be Honored with Johnny Carson Award; SNL Celebrates 40th Anniversary in 2015
Sullivan & Son Returns with All-Star Guests; George Lopez Developing Animated Series
Review of Tonight's Devious Maids Premiere; Week 30 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: SNL Looking to 40th Anniversary; New Mill Creek DVD Releases
The CW Summer 2014 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 21, 2014)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Zoneboy
Forum Veteran
Classic Country Fan

Exclamation Eve Plumb Not Paid For ‘Brady Bunch’ Reruns

Link

Although children everywhere grew up on a steady diet of The Brady Bunch, Eve Plumb (Jan Brady) isn’t the billionaire you might expect her to be.

She can be found onstage in the title role of the off-Broadway play Miss Abigail’s Guide to Dating, Mating and Marriage, which takes place at Sofia’s Downstairs Theater in NYC. Barry Williams (Greg Brady) has seen her turn as a relationship expert to the stars in the hilarious and interactive show that comes complete with souvenir advice cards.

I meet the TV icon before the performance to catch up about her past, present and future. The guarded actress, 52, is kind and serious in person, and full of charm onstage.

But the woman who played the middle Brady sister from 1969-1974 always embodies a good spirit, even when asked about her relationship with Maureen McCormick (older sister Marcia Brady) these days. She makes a face and zips her lip, which is a very Brady-like thing to do. I can picture one of the kids on the classic sitcom saying “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.”

Eve does say there’s no rivalry, however, between the ladies. Also: She doesn’t keep up with the Bunch, and she’s open to another reunion with the cast based on the timing and situation.

But for all the fame and notoriety associated with The Brady Bunch, Eve is financially unaffected.

“The biggest misconception is that we’re all rich from it, but we are not. We have not been paid for reruns of the show for many, many years. We are not making money off of it at all.”

I gasp – I watched The Brady Bunch every day as a kid, and it’s still airing. Um, can they fix that?

“I don’t think so,” she says. “We’ve tried a couple of times. If they use clips of the show in a movie now, they have to get our permission and pay us, but that’s usually very low money, and often we get asked to have clip usage for free. I’m a big proponent of being paid for my work [laughs], and since the going thing now is to use clips, to pay the actor, um, I’m going to continue to ask for that. I’m happy to give permission, but sometimes people tell me ‘you have to promote it and play on that all the time.’ Well, if I do, shouldn’t I be paid for it? Shouldn’t that be the benefit? Otherwise, I should go make belts in Mexico, right?”

Looking back, Eve reflects on what she’d tell her younger self.

“I’ve learned that you’ll continually make mistakes,” she says with a chortle. “There may have been a couple stumbles along the way, but so many times, the wind makes the sapling grow strong. I don’t think that you can always avoid adversity, but hopefully you can learn lessons along the way. You will learn from those mistakes and not put your hand in the stove when it’s hot.”

But she wouldn’t change a thing when it comes to childhood stardom.

“It wasn’t difficult for me. It was a good time. The travel was fun. I had good, supportive parents, and I got to learn a craft. I got to learn how to act for television, I got to learn how to memorize lines and how to be a professional person.”

She tells me I probably knew ornery kids when asked why child stars get in trouble, saying “anyone can get in trouble,” and advises the Justin Biebers and Miley Cyruses of today.

“Don’t quit your day job,” she says with a chuckle. “Save the money and buy a house. Don’t squander what you’ve got because it won’t always last.”

Still, she doesn’t yearn for her fame enough to take a turn on Dancing With The Stars like TV mom Florence Henderson did.

“It’s pretty tough,” she reasons. “I don’t think I’m a good dancer.”

When Eve’s not acting, she seeks solace in her artwork.

“I’ve always painted off and on throughout the years because it’s something that you can have complete control over. As an actor, you have to wait for the auditions to come. As an actor, I started doing it to have that control, and I kept up with it, kept teaching myself, kept working on it, and I got to where I like it well enough to show people, and before you knew it, 25 years have passed and I’m in a bunch of galleries.”

She adds, “I call it nonconfrontational art. It’s essentially still lifes, oil on canvas. It’s of my personality. [laughs] You know, nice. I focus on still lifes, so small moments from my life. Coffee cups, restaurant scenes, stuff like that. Some interesting arrangement where the light is falling in an interesting way that I want to depict and show to other people.”

When she’s not acting or painting, Eve enjoys spending time with husband Ken Pace and walking her dog (a rescue – terrier mix) whose name she won’t reveal. “Um, you know.”

For now, Eve is adjusting as life as a New Yorker (snow!) after a life lived in California.

“This whole journey of coming here to NYC has been very interesting. I decided if I was going to live someplace else, I’d better do it pretty soon because there’s not a whole lot of time left where you can just pick up and say ’I’m going to pick up and do something.’ I figured Paris was too hard with all that French, and if I was going to do NYC, I should do it while I can still climb subway stairs while I’m carrying a heavy bag. Lo and behold, here I am.”

She adds, “I love New York, and I always have. I’ve always come here off and on over the years, and I’ve always wanted to live here, so I’m lucky that my husband is so massively supportive, and decided to make this change with me because it’s been pretty big.”

And when Miss Abigail wraps, she hopes to stay in NYC for her next acting gig.

But one thing we won’t see her do is write a tell-all book.

“There’s nothing to tell. [laughs] And then, I painted a picture of a coffee cup. It’s a nice picture, it’s a nice painting, but I don’t know how interesting the telling of that would be.”

Time for the play, which is a rollicking good time. Eve sparkles as Miss Abigail.

Afterwards, a woman wearing a long white coat capped with a furry hood takes me aside when I’m told to wait for Eve in the hallway. Surprise – it’s her!

During the play, showgoers are asked to submit their most outrageous dating and mating questions for her to answer. Hm, does that get embarrassing?

“We cull the weird ones, so these are the least weird,” Eve says with a giggle. “We’re ready for this level of weird, and we’re always trying to keep it light and happy, and not delve into anything too serious or strange.”

Um, does she feel badly about making fun of (a thinly veiled) Jennifer Aniston in the play?

“Oh, of course not. I’m sure this is not on her radar at all. She’s too busy having her fabulous life. And I thought about that, but people make fun of me all the time, so I’m sure she’s used to it.”

But she wouldn’t want to know if there were celebrities in the audience. “That would make me too nervous.”

What has been her biggest lesson in love?

“If you haven’t found love yet, keep trying. Miss Abigail says life is too short, and love is too precious. It’s worth it.”

I tell her she’s fabulous, such an icon, one of the most famous people in the world….

“That’ll get you $2 and a coffee,” she says wryly.

(R.G. Armstrong as the Contractor in The Twilight Zone episode "Nothing in the Dark")
Old 02-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.

Cool

Nice article. Eve seems healthy and well adjusted. (in spite of not getting residuals from the Brady Bunch!) Good for her!

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

What happened to Eve regarding residuals isn't uncommon. No one knew back then that the reruns would continue to be shown years and decades later, so most stars of that era signed a contract allowing for a few cycles of repeats with payments.

Of course, in the Brady Bunch's case, those cycles ran out pretty quickly with daily airings in strip syndication.

I would imagine these days that contracts are more comprehensive, allowing for perpetual reruns and DVD sets, etc.

Audrey Meadows had it written into her Honeymooners contract that she would receive "residuals in perpetuity." I imagine she probably made considerable money from that contractual clause. Apparently she knew something even Jackie Gleason didn't know back then.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:47 AM   #4
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Well, NO ONE in The Brady Bunch gets residuals. Susan Olsen (Cindy) has never made any bones about that.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 02-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
Tweety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
What happened to Eve regarding residuals isn't uncommon. No one knew back then that the reruns would continue to be shown years and decades later, so most stars of that era signed a contract allowing for a few cycles of repeats with payments. ....

Very true. The vast majority of contracts in those days (and prior to that, going back to the 50s) allowed for residuals for only the first few reruns of the show, but after that, the kids got nothing. I think I read that Jerry Mathers was only paid for about the first seven or so reruns of Leave it to Beaver, and after that, nothing.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
Tweety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301
Nice article. Eve seems healthy and well adjusted. (in spite of not getting residuals from the Brady Bunch!) Good for her!

Yeah, Eve seems perfectly content to just leave Jan Brady in the past and get on with her real life. She's usually patient when talking about the BB, but I'm sure she feels that the show's been talked to death and there's really nothing left to say about it.

When I see Florence Henderson and Barry Williams together on a show, and they try to throw in an innuendo about the two of them dating during the show, and adding something like "well, maybe we haven't told the whole story of everything that happened that night" (audience whoops it up), I'm thinking "that's just so stupid. Everyone knows by now that Barry took Florence to dinner and that was it. Give it a rest already!".
Old 02-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety

When I see Florence Henderson and Barry Williams together on a show, and they try to throw in an innuendo about the two of them dating during the show, and adding something like "well, maybe we haven't told the whole story of everything that happened that night" (audience whoops it up), I'm thinking "that's just so stupid. Everyone knows by now that Barry took Florence to dinner and that was it. Give it a rest already!".

First off, @ Tweety, thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am glad somebody feels the same way I do. I am getting tired of hearing about that crap. It was 40 years ago and I don't think anything happened.

Second, Eve lives here in the City? I gotta find her. LOL.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
biffbronson

I wonder if Eve had some second thoughts about living in NYC permanently considering how much snow they got this winter...!

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."
Old 03-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
sixfingers
John Alan Elson

I heard that they got paid for the first 11 times it was shown or something like that.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:19 AM   #10
comedyfreak
Where No One Has Gone Before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety
Very true. The vast majority of contracts in those days (and prior to that, going back to the 50s) allowed for residuals for only the first few reruns of the show, but after that, the kids got nothing. I think I read that Jerry Mathers was only paid for about the first seven or so reruns of Leave it to Beaver, and after that, nothing.
The actors from all the old tv shows didn't received any residuals like Gilligan's Island, The Beverly Hillbillies etc.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
Sammy Reed
Forum Regular

All I can say is:
PC has gotten really pathetic now, whenever you have to use terms like
"a rescue-terrier mix" to describe a dog.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #12
Yong Fang
Forum Regular

About 15 years ago or so, Eve Plumb was on a daytime talk show (forgot which one, maybe Ricki Lake) with some other kid actors. She was an artist, did theater or some artsy thing and this is what she wanted only to talk about.

She REFUSED to do "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" after an audience member asked. Others were clapping, but she just refused. The funny thing was that she, again, wanted to talk about what her life was in that present time, but no one cared about that. People wanted to know about The Brady Bunch, and this annoyed her. Personally, I dont think Eve should have done that show, if she did not want to talk about the only reason she was on the show. That's like having John Elway on a sports show and he refused to talk about the Broncos and only about selling cars and being rich. Nobody cares about that.

She got really pretty the last year of the show (see pic above on the left). Eve was a serious actress and did other stuff on TV, and she wisely did not do the Brady Bunch Variety Show (saw it the other day for the first time in decades, and besides a 21 year old Maureen McCormack, the show stunk). She was unfortunately typecast as Jan Brady which kept her from doing other roles, of all the actors, she and Barry Williams were the best and the most professionally trained and could have done more than what they did (which was more Brady Bunch garbage). Typecasting really sucks.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
TV_on_the_Porch
Forum Regular
anything good on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comedyfreak
The actors from all the old tv shows didn't received any residuals like Gilligan's Island, The Beverly Hillbillies etc.

Buddy Ebsen did get residuals for BH. When asked about his costars who did not he said--and I quote--"That's their problem."

Ernest Borgnine also gets residuals from McHales Navy, so some actors and/or agents were savvy enough to secure them even then.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
Bronson
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang
About 15 years ago or so, Eve Plumb was on a daytime talk show (forgot which one, maybe Ricki Lake) with some other kid actors. She was an artist, did theater or some artsy thing and this is what she wanted only to talk about.

She REFUSED to do "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" after an audience member asked. Others were clapping, but she just refused. The funny thing was that she, again, wanted to talk about what her life was in that present time, but no one cared about that. People wanted to know about The Brady Bunch, and this annoyed her. Personally, I dont think Eve should have done that show, if she did not want to talk about the only reason she was on the show. That's like having John Elway on a sports show and he refused to talk about the Broncos and only about selling cars and being rich. Nobody cares about that.

She got really pretty the last year of the show (see pic above on the left). Eve was a serious actress and did other stuff on TV, and she wisely did not do the Brady Bunch Variety Show (saw it the other day for the first time in decades, and besides a 21 year old Maureen McCormack, the show stunk). She was unfortunately typecast as Jan Brady which kept her from doing other roles, of all the actors, she and Barry Williams were the best and the most professionally trained and could have done more than what they did (which was more Brady Bunch garbage). Typecasting really sucks.

It was the Jenny Jones Show and I saw it on YouTube I did not blame her for refusing to say "Marcia, Maricia, Maricia" like some trained parrot. She is probably tired of that stuff and being asked the same questions 100 over.

She has done other things since then and is an artist. She was on Geraldo Rivera show and she was very patient and nice as he was an ass to her. He started by mispronouncing her last time.

I have great respect for her and wish her well. I will probably never meet her but if I did, my only questions that I would ask would be if she ever wants to do a television series again and how does she prefer being on stage to being on television.

I am sorry that she and other stars of past shows were no compensated as they are now.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV_on_the_Porch
Buddy Ebsen did get residuals for BH. When asked about his costars who did not he said--and I quote--"That's their problem."

Ernest Borgnine also gets residuals from McHales Navy, so some actors and/or agents were savvy enough to secure them even then.

Audrey Meadows insisted on "residuals in perpetuity" in her Honeymooners contract. I believe it was a nice pension for her in later years, as the show stayed on the air consistently from the fifties up until the eighties, I'd say.